Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll write to my contact and inquire about that.

I wrote to my contact, with some questions, and directed him to the last few pages of this thread. Below is his response.

--
Hi Andy – thank you for sharing the forum thread, and it helps us understand the Tesla community better. As I saw a couple of great questions, I will try to response in simple point forms to address as much as I can;

1. Foboshare is patently designed to allow vehicle borrowers to monitor tire pressures as if they are owners. When a borrower uses a borrowed Fobotired vehicle, it will serve no good purpose for the owner to track the pressure real time, while a borrower is driving 50 miles away. Secondly, most Foboshared accounts are related family members, or lived-in friends, and there is little likelihood to remove them once they are shared. And it can go up to a max of 100 per vehicle. An example in my family, we have 8 cars, and 6 family members with 10 smartphones. Hence each car is foboshared to 9 other phones, creating a total of 72 Fobosharing! Multiply that to all Fobotire/Plus/Bike users, and a 3 minutes real-time update, the Fobo server will be jammed pretty soon. All live updates will only happen when an owner-user/Foboshared user is within Bluetooth zone of the said vehicle. This is not to say that Foboshare cannot be real time, it can be done but we are not ready for the above mentioned consequences. It will disrupt traffic tremendously, especially for new installation, new Foboshare set-up, data gathering from users, etc. There is however a plan to send live update only when there is an ALERT! This sounds more meaningful without disrupting the server traffic. Stay tuned for this in the near future.

2. One of the forum commenter got it right when he says the Foboshare is like a master/slave set –up..This should easily explain why you cannot have two masters. A user cannot login into multiple phones simultaneously using the same account. This is for security reason, to prevent multiple login with stolen units or stolen phones. In the event of a lost/stolen phone, a valid user can relogin/activate his new phone, and the Fobo account will be automatically logged from his lost/stolen phone. From thence, everything will work as usual.

3. From the above features; you can see that there is no need to use 2 phones as a master. If a user have multiple phones, he/she can set up 1 master, and multiple slaves thru Foboshare, using different valid emails (they are free, by the way!). Corollary speaking, a user can change a master phone to a slave phone, and a slave phone to a master phone if desired. Logout from both phones, sign in the previous slave phone using the master account, and the previous master phone with the slave account. (note – both need email reactivation again for security reasons). Woola! The slave is now the master, and do a Foboshare to the ‘new’ slave.

4. Regarding a user having a deflated tire, the incar will alert in 3 minutes plus/minus depending on the timing of the incar scan, which is once every 3 minutes. The phone will not alert if the app is in the background, UNLESS it hit below 23 psi. In his case, the pressure was down to 13 psi, so both incar and phone will alert even if the app was in the background. The phone will always alert for any out-of-range pressure whenever the app is in the foreground. We do not expect users to keep app in the foreground all the time during driving, hence the incar should not be silenced for whatever reason. This is also another good reason to know that the incar wakes up everytime the vehicle starts moving, as it’s a simple and gentle reminder that the Fobotire system is now armed, and a running light across all the 4 leds means no pressure is out-of-range, leading to a peaceful and safer drive. Having said this, Fobotire does not allow an option to switch off the wake-up ‘music’ as the driver’s safety is heavily dependent on this functional reminder. This could be detrimental to users who have a hectic start of a day, and have the app in the background, and driving at 75mph with 24 psi, with an unknown nail in one of the tire, gooosh, we don’t want that to happen. An incar unit which refuses to wake up will point to several issues- a flat battery that was previously ignored, or a malfunction unit, etc. This will hilite a system issue that should be fixed, and that the user is aware of this until a solution is found.

Andy – I hope this clarifies all the issues in the thread.
--

Fobo folks - Just got this from the company, will be useful for those of us who have added a spare - those compact spares lose pressure quickly, and just not having to check the extra tire in the frunk will be nice.
------------------------
This is to announce that the long awaited FoboXtra sensor is now available for pre-order at Fobo webstore at www.my-fobo.com.

FoboXtra serves as additional sensor that can be added to the default 4-sensors system of both FoboTire and FoboTirePlus, which many of you are currently using.

Users can add a maximum of 12 FoboXtra sensors to the soon-to-be updated Fobotire App. These additional sensors can be used for monitoring of spare tires, air suspensions for certain vehicles, trailers, caravan and the likes, which require more than the usual 4 tires pressure monitoring.

FoboXtra reads up to a max pressure of 600kPa or 87 psi. The App is now in final stage
of development and debugging and the released date is expected to be in late June, and the Xtra will be shipped latest July 1st.

FoboXtra was developed due to the many requests from Fobotire users, and Fobo is glad to reach another fabulous milestone in servicing the Fobotire community. The updated App will have additional new features and an 'Xtra page' to show the additional paired sensors, with conspicuous display and individually editable, to suit the various needs of demanding users. The Xtra sensor will not be linked to the incar unit, and can monitor pressure from 5-87 psi. This gives users full flexibility in deciding how they want to use the Xtras without jeopardizing the default incar system that will continue to monitor the main vehicle. Any alert from the Xtras will go directly to the paired phone, within the Bluetooth zone.

I got that the last two days in my BMWM5 -- the left front was "ERR" for a few minutes, then it corrected itself. I repositioned the in-car unit, and it seems to be better.

Thanks for the info. In my case the in-car unit's LEDs on front-right and rear-right are flashing with continuous beep, so something must be wrong. Maybe those two sensors are broken or battery is drained?

The battery indicators on the left side show full battery though.

But here is what they replied when I sent your messages on to them:

Hiroshly-
From Fobo:
For Model S, if the unit was bought during Indiegogo, please replace the batteries for the sensors. We suspect rapid battery drain due to ESD. If the problem persists after changing the batteries, I will have to activate a warranty claim. Installation instructions say to touch the tire before installing sensor, because tires build up static electricity charges and could discharge the battery in sensor through ESD if not dissipated before installation.
----------
Hiroshly - Your most recent message says that battery shows as still good, so you could send that to Jonathan before trying to replace the batteries if you like - I didn't send that on to him - and I should get out of the middle - you should talk directly to him.
-gzerninplatz

HankLloydRight-
From Fobo:
For he BMW, it is likely just due to the position of the InCar unit.

In general, ERR message appears when the InCar unit cannot get signals the particular sensor for 9 minutes.

Follow up to my previous post. Today I changed front-right and rear-right batteries, and they are working again! Both left sides are still showing full battery remaining. Found that they're using Chinese CR2032 which kind of explains what happened to me. I will send them my opinion of not using Chinese batteries for their products. Nobody use Chinese batteries here.

One more update: a few days ago, rear-left also failed. I changed CR2032 and it's working again. Very easy to change batteries. Great product.

No wonder I purchased one more CR2032 for front-left, which is still running the factory-installed Chinese CR2032. In fact I could use one for key gobs as well!

Fobo released a new version of the iPhone app today. Beware, I have several problems with it, as follows and have sent a letter to Fobo.

1. After installing the app, the picture of the vehicle and all tire pressure settings were lost;
2. Tire pressure setting changed from psi to Kpa;
3. Temperature setting changed from degrees in F to degrees in C;
4. In the prior version of the app, I had the monitored tire pressure set to 45 psi, with a low warning at 43 psi and a high warning at 51 psi. With the new version of the app, the high and low pressure warning settings are interlocked. That is, if I set the low warning setting to 43 psi, the high warning setting is automatically set to 56psi, and if I attempt to change the high pressure setting to, say 53 psi, it automatically changes the low pressure setting to 41.5 psi. This was not the case with the prior version of the app that was installed on my iPhone.

Issues 1, 2 and 3 are minor annoyances. Issue 4 I consider to be a major problem. I believe the low and high pressure settings should not be interlocked, so that you can set each setting separately.

I also suggested to Fobo that they add an indication on the display as to the last time the readings were updated. At times, it takes several minutes to get an accurate reading of each tire pressure sensor, especially as the distance between the iPhone and the vehicle increases. It would be helpful to have a visual indication of when each sensor was last read.

No landscape mode.

Regarding item 4, I just noticed that when I first load the app, the "windows" for each tire reading is grey and it indicated the time and date of the pressure reading. But once it gets the data from the sensors, the "windows" change yto white and the date/time stamp disappears. If you walk away from the car and go beyond the bluetooth range, there is no indication that the tire pressure readings are not being updated anymore.

I had several email communications, some of which are reproduced below, with Fobo regarding the updated iPhone app. The short story is that they will begin work on Monday on a revised app that addresses issues I noted. I am very impressed with how quickly they responded to me (I received a total of 4 emails from them), especially considering the time difference. Fobo will provide an option of unlocking the high and low pressure settings, and will add a date/timestamp to the white background to indicate when the sensor readings have last been updated.

Thanks for your feedback, we had a short meeting this morning to discuss on your issues reported and also product improvement suggestion. Please find our findings and actions below.

Profile Photo
We have tested this internally with many users and couldn’t reproduce the same issue that you face. After the app is deleted and re-install, we will retrieve the car profile photo from the cloud according to the email address that the user log in. User need to ensure that they have strong internet connection while going through this process.

I suggest that you take a new car profile photo now, make sure you have strong internet connection for our app to upload the photo to the cloud (this will happen in the background). The next time when you delete the app and re-install, the app should be able to retrieve the profile photo from the cloud.

Time Stamp
We like your idea of showing the time stamp also when the tire box are white (i.e. live reading). This feature will be incorporated in our next app update.

Let me explain the reason that you don’t get a grey out box even after you lost connection with the sensors. Due to the complexity and heavy processing required on the page that shows the pressure, we have intentional skip a “refresh” logic for the grey out. This means that user won’t get any grey out box even though there is no signal update from the sensor for the last 3 minutes if they stay on this screen leaving it on the foreground permanently. As soon as user put their app to the background and launch it again, the grey out box will appear. Or this will work if user go back to FOBO Tire App main page and select the car profile again.

As this is not a GPS app, we don’t expect user to launch the app and constantly put the pressure screen on the foreground even when they are not inside the car of having the sensors around them. Having said this, the pressure update will still be reflected but only the grey out feature will not show in this instance.

Pressure Limit
We agree with your comments and will change in our next app update to the old logic where user can manually pre-set the lower and upper limit without any “self-adjustments”. As for now, please follow kaveh’s proposal to set the recommended pressure to 47 psi and you can then set the lower limit to 43 psi and upper limit to 51 psi as a temporary bypass.

We will start working on the changes described above on Monday and will release an update asap. Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will continue to enjoy FOBO Tire while waiting for the next app update.

Regards,
Kevin.

Kevah,

Thank you for your email. I will await your further response regarding unlocking the high/low pressure settings.

Regarding the grey out to indicate the date is at least 3 minutes old, please be advised that this feature does not appear to be operating correctly on my iPhone. When I first run the app, the background is grey until the app receives sensor data. At that point the background turns white and the date/timestamp disappears. If I move the phone away from the car (100 plus feet distance between car and phone), the background remains white even after 60 plus minutes have passed.

In my opinion, it is better to have the date/timestamp indicated in the white background to easily determine the last update if the sensors.

Thank you,
Steve

> Dear Steve,
>
> There is a work around. You can set your recommended pressure to 47 Psi.
> Then you can set your low to 43 and your high to 51 Psi.
>
> About the gray out , the objective is to show the user this is old data ( more than 3 min ago) . If you see clear box without gray out it means your data being updated within last 3 minutes. But we will review every thing tomorrow based on your comments.
>
> Thank you for your support.
>
> Cheers,
> Kaveh
>
>> James,
>>
>> Thank you for your quick reply. Here are my comments to your response:
>>
>> 1. Having to change the defaults after an app update is an annoyance but bearable. What is not acceptable if that the picture used to identify the vehicle is lost when the app is upgraded. It is understandable to have to change degree C to degree F and pressure Kpa to pressure psi when doing an app update, but it is not acceptable that one needs to redo the photo of the car. This photo should transfer from one app version to the next app version.
>>
>> 2. The lock between recommended pressure along with a min and max setting should be made an option. On vehicles such as the Tesla, tire pressure needs to be maintained within a very narrow band; too low a pressure and the rear tires will prematurely wear (some owners have only gotten 6,000 or 7,000 miles on the rear tires), while tire pressure above 50 psi exceeds the safe operating range of the tires. Locking the high and low pressures together results in either setting a alarm when the tire pressure is dangerously low or dangerously high. I have a nominal pressure setting of 45 psi and want an indication to be issued should the pressure drop below 43 psi. Since the maximum cold tire pressure is 50 psi, I want a high tire pressure alert set for 51 psi. I have not had any issues with false alarms. PLEASE UNLOCK THE HIGH?LOW SETTINGS OR MAKE THE LOCKING A USER SETTABLE OPTION.
>>
>> Until this issue is resolved, please advise how I may revert to the prior app version, which has the tire pressures unlocked.
>>
>> I find the current app (and hence monitoring) to be unacceptable for Tesla owners, and can not recommend this product to Tesla owners while this "feature" exists. Tesla owners need to ensure that the tire pressure does not drop more than 2 to 3 psi in order to prevent early wear of the tires; but doing so results in an unusually high over pressure setting.
>>
>> 3. I did notice the time stamp feature with grey background when initially loading the app. However, once the app gets the sensor readings and the grey background changes to a white background, the time stamp disappears. Furthermore, there is no indication that the iPhone lost contact with the Bluetooth signal. That is, moving the iPhone (I use a 6 Plus) away from the car (e.g, 50 feet plus away) so that the Bluetooth signal is lost does result in the white background indication changing back to a grey background or for the timestamp to reappear. At least it does not on my phone. I do note that you indicate it takes 3 minutes to register the status change, but it does not appear to work correctly on my iPhone. I think it would be beneficial to provide the time stamp when the indication is white so that one can easily determine how current the readings are.
>>
>> Please do not take these comments as criticism of the product. I like the product very much (before the current app upgrade) and have recommended it to Tesla owners and non-Tesla owners (in fact, I have a second unit installed on my son's Prius). My comments should be read as an attempt to improve an already good product.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Steve

I'm fine with setting the recommended pressure to 47 - that allows me to specify exactly the high/low setting I want (43/50). the app, and product, certainly is (much better than) "acceptable" - it would be silly to not use it just because you can't remember that the "recommended" pressure isn't really 47. And I'm sure that the time stamp thing will get figured out - that would be a nice addition.

It is like our cars - we wouldn't have rejected having a Tesla because the early firmware had a bunch of bugs and things needing enhancement - I'm happy to have the fobo product, and believe that they will make it great. If we didn't have it, and recommend it, where would they get the feedback they need to make it perfect?

And I got some more info from them, regarding the difficulty some folks have had in pairing:
-----------
The early batch is susceptible to ESD (electrostatic discharge), we know for sure as we are able to duplicate. The later batch post-Dec, has a watchdog in the firmware to auto reset whenever there is a substantial ESD attack (e.g., from static electricity in the tires). Obviously changing batteries will resolve. We are now working on a FoboTool app to allow users to upgrade their firmware to this newer version and this is where Fobo product will be absolutely different from others!

On the LTE, that is correct, as it's a well known fact that LTE will interfere with Bluetooth as there are in the same frequency band. Either the LTE or Bluetooth councils need to address that, and I am sure that is happening as we talk. We just need to wait and see. However this will only affect the pairing process, not the reading process once it's successfully paired. And again this is not limited to Fobo
------------