Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For a P100DL is it worth paying for Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or Michaelin Primacy MXM4 at no extra cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran primacys on my p85. I went through 4 sets in 74k miles. I averaged around 15k miles on each set (I had studded nokians for winter) they were good for handling but terrible for wear

On my p85D it came with the pilot sports. I love them over the primacys. I find better handling and better in wet (it rains a lot in Seattle. I’ve put 8k on them since picking up the car and went from 7/32 at delivery (was used) to 6/32 after 8k.

I do have an old primacy mounted on an old wheel at my home for emergencies. You could do that OP or go to the for sale section and post them

So what's the verdict on MXM4 versus A/S 3+ compared to the OEM Goodyear Tourings - are the MXM4's pretty much like the Goodyears overall, while the PS 3+ handles better but is noisier? Anyone go from the MXM4 to the PS 3+ to compare them directly? I need tires soon and have run several sets of MXM4's on other cars, but I'm wondering if the A/S 3+ is better all around on the S with little to no compromise in terms of ride / noise / wear / range.

I switched for the A/S 3+ a month ago from the OEM Goodyear, handling is better and they are smoother on imperfection in the road, I don't notice more noise however I think the consumption is higher with the Michelin, I haven't done a long drive yet so I don't have a better answer but my guess is maybe 5% or less.

I switched for the A/S 3+ a month ago from the OEM Goodyear, handling is better and they are smoother on imperfection in the road, I don't notice more noise however I think the consumption is higher with the Michelin, I haven't done a long drive yet so I don't have a better answer but my guess is maybe 5% or less.

That 5% less might be due to cooling temperatures...

Just wanted to report that I'm extremely happy with my Pilot Sport AS3/+ tires.

The tires dig in for Ludicrous launches even on wet pavement.
While I don't have Ludicrous mode I can agree that summer traction during launches is just as good as the standard Pilot Sport tires on the 21" wheels I had even comparing both brand new back to back. Maybe the slightly faster cars 0-60 would notice a difference in the traction but it's good enough for my 3-second blasts.

Winter traction thus far has been a mixed bag. Not too sure that they offer the traction I'd prefer in the winter months when the ice & snow is on the roads. Past versions of all-season tires have performed better but this was on different cars as well so I'm not entirely sure what I'm experiencing isn't just how Teslas handle the slippery stuff. I get a feeling of the back end sort of "floating" when the roads are slick which is anything but confidence inspiring. This was especially noticeable during a recent trip East of Albuquerque, NM when the roads were quite icy. It was white-knuckle but there were plenty of cars freshly off the road and into guard rails so I guess the fact that we stayed on the road is good. Still, I feel like the winter traction could be better and I may go back to something like a Conti DWS for better winter traction even if it costs a couple of tenths 0-60 in the summertime. For me the added safety would be a worthy trade-off.

Glad to hear they are working out. I also swapped the summer-only 19" Pilot Sport 4 tires that came with my car for all-season performance Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. No regrets. In warm weather they seem to stick as well as the 4s did, and of course I can use them here in the snow (not as sticky as dedicated snow tires, but I'm OK with that).

Reactions: UkrHog