Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Folkstone Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're off to France on the Eurotunnel next Saturday, M3 LR. Does anyone know if the Supercharger at Folkstone is usually available, even at busy times? Can I rely on being able to charge there? We're asked to check-in 1 hour beforehand, so we should have a fair bit of time post-check in, but obviously, we can't hang around and miss our train.

We're off to France on the Eurotunnel next Saturday, M3 LR. Does anyone know if the Supercharger at Folkstone is usually available, even at busy times? Can I rely on being able to charge there? We're asked to check-in 1 hour beforehand, so we should have a fair bit of time post-check in, but obviously, we can't hang around and miss our train.
Very interested in this as I’m using the tunnel at the end of July

I used them today and have many times before. It was quiet this morning - about 9:00 - and all 8 were empty when I arrived. Another M3 was plugged in as I left.

They are pretty easy to find as they are in the front row of the car park and some of the nearer parking spaces to the terminal building.

Bear in mind that they call you to proceed to the train quite a while before the train goes as you need to clear UK and French passport control before lining up for the train. The last call to proceed to the train (I.e. time to unplug) is about 25mins before the train departs.

I used to go to France at least once a month on a Friday night and there were typically 2 to 4 cars using the 8 chargers but today was my first time for 20months and I assume they will be under more pressure on a busy day than they were back then.

FYI - There are superchargers on the other side in Calais (as well as those in Eurotunnel in Calais) only a couple of miles after leaving the train if you have any hassle charging before the train.

Google maps marks the spaces perfectly. You’ll see that the low review marks are because you cannot use them unless you’re heading to France on the train - they’ve always been working every time I’ve been there since having a Tesla.

Attachments

• 6C15D6A1-FA31-4556-913C-129CBDB114C9.png
    6C15D6A1-FA31-4556-913C-129CBDB114C9.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 257
I'd concur with what everyone else here says. We used them on a road trip to Norway, and there wasn't enough time to get a decent charge (to be fair, we started only 20 miles away in Ashford). The one time I've been there, it appeared to have space, and as its in my neck of the woods I don't recall ever seeing it showing up on the in-car map as fully-utilised.

The 6-stall one in Maidstone is 40 miles before Folkestone on the M20, heavily used, and it's v2 so you can expect charge-splitting. Probably not worth banking on, and when I drove past at the weekend two of the stalls were out of order.

I didn't have a problem when I went. Also worth noting that if you have a flexi plus ticket there are 2 extra chargers at the lounge too. Although if you have a model X I wouldn't recommend, the bays are super tight

Sounds like they are really easy to access and not too utilised. I’ll be using them when I head down to Le Mans later this year. I’ll want to get a good charge in there so I can get to Rouen for the next charge.
You will have competition from at least one other driver if it's for Le Mans, I'm heading their myself. Haven't planned the route yet, but Rouen sounds like a good shout. I guess the Le Man ones themselves will be available too. Luckily on the other side of town from the track.

You will have competition from at least one other driver if it's for Le Mans, I'm heading their myself. Haven't planned the route yet, but Rouen sounds like a good shout. I guess the Le Man ones themselves will be available too. Luckily on the other side of town from the track.
Awesome! I’ll be stopping at Rouen for lunch and then at Saint Saturnin to make sure I’ve got good charge for the camping and heading back to Rouen on the way back.

Reactions: Neilio

If for some reason you can't charge at Folkestone there is one (outside the port complex) at Calais. I use Folkestone charging time as "contingency" and would charge in Calais if I had to. The first one down the A26 is 130 miles away ...

On the return there are similar chargers at the Calais terminal - both that, and Folkestone, are before Passports / customs, so have to leave time for those before train departure (and your "check-in 1 hour beforehand" is probably going to be spent more waiting for them than the actual check-in). In Calais there are an additional 2 stalls at the Flexi Lounge, which is after Customs / Passports, so much easier to judge the depart time and still make the train. Because Maidstone is popular and not many stalls, I now choose to charge enough at Calais to avoid Maidstone - even missing a train (unless they are running hourly).

A heads-up to anyone that doesn't know the area, the M20 is often speed-restricted or closed due to Operation Brock - lorries using the M20 as a queue to clear the Inland Border Facility. Today I believe there was a problem with P&O Ferries not running, and the M20 south/eastbound was closed from Ashford which caused a lot of delays, and there was a queue of at least six miles of lorries which meant everyone else had to use the A20.

So check before you travel, just in case it's one of those days.

Very interested in this as I’m using the tunnel at the end of July
All chargers were available when we arrived. We hung around in the terminal until full and then joined the queue for the train. Nice and easy. No charger queues in France when heading north or south, although some were very busy, so I'm sure there are queues at times. It's hard to work out the facilities at some of the non-aire based chargers