Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida solar utility liability insurance requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread. I was similarly annoyed learning about this topic during my ordering process a couple months ago.

Something that stood out to me, was that my ESS interconnect agreement with TECO had different power tiers as explained below. This agreement is called a STANDARD INTERCONNECTION AGREEMENT FOR INTERCONNECTED CUSTOMER-OWNED BATTERY SUBSYSTEMS 1 KW OR MORE. My agreement was signed in June 2021.

6. For all BAT installations at or below 15 Kw AC maximum capacity, the Customer shall maintain general liability insurance for personal injury and property damage in the amount of not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000). For all BAT installations above 15 Kw AC maximum capacity, the Customer shall maintain general liability insurance for personal injury and property damage in the amount of not less than one million dollars ($1,000,000). The Customer shall provide to the Company initial proof of insurance in the form of a certificate evidencing the Customer's insurance coverage in effect at the time of interconnection. The certificate shall list the BAT as a covered addition to the Customer's insured property. The Customer shall submit similar proof of continuing insurance coverage within 30 days of any policy renewal. As an alternative to the foregoing insurance requirement, the Customer may self-insure upon receiving the Company’s prior written approval. The Company will provide the Customer with written notification of approval or disapproval of a self-insurance application within 30 business days after the Company’s receipt of all documentation required to support the application. In the event that the Company approves Customer’s request to self-insure, Customer shall provide proof of its continuing ability to self- insure to the Company on an annual basis, or more frequently if requested by the Company. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the minimum insurance coverage amount set forth above shall be limited for the state, a state agency or subdivision (as those terms are defined in Section 768.28(2), Florida Statutes, or the successor thereto), to the maximum dollar amounts set forth in Section 768.28(5), Florida Statutes, or the successor thereto.

Tesla told me that I’m below the 15 kW limit with my Powerwall+ and Powerwall 2 system. I was confused by this because each Powerwall‘s spec sheet lists multiple peak power power values for various situations, with the Powerwall+ itself having up to a 22 kW rating.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I was similarly annoyed learning about this topic during my ordering process a couple months ago.

Something that stood out to me, was that my ESS interconnect agreement with TECO had different power tiers as explained below. This agreement is called a STANDARD INTERCONNECTION AGREEMENT FOR INTERCONNECTED CUSTOMER-OWNED BATTERY SUBSYSTEMS 1 KW OR MORE. My agreement was signed in June 2021.

Tesla told me that I’m below the 15 kW limit with my Powerwall+ and Powerwall 2 system. I was confused by this because each Powerwall‘s spec sheet lists multiple peak power power values for various situations, with the Powerwall+ itself having up to a 22 kW rating.
The rating for the system is for the production capacity of the solar panels and not the batteries, because it's your solar that would create and feed energy back to the system, not the batteries. The batteries are to power your house at night or in a grid outage*

*I think there are scenarios where based on time of use some people buy at a low value and sell back at a higher value, or something like this, but your batteries aren't going to be feeding the grid at 22kW, or at peak power.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
The rating for the system is for the production capacity of the solar panels and not the batteries, because it's your solar that would create and feed energy back to the system, not the batteries. The batteries are to power your house at night or in a grid outage*

*I think there are scenarios where based on time of use some people buy at a low value and sell back at a higher value, or something like this, but your batteries aren't going to be feeding the grid at 22kW, or at peak power.
Oh, I guess yours is a battery-only system? In that case, I am not sure.

Hey folks,
I've had a Tesla solar panel system on order for months (June). My project advisor (in Orlando) says there is no issue with equipment availability. Says the hang-up is that FPL doesn't like the new Tesla Backup Switch. I keep hearing that Powerwalls are in high demand. My system will have two.

How long does it take to actually get a system installed recently? 6 mos? 9 mos? a year?
Does FPL really have an issue with the Backup Switch? Does anyone have this installed and working with FPL?
(I've seen one YouTube video of a case in WA state where the utility locked up a Tesla customer's switch so he could not use his system because it had the Backup Switch installed.)

FYI
Here's a link to the Backup Switch page:

Thanks!
H

I would add, that a $1 million rider is usually pretty inexpensive on homeowners' policies and has really, and I mean REALLY, saved the bacon of a few clients of mine for mishaps having nothing to do with solar.

Its kind of the reverse of the extremely expensive "electronics" insurance, which is way out of line with the cost of replacement. Its very cheap and incredibly valuable.
You are right about what you say as to a $1 million rider. Definitely worthwhile. BUT - that doesn't necessarily cover SOLAR LIABILITY. My current $3 million of insurance does NOT cover solar liability - and my current insurance companies don't offer any riders or anything to cover it. I got a quote of $1000 additional per year for a tier 2 system to cover just the solar liability from a different insurance company.

This all is just plain and simply a way of Florida enacting a law trying to discourage the use of solar power.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a place to get the requisite $1 million of solar liability insurance coverage in Florida for the solar panels (not the solar roof)?

My current insurance won't write that insurance and it isn't covered by my existing $3 million of homeowners or umbrella - and I can't add a rider for it.

Thanks.

You are right about what you say as to a $1 million rider. Definitely worthwhile. BUT - that doesn't necessarily cover SOLAR LIABILITY. My current $3 million of insurance does NOT cover solar liability - and my current insurance companies don't offer any riders or anything to cover it. I got a quote of $1000 additional per year for a tier 2 system to cover just the solar liability from a different insurance company.

This all is just plain and simply a way of Florida enacting a law trying to discourage the use of solar power.
You are getting an UMBRELLA liability policy for your property. They do not exclude solar.

I have 500K as personal liability on my Home Owners policy. I am planning to get an "Excess personal Liability Cover" of 0.5 M to meet the requisite million dollar coverage. Is that acceptable by the utility companies? I have TECO.

I have 500K as personal liability on my Home Owners policy. I am planning to get an "Excess personal Liability Cover" of 0.5 M to meet the requisite million dollar coverage. Is that acceptable by the utility companies? I have TECO.

I dunno about Florida, but I think it depends if your utility needs to be a named insured on your policy... and it depends whether your insurance will name your utility as an insured on the various pieces.

In California, my utility (PG&E) requires that the insurance expressly names PG&E as an insured. PG&E also requires State Farm to send some documents to a certain processing address. Unfortunately, State Farm restricts certain insurance from expressly naming an insured that isn't the individual (human) policyholder. While PG&E could be named as an insured on a home policy, it cannot be named on an Umbrella/rider.

So, I couldn't use the excess personal liability / umbrella portions of my insurance to satisfy PG&E. Rather, I had to bump my core home policy liability up to the required $1,000,000.

Hopefully your PTO form specifies the type of insurance and requirement to be a named insured. That'll be great if your insurance will extend the combined total $1,000,000 (combined across core and excess) and provide the right documentation to your utility for the $1,000,000 requirement.

Also, if someone trips on the sidewalk in front of my house and impales themselves on my mailbox, I guess I now have a lot of insurance for that too.