Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flint Supercharger Open to All BEV’s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even V4 cables could do with being at least a metre longer than they are.

The holsters are garbage too. Though I keep being told they are rolling out a new holster design, but yet to clap eyes on one. So plenty of damaged guns/connectors that aren't even 6 months old.

Mayhem at Trafford centre 4 non Tesla taking up 8 bays!!!! It states on the website if you can’t use the chargers correctly then don’t use them. As far as I’m concerned if your charge port is on the wrong side then you can’t use them properly. Tesla should be on this as owners are getting super frustrated
This was Trafford yesterday, I arrived to it virtually full of just Teslas at 3:30pm but as I was leaving at 4:00pm we were descended on by dpd vans and a VW.
At least the vans only took one bay and are probably evening users compared to the VW that took two.
If Tesla are going to open SC's to non Teslas then the least they can do is to install longer cables!

20240219_155546.jpg

A note for the Mod(s): posts #6 onwards are not specific to Flint and I think would sit better in this thread:

If you are delivering 200kW the longer cables needed would also have to be a lot thicker to avoid getting hot and dropping the voltage too much. The existing cables are heavy enough to be awkward, longer thicker ones could be unmanageable and might need different plugs. I understood the latest high powered superchargers had liquid cooling of the cables to overcome the problem but someone may be able to confirm or deny this.
I had my first experience of a full charging station with one bay unusable because an ID3 was using its cable in the adjacent bay. Since a Tesla would have been charged £1/ minute idle fees for occupying a bay and not charging I figure the VW owner should be paying a surcharge of £1/ minute all the time they were charging.
I’m not surprised other cars are using Tesla chargers - they look to be much cheaper than any other fast chargers.

Reactions: djtaylor
If you are delivering 200kW the longer cables needed would also have to be a lot thicker to avoid getting hot and dropping the voltage too much. The existing cables are heavy enough to be awkward, longer thicker ones could be unmanageable and might need different plugs. I understood the latest high powered superchargers had liquid cooling of the cables to overcome the problem but someone may be able to confirm or deny this.
I had my first experience of a full charging station with one bay unusable because an ID3 was using its cable in the adjacent bay. Since a Tesla would have been charged £1/ minute idle fees for occupying a bay and not charging I figure the VW owner should be paying a surcharge of £1/ minute all the time they were charging.
I’m not surprised other cars are using Tesla chargers - they look to be much cheaper than any other fast chargers.
Tesla have first mover advantage here. They built up before the other charging companies and had car sales to help subsidise the charger installation. By this point they have a really strong lead and I suspect that allows them to just do this cheaper than the other networks.

Took my wife to her first non-Tesla charger today. She had a go and got it working in the end but it wasn’t something she found all that easy. Tesla’s plug in and that’s it is how it should be. Even just using the app for other cars is probably easier than the faff of some other networks, plus more likely you’ll rock up and the chargers are working.

There is a new 4 bay site called Heartlands, in Scotland. They are centrally positioned for use either side.
The future...

Nice simple solution.

Maybe repainting the lines (to centre the bay around the cable) of existing open sites would achieve similar effect? Might lose one bay (but better than 50% utilisation) and not be suitable for when superchargers are parallel with the bay thus shortening it, but it may suit some sites.

Nice simple solution.

Maybe repainting the lines (to centre the bay around the cable) of existing open sites would achieve similar effect? Might lose one bay (but better than 50% utilisation) and not be suitable for when superchargers are parallel with the bay thus shortening it, but it may suit some sites.
The cables are not long enough to bend round, at present. Would need the new ones, as in Heartlands, which are not heavy and more flexible.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
You say it's not but then don't go on to explain how the process is any different, only that the Tesla app is subjectively "good and solid".

The process is identical because you have to fire up an app, you need to add your payment details and then you need to plug in, find what charger you're plugged into and then initiate the charge. There is literally zero difference.

Reactions: yessuz