Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FM radio stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem here, May 2019 build.
Multiple reboots do not fix the issue. Seems to have started roughly at the time we received our 2019.36.2.1 update, but can't remember exactly. Only other event that MIGHT have something to do with the radio: I washed the car (high pressure + hand wash).

Scheduled a software update, got a text response:
Q: Hello, this is the Tesla diagnostic team. Regarding your radio operation, are you experiencing the loading icon on other media than FM radio, such as streaming radio? Have you attempted a scroll wheel reset to see if that restores operation? Does the radio operation ever resume normal operation or does it constantly show a loading icon?

A: Loading icon is only on FM radio. Multiple scroll wheel reboots has no effect. Perhaps 36.2.2 will help? (Now I realize 36.40 is floating around...)

Then later:
This is Hailee with Tesla Service. The parts needed to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled appointment. I have rescheduled your appointment for December 5th at 10:30 AM. If the new appointment date does not work for your schedule, please login to your MyTesla App and change your appointment for a date after December 5th. Thank you and please let me know if you have any questions by replying back directly to this text!

Tesla attached "Service Estimate" invoice (with request for signature) for $825.75 + tax to replace the FM Radio module and the antenna.
I'm asking Tesla why there is a charge for this service, and I'm not signing the doc. No response so far. :-(

Sounds like a known issue that Tesla has a new part number.

Same problem here, May 2019 build.
Multiple reboots do not fix the issue. Seems to have started roughly at the time we received our 2019.36.2.1 update, but can't remember exactly. Only other event that MIGHT have something to do with the radio: I washed the car (high pressure + hand wash).

Scheduled a software update, got a text response:
Q: Hello, this is the Tesla diagnostic team. Regarding your radio operation, are you experiencing the loading icon on other media than FM radio, such as streaming radio? Have you attempted a scroll wheel reset to see if that restores operation? Does the radio operation ever resume normal operation or does it constantly show a loading icon?

A: Loading icon is only on FM radio. Multiple scroll wheel reboots has no effect. Perhaps 36.2.2 will help? (Now I realize 36.40 is floating around...)

Then later:
This is Hailee with Tesla Service. The parts needed to address your concerns will not make it in time for your originally scheduled appointment. I have rescheduled your appointment for December 5th at 10:30 AM. If the new appointment date does not work for your schedule, please login to your MyTesla App and change your appointment for a date after December 5th. Thank you and please let me know if you have any questions by replying back directly to this text!

Tesla attached "Service Estimate" invoice (with request for signature) for $825.75 + tax to replace the FM Radio module and the antenna.
I'm asking Tesla why there is a charge for this service, and I'm not signing the doc. No response so far. :-(

Sounds like a known issue that Tesla has a new part number.

Same questions they asked me. It 100% should be warranty covered. Maybe they just forgot to check that box on the estimate...

Update

They only replaced the FM radio module which resolved the issue. They said the work order shows MCU replacement so that they can order the part in case they need it in the worst case scenario. Other than the horrible check in experience and that they didn't even look at my car until the next day (had a 1pm service appt.). The service process was ok. I liked the app notification and text message that my car was finished. It took about 4 hours for them to change the FM module from when they moved the car inside. From what I saw when the mobile tech was out it should have been about a 15 minute job so I am guessing the car was just sitting most of the time.

i'm curious, is the fm radio unit the same?

FM Radio Unit/Module is in the passenger side C-pillar. The FM Antenna Module is the driver C-pillar. The MCU is in the dash behind the glove box. FM Unit repair is a couple hour job max. MCU replacement is longer because they have to dig into the dash.

yeah, i know where it is...i was asking if it's the same part (or at least the same connections). i have my satellite radio wired in-line with the fm direct adapter, and it took me forever to find antenna adapters the first time. hoping they didn't change anything...

that being said, mine has been much better lately (knock on wood). it still fails occasionally, but a reboot always fixes it.

ugh my fm radio went out as well and i think it was around the time i got the last up ~2 weeks ago. guess will need to schedule a service request, they better not expect me to pay for it. my car is like a month old

yeah, i know where it is...i was asking if it's the same part (or at least the same connections). i have my satellite radio wired in-line with the fm direct adapter, and it took me forever to find antenna adapters the first time. hoping they didn't change anything...

that being said, mine has been much better lately (knock on wood). it still fails occasionally, but a reboot always fixes it.

ahh gotcha. The PN for the replacement was: Radio FM/HD, NA, M3 (1079749-80-C). The C might be a revision version. Not sure.

My FM radio has stopped working a couple of times. Each time a UI reboot fixed it.
However, I have a minor issue that seems to always be a problem.

I have 3 FM stations as favorites along with a few podcasts and tune-in stations, etc.
If I am listening to something that is not FM radio and I tap one of the FM stations it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work.
I may have to tap a different FM station to get a response. It isn't a touch screen issue because I can always slide the favorites left and right.
Also, even when the FM audio does work the grey speaker icon that shows up inside the tile does not appear. However if I swithc to another FM station is does appear and if I switch back to the first FM station it does appear. It just doesn't show up on the first FM station ~95% of the time.

I have noticed the grey speaker icon issue from pretty much as soon as I can remember taking delivery. I’m presuming is just a software bug as it hasn’t effected actual sound. I have reported that bug a long time ago. I also have experienced my radio not working a couple times....after listening to a non FM radio source and switching back to FM radio. Every time FM radio would work again after 2 button reset. Reading some posts here it seems like when you switch to another source or start from another source then go to FM radio....maybe the fm amplifier isn’t being switched on....be it software bug or hardware failure?

maybe the fm amplifier isn’t being switched on....be it software bug or hardware failure?

the FM amp is not needed, i have mine disconnected because i'm using the XM direct adapter to inject the satellite radio feed into the FM signal and it works fine (most of the time)...

however, the not responding issues have gotten worse lately...not better. before upgrading to 40.50.7, i was able to power off the car to reboot it and that would usually fix the issue for a week or so before it returned. since the upgrade, now it's happening all the time (even in the middle of drives), and rebooting doesn't do anything to stop it from coming back within a few hours.

yesterday on our drive home from vegas (and friday as well on the drive up there), twice during the 4 hours or so in the car the radio just stops working randomly for about 20-30 seconds, then comes back on...then the same thing happens again about 10 seconds later. after this, it's good for some period of time...then repeat.

it's incredibly annoying that a company as technologically advanced as tesla can't get something as simple as the damn FM radio right...has anyone who had repairs done on this under warranty had those repairs actually fix the problem? support just keeps telling me to reboot the car...i'm just about over this nonsense, especially now that it's happening more frequently and randomly in the middle of drives vs just at the start of a drive.

i finally got sick of this and scheduled an appointment (after conversations via e-mail with support indicated i needed service to fix it). just got an invoice ($0.00 under warranty) to replace the antenna amplifier...which it seems from reading this thread won't really do anything. seems everyone has needed the actual radio tuner replaced, not the antenna amp...right? is there a way to get tesla to just replace the radio rather than the amp so i don't have to deal with making another service appt down the road when the antenna amp doesn't resolve anything?

the only hitch is that my symptoms are slightly different, in that when it stops working i'm able to get it back by rebooting, it's not constantly locked up. i don't know if that's just a precursor to it eventually dying completely, or if it's a different problem...

mobile service was just here and replaced the antenna amplifier. we'll see if that fixes anything, but the early returns aren't promising (just drove around the block and as usual it took a good 30-45 seconds for the radio to come on)...

has anyone here had the antenna amplifier replaced and had that fix their issues?

I'm not sure why they keep trying to replace the antenna adapter. It seems like that only worked for one person. Everyone else I've heard from has had to have the entire radio module replaced.

i actually brought that up to them before they even came out...ugh. they still wanted to replace the amplifier, even though (like i figured) it didn't solve anything.

you ended up having to take yours in to the SC, right? they want me to bring mine in, which is annoying considering the closest SC is over an hour away and i've seen people in this thread say they had it done by mobile service...

i actually brought that up to them before they even came out...ugh. they still wanted to replace the amplifier, even though (like i figured) it didn't solve anything.

you ended up having to take yours in to the SC, right? they want me to bring mine in, which is annoying considering the closest SC is over an hour away and i've seen people in this thread say they had it done by mobile service...

Yes took it into service. They actually put replace the MCU on the estimate which I was surprised by and they said they try the radio module first and if that doesnt work then they need to dig into the dash and replace MCU. Mobile tech said he did not have the computers/tools to replace the radio module because it runs on POE or something similar. It stayed at the service center overnight and was ready the next day (they didnt actually start working on it until day 2).