Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida hot summer sun, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought a 2021 LR S, and have to keep it outside for a week or two and wonder whether I should be concerned that the interior is getting way hot.

Should I be concerned or worried? Cabin is empty but concerned about whether to use the overheat protection at 100 degrees or not. If it's in the hot sun all day, then overheat protection would be on all day, and I can't imagine that's a good thing.

Any advice? I'm sweating!

"Overheat Protection" doesn't really need to be turned on. It just makes cooling the car somewhat faster when you want to drive somewhere.

What you didn't mention is whether the car can be plugged in or not. If you can, two things:
  1. If you still want overheat protection, the car will preferentially get it from the wall socket. But that'll be money. You still don't have to do overheat.
  2. If you have it plugged in, there's scheduled departure (if you leave at predictable times) or just turning on the HVAC remotely, about ten minutes before leaving. Ten minutes is enough to make the interior livable.

We have never used "overheat protection". For us we simply setup a schedule to precondition to make the cabin temps comfortable based on when my wife leaves work. For example....at home we setup a schedule to precondition at the time the car needs to leave. WORKS GREAT!

When the car leaves work, we set up the same thing to say the car needs to be at 70 degrees at the time my wife leaves. And YES it does work! That is for her regular schedule. If she were to leave earlier then she could simply go into the app and make it cooler if she leaves an hour or two earlier.

This works for us on a regular "ish" schedule.

There has been a million posts on this and if your concern is if your Tesla will be damaged by NOT having "overheat protection" off....I do not believe there would be any issues.