Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fobo Tire Pressure monitor for smart phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fobo released a new version of the iPhone app today. Beware, I have several problems with it, as follows and have sent a letter to Fobo.

I now have an option to update my Android version of the FOBO software. Has anyone taken this update yet?

I'm wondering about potential issues with this update, and for now would be happy to keep using the version I have if the update has temporary limitations that need to be worked out.

Thanks.

I now have an option to update my Android version of the FOBO software. Has anyone taken this update yet?

I'm wondering about potential issues with this update, and for now would be happy to keep using the version I have if the update has temporary limitations that need to be worked out.

Thanks.

Installed. It seems the main features remain the same.

Imgur
Imgur
# sorry my tapatalk can't attach images.

The other day I upgraded iOS on my phone and the Fobo app couldn't sync with the in-car unit. I emailed them at 1 a.m. on Saturday (their time) asking for help, fully expecting to wait till Monday for a reply. To my pleasant surprise, they replied almost instantly, and we managed to fix the problem after exchanging a few emails. These guys are awesome!

For those of you who take your Fobo monitors off/on a few times, make sure you check that your tire valve stems are still tight. It takes a 11mm deep socket, I had to tighten all four of mine because they were loose from 1/4 to 3/4 turn. I guess they loosen up when I tighten the nut on the Fobo monitors.

James Lim at Fobo sent me an email today stating that they have recalled the app update they submitted to apple last week because they submitted a newer update that includes additional improvements. As a result, he indicated it will likely be another 7 or 8 days before Apple reviews this newer update and releases it to the public.

In the few months I've owned these, I've had a sensor randomly fail to communicate and set off the alarm probably a half dozen times. Not the same sensor every time, seemingly random. Does this happen to everyone else? I've also managed to trash one with a curb (that didn't touch my rim) and another was lost when the car was valet parked (presumably the same way). I've cannibalized from the set I intended to put on my wife's car but I'm leaning towards removing them due to the highly annoying alarm tone when one of the sensors doesn't communicate.

All of you folks that have had issues - I'd suggest communicating them to Fobo, not just stating them on the forum - it is the Fobo guys who can do something about it, and they usually do. the forum can't help you here...
Try email to Jonathan at [email protected]. Note that they are in an very different time zone than most of us, so replies may take a day or so. If that doesn't get a response in that time, try the CEO, James, at [email protected]. He is very good at making sure issues are dealt with.

Just sent an e-mal to James asking about FOBO sensor battery life and the app battery gauge (1 to 4 bars). His reply:

To cut a long story short; lithium ion is better than alkaline battery, but it will hold a very narrow voltage, in this case 3.2v to 2.7v, after which it will fail to drive the electronics, and the sensor will stop working. Some customers were surprised why it was showing 3 bars the day before and the same battery got konked out the next day. To overcome this, we recalibrate the indicator to reflect its performance voltage and not its overall voltage of 0-3.2v! A 4 bars will denote 3.2v and above, which will be a Perfectly good battery, a 3 bars will be 3.0-3.2v, and so on. Hence a 3 bars is still an above average battery and it should last you for many months without excessive user behaviors. A new battery from the store may not be above 3.2v depending on how long it has left the factory or sitting in the store, so you need to anticipate some losses due to that. 100 deg F is not an issue for sure, but 140 degF may start to cause deterioration and also -20deg C downward will do the same, and I do hope you don't have such cold winter!

Last but not least- if any battery is draining out, say less than 3 months, it's not acceptable (again assuming no excessive user behavior), you need to report back to us, and we will be happy to provide a replacement warranty. Just to define excessive behavior- it's releasing, re-pairing, excessive rotation, excessive temp exposure, ignoring alert continuously, removing and re screwing sensor excessively, etc, things like these will consume battery, which is quite normal.

Hope this clarifies, and you could continue using your Fobo products at ease.

Just received my FOBO kit and have a question for any of the resident FOBO gurus:

Out of 4 tires only one show a decimal point number the others are all showing "..." Ex RL shows 42.2 and all others show 42... Have I done something wrong in my setup?

image.png

Out of 4 tires only one show a decimal point number the others are all showing "..." Ex RL shows 42.2 and all others show 42... Have I done something wrong in my setup?

You are probably running iOS 9.0 beta. The system font has changed in this version, causing text to not fit in the same space which results in ... being displayed in its place. I already reported this to FOBO and they are aware of the issue and working on it.