TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Florida McDonalds to add charging station

Discussion in 'News' started by efusco, Jul 21, 2009.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Watts are free at new McDonald's - Technology - News & Observer
    [​IMG]

Watts are free at new McDonald's
    BY SUE STOCK, STAFF WRITER
    CARY - When it opens Tuesday, the McDonald's at 1299 Kildaire Farm Road will be the country's first McDonald's with an electric vehicle charging station.

The station will allow drivers of electric cars to plug them in and charge them while they eat.

McDonald's is one of several chains exploring green store design. Wal-Mart and Target are revamping their stores to conserve energy. Subway has opened its first stand-alone LEED-certified restaurant in the state in Chapel Hill.

The Cary McDonald's is under review to be LEED-certified by the U.S. Green Building Council. It would become the third McDonald's to receive certification, after restaurants in Savannah, Ga., and Chicago.

To start, the restaurant will feature two charging stations, which will sit at the front of a parking space. If the feature proves popular, McDonald's can expand the system to add more stations, said Helda Rodriguez, president of NovaCharge, the Florida distributor of the ChargePoint stations.

The charge is free.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

The thread title is completely wrong. The installation will be in North Carolina, although the chargepoint distributor is based out of Florida.

BTW: my 8-year-old daughter asked if "they call it junk food, 'cos it tastes like garbage?" I have a kid that hates McDonalds, I'm totally proud!:biggrin:

5. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

That Cary, NC McDonalds is 175 miles from my house--just right for that 230 mi battery...

Let there be more...

All I have to do now is to figure out how many hours I can take to eat a cheeseburger...

6. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Clowns are scary.

7. donauker

donauker Member

121301-124798-krusty-the-clown_thumb.JPG

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Youtube is filled with scary clown videos. I won't bother embedding any particular ones.

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Isn't it meant to be a fast food restaurant? I hope they installed L3 chargers to acquire any meaningful amount of charge in half an hour.

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

That's like 5 mins from where I live. Won't make much use of that, but hopefully other McDonalds do the same.