Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hot days - car trying to cool something? (Loud noise)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this a couple weeks ago when we were seeing 110 degrees in the day. And seeing it today when it went up to 102.

What I noticed was an extremely loud fan sound which seemed to be the car trying to cool down the battery or something.

It shouldn’t be the cabin overheat protection since the cabin is not too hot. So I suspect it is the battery.

Is this expected? Sounds like jet engine :)

I noticed this a couple weeks ago when we were seeing 110 degrees in the day. And seeing it today when it went up to 102.

What I noticed was an extremely loud fan sound which seemed to be the car trying to cool down the battery or something.

It shouldn’t be the cabin overheat protection since the cabin is not too hot. So I suspect it is the battery.

Is this expected? Sounds like jet engine :)
I’ve noticed the same thing the past few days. The noise stops when I stop at a traffic light or stop sign. Seems to start back up when the car hits 15 or 20 mph. Is yours behaving like this?

I’ve noticed the same thing the past few days. The noise stops when I stop at a traffic light or stop sign. Seems to start back up when the car hits 15 or 20 mph. Is yours behaving like this?
Not really. It stops usually when the outside temperature goes down, like maybe 85°. Otherwise even in the garage or on the street parked, it continues the jet engines sound.

First, just turn off the cabin overheat, it does little good and the car is built to handle the temperatures.

And yes, the car is trying to cool the batteries down. It's happening to MANY people right now.

If you think that it is a problem, wait for the temps to subside or try it night when the temps are in the low 70's.

First, just turn off the cabin overheat, it does little good and the car is built to handle the temperatures.

And yes, the car is trying to cool the batteries down. It's happening to MANY people right now.

If you think that it is a problem, wait for the temps to subside or try it night when the temps are in the low 70's.
Try what at night? Turning off cabin overheat protection?

I think overheat protection isn't for the interior of the car, it's for the occupants of the car that you left unattended. If you have driven the car in the last 12 hours it kicks on to protect the baby or ferret that you forgot you left in the car from dying, although it'll still be rough on the individual.

If the car just sits parked in the sun when it hasn't been driven today the fan shouldn't come on at all. Wonder what's going on

Reactions: Big Earl
I think overheat protection isn't for the interior of the car, it's for the occupants of the car that you left unattended. If you have driven the car in the last 12 hours it kicks on to protect the baby or ferret that you forgot you left in the car from dying, although it'll still be rough on the individual.

If the car just sits parked in the sun when it hasn't been driven today the fan shouldn't come on at all. Wonder what's going on
Service said they will have remediation when we bring the car in. Wonder what fix they are going to put in.

Did you ever get to the service center and what did they do to solve this?

30K miles in with my X Plaid and this issue is really the only problem I've had with my car where the exterior fan turns on and sounds like a jet for pretty much the entire drive - every drive. This started happening to me about two weeks ago. I don't have cabin overheat protection on FWIW.

It looks like mine is due to front louvers being blocked and the louvers no longer functioning for some reason.

Here's two other recent threads that touch on this: