Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folding second row in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went into a Tesla store to ask about the folding second row seats. I placed a reservation deposit almost 2 years ago, but I have been waiting for this feature.

I expected to be told they weren't quite available in the UK ye, but the guy cut me off and told me it would be 6 months before they are available in the UK. Actually I didn't really like his attitude as he seemed positively pleased to tell me this. After a bit of pressing he said they would definitely not be for at least 2 or 3 months and no one had told them anything about them yet in the UK.

I got an insurance quote this morning and was basically ready to order.

Has anyone been told anything different? I believe they have actually stopped making the old style 7 seaters and what I was told was basically a lie as they have a lot of Model X inventory cars in the UK that they would like to sell.

I was hoping to order this month as I believe the finance offer ends this month. I have never bought a car on finance before, but at 1.5% I would take it due to uncertainty over the retained value on the car at 4 years.

Before the car was fully launched you could reserve one which would have meant you could get an earlier delivery.

I decided against it with one of the main issues being the lack of folding second row. What's the point of having a 5m long car when you can't for example buy a 55inch TV and just slide it into the boot or load it up and take it to the recycling centre.

Well 6 months was actually a week as the new seats are listed today.

I also emailed EU sales last weekend asking about it and they didn't reply.

An all together pathetic level of service.

They have slightly cut UK prices which is nice.

But now you can't have heated seats without paying £5700 for the premium pack which is way over the top for what you get.

Decision now is order a car or wait for an inventory car in September.

which is way over the top for what you get

Cheaper than the constituent parts used to be ... but of course expensive if you only wanted one or two bits.

I've read that this "bundling" is to simplify manufacturing, but I would have thought that to differentiate the Premium Model, to preserve sales once the M3 is out, it would be in Tesla's interests to allow more bespoking rather than less ... maybe Tesla have decided that everyone who can afford a S or X can be talked into "fully loaded?" or maybe bundling "fully loaded" on all cars becomes sufficiently "affordable" to be worthwhile? I know J.S. about sales & marketing though!

I have never believed that bundling helps to simplify manufacturing and save money. Otherwise other car companies would be unable to make any money.

It seems to me that the new pack is more likely to force people into buying PUP, something which appears to have a pretty low uptake due to poor value for money.

The PUP package now includes the Subzero package, previously £1000 and the UHFS previously £2500. On top of that you get self presenting doors, something I wouldn't pay anything for and biodefense mode, something also of little value unless you happen to live in a smog filled city. Model S PUP is £1000 cheaper and the only difference is no auto presenting doors. Very very few people would pay £1000 for a software tweak to the doors which are already electric.

Basically I will be forced to pay £5700 if I want all round heated seats, window washers etc.

Luckily some of this is offset by the FX driven price drop and cheaper manual 7 seats.

Historically I have paid cash for cars, but the interesting thing with Tesla is that they depreciate options at the same rate as the car. If I was buying an Audi Q7 I would assume very little residual value for options. As they have a 49% 4 year residual on a Model X I think this plus the very cheap financing makes the PCP a good option. I suspect that the high residual offered on options is also causingTesla to overprice them from new. I am suspicious of the residual on a 4 year old car as by that point there will be more competition and the Tesla itself may have been considerably updated, taking this risk out of the equation makes a big difference.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
The confusion continues. Tried to order 7 seater with folding seats. Hadn't realised that although the price has been cut in line with the manual seats in the US, the listed seats are still the old seats. They cannot yet confirm when UK seats will change. Very strange.

I am going to go ahead and get the PCP approved in case it changes on 1 August.

Just got this from Tesla. Thank you Tesla.
VIN 6371X confirmed July 27th scheduled for production.

"Thank you for your Model X order and welcome to the Tesla family.
As we continue to enhance our vehicle lineup, we are excited to inform you that Model X is now available in a new seven‑seat configuration. Since your Model X order included our seven‑seat configuration, you will receive an upgrade to include this new design, at no additional cost.
You can now experience enhanced utility with second and third row seats that fold flat for extra cargo space, in seconds.
No further action is needed from you regarding this change. If you have any questions, you can respond directly to this email and our team will contact you within 48 hours.
We look forward to delivering your new Model X.
Best regards,
The Tesla Team"