Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this video, you'll see a Tesla hit a big pothole at 70 MPH (start watching at 20:00):

I found the video interesting for two reasons:

1. The tire goes flat, and although he eventually gets a free tow from Tesla, it made me glad I bought a spare.

2. I suspect that if he had been watching the road instead of making a video, he would have seen the pothole, taken over, and avoided it. Not judging here; just an observation.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I think your location may matter for options/response time, but I had a wheel/tire changed out with a free Tesla loaner and back on the road in about 20 minutes. Granted this was 2016 in my Model S, so I'm not exactly sure what things might be like with so many Teslas on the road now.

FWIW, the tow truck dropped the wheel/tire at the Tesla service location of my choice (Palo Alto back then) and the service person found the nail, circled it and told me to take to Americas Tire to get it patched (which I did the next day, dropping off the loaner on my way home). Zero cost and a little time. This was the best experience I could have hoped for and makes me think spares aren't need at all if service is still that good.

On a side note, I got a nail in my M3 last month... it happened on the highway and I was able to safely/directly drive to Americas Tire. They would not patch it specifically due to the brand/type of tire (Continental ProContact RX).https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...odel 3&autoModClar=Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

I think your location may matter for options/response time, but I had a wheel/tire changed out with a free Tesla loaner and back on the road in about 20 minutes. Granted this was 2016 in my Model S, so I'm not exactly sure what things might be like with so many Teslas on the road now.

FWIW, the tow truck dropped the wheel/tire at the Tesla service location of my choice (Palo Alto back then) and the service person found the nail, circled it and told me to take to Americas Tire to get it patched (which I did the next day, dropping off the loaner on my way home). Zero cost and a little time. This was the best experience I could have hoped for and makes me think spares aren't need at all if service is still that good.

On a side note, I got a nail in my M3 last month... it happened on the highway and I was able to safely/directly drive to Americas Tire. They would not patch it specifically due to the brand/type of tire (Continental ProContact RX).

Sounds like you need to invest in portable air pump. Nails usually leak slowly enough to give you time to get to a tire shop or home if you fill it up along the way.

I spare tire would have not taken more space than the electric bike. that's would have been my first choice.

Really?? So if you have a slow leak from a nail, you would rather change the tire and put on a temporary spare to drive home or to a shop than just pump up the tire and be on your way?

A spare is only necessary if the tire won't hold air at all, and a patch kit can't be used, like a sidewall tear.

Really?? So if you have a slow leak from a nail, you would rather change the tire and put on a temporary spare to drive home or to a shop than just pump up the tire and be on your way?

A spare is only necessary if the tire won't hold air at all, and a patch kit can't be used, like a sidewall tear.
Well, I have a tire plug kit, I don't have an electric pump but I have a floor pump rated 180 PSI for my road bike...
However I never tried on a tire, would be certainly a good workout, but at least there is no risk to burn a fuse.

Now, how many spare tires should I carry to be safe... I imagine that you saw Jason Fenske's video: Hitting A Pothole In A Tesla Cost $2600.

Last edited:
So if you have a slow leak from a nail, you would rather change the tire and put on a temporary spare to drive home or to a shop than just pump up the tire and be on your way?

It depends on how slow the leak is, where you are, and when you have to get to where you're going.

If I were in the situation in the video, I'd have my spare on in ten minutes, and I'd be on my way.

Very true.

This is also a +1 to the CHAdeMO adapter and a great demonstration of the fact that these adapters do serve a purpose. It brings the EV experience a little closer to the convenience of gas stations just by having more spots available. He wasn't that far from a Supercharger, but didn't have the ability to get there anyways.

I just got to the part where he starts charging but reading the thread... why does Tesla give out free tows for this? Do they do this outside the US as well? I cannot imagine getting a free tow for hitting a pothole.

2. I suspect that if he had been watching the road instead of making a video, he would have seen the pothole, taken over, and avoided it. Not judging here; just an observation.

Since he is in show business, I suspect he is very happy he hIt that pothole so he’d have something more interesting than just driving from charger to charger in his video. In fact, I think some YouTubers stage this kind of drama to boost views and subscribers just like all reality TV on TV is scripted.

Reactions: house9
Just another reason why I prefer the beefier 18" tires, than those low profile larger tires. More tire beef, means more protection from road potholes.

I'm curious why they didn't bring him a loaner tire, instead of just towing him. Usually they will install a loaner tire and you have a few days to return it to Tesla or they will charge you for the tire. But from what I have been told, most people just keep the tire and accept the charge for the tire.

Last edited:
Would they not repair it because of the acoustic foam ?

I assume that is so, but they didn't say that and they repair other tires with foam (at least in the past as they did with my MS). The only thing they said was that they won't repair that specific brand of tire. It could be a move to make or save money (perhaps it takes too long to repair) but I have to assume it's a risk/insurance issue (Continental says they shouldn't be repaired for instance).