Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For me the big benefit of autopilot is that it makes driving so much less fatiguing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After using AP 1.0 for 10 months, I realized how much subconscious, brain effort was going toward staying between the lines w/o AP. I have made 5 trips between Mid-Missouri and Denver the past 7 months with AP engaged at least 99% of the time. I arrive at chargers, lodging, and final destination quite relaxed because I feel more like a passenger than a driver. Traversing Kansas with AP and Audible Books is a great way to travel.

For me Autopilot makes the drive more stressful. I'll explain.

I'm more nervous because I need to keep a closer eye on the car behind me. Why? Because sometimes I have phantom breaking. It is not real dramatic, sort of like letting my foot of the pedal and going into regen breaking. The concern is a car behind me, following too close, may not notice that I'm breaking for no apparent reason.

Sometimes, not often, while on Autopilot my car decides it wants to take an exit. I take control, but my passengers are asking me what happened since the car jerks back into the lane.

Sometimes when lanes merge my car is not really sure what it should do. It seems to go into a "hunt" mode to determine the lane boundaries. In doing that I sometimes see what the car will do. I've had it cross into the next lane, with traffic, so I've had to jerk it back.

I have about a 50% lane change success. When there is no car in the way or approaching. I need to again assume control and force the lane change. That of course disengages Autopilot.

I now generally only use Autopilot when there is very little traffic and I can stay in a lane way from the right (exit) lane. But those are conditions that are less fatiguing to begin with. I have Autopilot 2.0.

Last edited:
AP1 owner here, been using it since the day it was released in October 2015. Put me firmly in the "it makes driving easier" camp. (Note that I have never driven or ridden in an AP2.0/2.5 car.) Random thoughts and things I've learned from the past 2.5 years...

o It helps immensely to understand the components of the AP hardware and software and what their limitations are. I am completely aware that one needs to research this.

o The "less fatigue" effect of using AP (which I will use to refer to the combination of TACC+autosteer) is both mental and physical. Mental because it's less effort to drive, and physical because my arms, hands, legs, and feet are not making micro-adjustments on the steering wheel and pedals. The effect is real...I've done long drives and not felt wiped out as I would have in the pre-AP days (both in my Tesla and in other cars).

o With AP engaged, it's easier to supervise AP driving than it is to do the driving myself. I can devote more mental attention to planning ahead rather than worrying about staying in the lane, not running into the car ahead of me, and so on. Always maintain situational awareness, but one can think about planning the drive a little more strategically and less tactically.

o There are definitely things that AP doesn't handle well. Very curvy roads, hills, driving into the sun, construction zones, accident zones, tunnels, and bridges with narrow shoulders are all places where I'll opt to take over control from AP before it gets in trouble. This is one of the key things...realize where it's likely to run into problems because of tolerances or due to unpredictability and take over control of the car before there's an issue. Actually, it's probably better to start out assuming that it doesn't do anything well, and then back off from that as you gain confidence in it.

o Remember that AP (at least AP1) is intended for driving on divided highways/freeways. I don't use it in town, ever. I think that people who do this are reckless. I'm not comfortable using AP on undivided roads, and I get nervous watching YouTube videos where people do this.

o At least one hand on the wheel at all times except for very brief exceptions. Not because of the nag timer, but because by keeping a hand on the wheel, I can feel what the car is doing. Every so often I'll gently wiggle the steering wheel...I want to feel the resistance that says that autosteer is still active. (I keep that habit because I have had a couple instances with TACC engaged, no autosteer, and have forgotten that the car wasn't steering itself!)

o Feet away from the pedals except when I'm getting ready to take over, to avoid accidentally nudging a pedal.

o Due diligence and common sense always. If I find myself in a situation where I'm not comfortable with what AP is doing, or I need the car to do something that AP can't do, I won't hesitate to take over.

o I don't know how much training Tesla gives new owners at delivery time (my car pre-dates the release of autopilot software, so that wasn't a factor). But IMHO, a one-hour delivery appointment with the car sitting in the delivery bay can't adequately explain autopilot to someone who's never used it before.

Bruce.

TACC is the most useful part as it allows one to look around without the worry of the guy in front suddenly braking. That's important for safety as well as scenery.

The Auto-steering is OK for uncomplicated freeway driving, but not much more. One can swivel around without the worry of dragging the steering wheel with you. I rest a hand such as to resist the wheel a bit when it makes a move; that keeps the nag function happy. But if the road is so straight that the controller makes no correction, you need a initiate a little tug now and then.

After using AP 1.0 for 10 months, I realized how much subconscious, brain effort was going toward staying between the lines w/o AP.
So true. Even more so on curves. i put the software clock up on the left side of the dashboard and glance at the second hand and put my hands on the wheel every 45 second to avoid getting the flashing blue lights. Have to admit i almost hit a raccoon on an Interstate a week ago. Note to self to be vigilant but driving is SO much more relaxing with AP and hardly any fatigue after long drives though not as long as OP.

In my previous ICE's I used to find just about ANY alternate route to avoid even the slightest hint of stop and go traffic. Hate it!!!
Now on my daily commute its a breeze. That's the best part of AP in my daily life. Road trips it is great for sure, I just don't do that many. Agree with feeling less stress/fatigue each drive for sure!