Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For me the big benefit of autopilot is that it makes driving so much less fatiguing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me AP is mostly just a gimmick still. It doesn't reduce my 'fatigue' at all, although to be honest I have never had a problem getting fatigued from driving to begin with. I did 200 miles yesterday with it on 99% of the time and it performed flawlessly.

Perhaps it depends on whether you have stop-and-go traffic? These 200 miles, were they @ highway speeds, or on a highway doing 5-15mph?

For me that is the great difference -- when driving in frustrating conditions, with jackasses jumping in front of the car every chance they get as though we're not all stuck in the traffic together, autopilot is a godsend. Relax, turn up the tunes, wait for some space to clear and then show your favourite jackass what 'P' means on the back of your car when there's actually somewhere to go :-D

• Love
Reactions: PrGrPa and bpjod
“If you can feel it.... it can feel you”. That’s my mantra for highway driving where I “rest” (resist really) one hand on the bottom of the wheel.

I also use the Left hand resting on the bottom of the wheel. I would often get the "Hold Wheel" message and flashing lights, sometimes it would even disengage. After getting the messages I would place both hands on the wheel and begin to squeeze the wheel in various places up and down and it would still disengage and not register that I was holding the wheel.

It was not until I was told that the system looks for turning resistance, not pressure holding the wheel that I was finally able to avoid the warning signal.

I also use the Left hand resting on the bottom of the wheel. I would often get the "Hold Wheel" message and flashing lights, sometimes it would even disengage. After getting the messages I would place both hands on the wheel and begin to squeeze the wheel in various places up and down and it would still disengage and not register that I was holding the wheel.

It was not until I was told that the system looks for turning resistance, not pressure holding the wheel that I was finally able to avoid the warning signal.
Same here. I blame inadequate documentation for this. Very annoying to be told to "hold the wheel" when you are clutching it in a white-knuckle grip.

When we're talking about "Autopilot," we should break it down into its components, TACC (traffic-aware cruise control) and Autosteer (automatic lane keeping). For me, TACC is what's responsible for 90% of fatigue reduction.

With TACC enabled, I don't have to be consciously monitoring all the traffic in front of me for significant changes in speed. Worrying constantly about coming up on slow-moving traffic and having to hit the brakes is a headache on long trips; TACC takes on that burden for you. And in stop-and-go traffic, TACC frees you from leg cramps and muscle pain that can result from repetitively moving your foot back and forth between the brake and accelerator. It's not a unique Tesla feature, but I wouldn't buy another car that didn't have a TACC-like "smart" cruise control.

Autosteer is not as big a factor yet when it comes to reducing stress. It does allow you to look away for a second or two, e.g. to read a sign or scan the horizon, without worrying that you will stray out of your lane and hit someone. But it can also add some stress when losing its bearings, like when cresting a hill or approaching a lane split. If the car only had TACC and didn't have Autosteer, it would still be enjoyable and much less fatiguing to drive. The reverse is probably not the case.

Reactions: PrGrPa and bpjod
Autopilot can definitely reduce fatigue, but if it does, then I am paying less attention to the road condition then manual driving which means I am not using the system as I am supposed to (keep hands on wheel, be prepared to take over at any time). Keeping 2 hands on wheel and brain alert to take over at any time is going to be more stressful and tiring than manual driving. You would know if you have ever driven with a teenage learner driver.

AP is better than it is claimed to be tesla legal team, and I am suspecting that many of us are using it not exactly as the disclaimer requires us to, so it is indeed less tiring on long drives.

Som day which I hope it will be soon, we can have a level 3 system and it will allow to use it the way it is supposed to be used and be less tired too.
First, doesn't it require more attention to drive with AP since it could do something you normally wouldn't do (like drive into oncoming traffic or suddenly brake without a reason - both well documented here). I find that on some roads, I feel more comfortable steering with my knees when cleaning my glasses than to allow AP to take charge without my holding the steering wheel and be ready to hit the brake or accelerator.

Second, where does this claimed lessening of fatigue with AP come from? Is is because your don't have to steer, leaving your muscles less fatigued, or is it that pay less attention than when you drive? If it's the latter, it's that more dangerous? If a situation arises where you have to take over and you have less situational awareness than you would if you had been driving yourself, then you are at higher risk of making a mistake, no?

I'm new Tesla S85 late 2014 owner with AP1.
I made two road trips, 400km each, mostly on side roads and i used AP 70% of the time to test it and to know it limitations.

I've read for months, posts from other real life tesla users, to be sure what to expect, but finaly AP1 was above my excpectations.
I thought that AP in it's current state will be useless on side roads, but it's quite good if you know what to expect and use it as driving help, not to drive for you.
Of course you can use it only where lines are clearly visible, but even on roads without emergency lane.
I was suprised how well AP1 keeps in middle of the lane and how well it handles curves, while driving on polish country roads at 90-100km/h.

During this 800km trip i had three situations which would be dangerous if AP1 was left unattended.
First was on traffic island which was not correctly marked with road lanes, which AP passed turning wheel abruptly right and i was affraid that it'll hit curb, which it probably wouldn't, because it started to turn left as i took control, but i didnt want to risk wheel damage :)
Second was up hill when road was turning left and at hill top curve changed to right. There was no traffic at oposite lane so i left AP on and it crossed middle line around 1m and got back to previous lane after which AP shut off.
Third was most dangerous if it was uninspected. There was sharp curve with lines and suddenly all lines dissapeared leaving all road black blending with dirt on side road and AP started to drive straight which would finish in forrest if i wouldnt take control.
All above sytuations were clearly visible to me long before they happened and AP was left on intentionaly to see how it will react.

For now it is more than i have hoped for. It will not drive for you, but it's driver assistance, which will let you take off eyes from road for few seconds to do something.

I'm driving twice a month 1500km trips mainly on highways, so i concidered only Tesla with AP, because trips are so long and boring. To be honest behind the wheel when traffic is light on highways i sometimes browse through emails, messeges etc to ease the trip. Switching eyes from windshield to phone screen for few seconds. Yes i know - it's dengerous and forbidden by law. Many of us do it, rarely anybody admits it. Thats why i needed AP, to do what i did with regular car (without TACC) for past few years, but safer.

Reactions: jbcarioca
First, doesn't it require more attention to drive with AP since it could do something you normally wouldn't do (like drive into oncoming traffic or suddenly brake without a reason - both well documented here). I find that on some roads, I feel more comfortable steering with my knees when cleaning my glasses than to allow AP to take charge without my holding the steering wheel and be ready to hit the brake or accelerator.

Second, where does this claimed lessening of fatigue with AP come from? Is is because your don't have to steer, leaving your muscles less fatigued, or is it that pay less attention than when you drive? If it's the latter, it's that more dangerous? If a situation arises where you have to take over and you have less situational awareness than you would if you had been driving yourself, then you are at higher risk of making a mistake, no?
You are using AP to mean Autosteer. I am saying that you could turn on TACC without enabling Autosteer, and that's where the benefit lies. Of course you need to pay attention, but there's not quite the same level of stress when the car is able to maintain the proper distance between you and the car ahead of you. That has nothing to do with Autosteer.

You are using AP to mean Autosteer. I am saying that you could turn on TACC without enabling Autosteer, and that's where the benefit lies. Of course you need to pay attention, but there's not quite the same level of stress when the car is able to maintain the proper distance between you and the car ahead of you. That has nothing to do with Autosteer.
Agreed. If by AP reducing fatigue everyone means using TACC only, then I agree. Maybe we shouldn't refer to TACC as AutoPilot just because Tesla chose to bundle it with AutoSteer and call it AP. TACC is an old feature that other cars have had for years under different names (e.g. laser cruise control for Toyota).

Reactions: thecloud
I'm driving twice a month 1500km trips mainly on highways, so i concidered only Tesla with AP, because trips are so long and boring. To be honest behind the wheel when traffic is light on highways i sometimes browse through emails, messeges etc to ease the trip. Switching eyes from windshield to phone screen for few seconds. Yes i know - it's dengerous and forbidden by law. Many of us do it, rarely anybody admits it. Thats why i needed AP, to do what i did with regular car (without TACC) for past few years, but safer.
Well, don't include me in your "many of us do it" excuse. I don't read emails or texts while driving! There's a big difference between looking down at a screen, and keeping the road ahead in view.

Reactions: PrGrPa
People take risks. Some have tied a weight (an orange, or beer can) to the steering wheel, get out of your seat while still buckled, and take videos of car driving itself. Dangerous, irresponsible, and illegal, but still some people will do it anyways. I guess some may even attempt a nap on the back seat and rave about how they arrived refreshed (if they arrive alive and in one piece) - it doesn't make it safe or recommended.

Reactions: PrGrPa and thecloud
The biggest benefit to of owning my MS is AP. I drive about 100+ freeway miles daily in rush hour traffic surrounded by clueless drivers, IMHO, performing insane maneuvers to get one car ahead! Driving almost 90% of that commute on AP1 is absolutely life changing! In my previous Mercedes, I would walk into my office or home seething with anger but now I relax with my right hand hooked on the wheel at around 5 O'clock and listen to music, podcasts etc. and the MS glides on...Plus not having to deal with gas stations is heaven!

This is one of those things that is not highlighted enough in general and in the media. I feel more mentally at ease driving. Or I mean not as mentally or physically tired after driving the car. Huge benefit of Autopilot.
You'd be even more refreshed if you slept with an orange in your steering wheel Of course, that's taking a risk, but so is paying less attention with AP driving. Maybe you are just willing to take one and not the other.

I have to agree with folks on the side of fatigue reduction with EAP/AP1/AP2.

I’ve found my driving irritation and fatigue has decreased markedly with moves from manual transmission to automatic to cruise to cruise with collision detect and avoid to testing EAP and within the next 2 weeks actually having EAP on my upcoming model S.

Each change has let me focus more on the driving environment and conditions and less on the mechanics of controlling the vehicle.

Collision detect and avoid on a previous MB was both a money and lifesaver in a couple of situations where I’d foolishly let my fatigue grow to the point of inattentiveness in stop-go motorway/freeway traffic. I now recognise that ‘just another 30miles’ is a dumb way to drive and taking a break is best.

When I tested EAP I really liked the TACC features. Go, slow, stop, go ... much calmer than the driving I see with folks cutting out, cutting in, and getting to the traffic lights 5-10m ahead of me. I suspect machine-mediated driving will help make me a better and more considerate driver. Now if auto-lane-change adopts a similar, calm, approach when it arrives I’ll be content.

I relish these safety and convenience features.

I am a conservative driver with AP1. I keep one hand on the wheel for autosteer and I turn off AutoP when I think it’s going to be stressful to oversee.

It’s still a tremendous stress/fatigue reliever for me. Why?
  • Keeping your foot off the pedal, all that pedaling adds up.
  • Not having to be the first reactor to start/stop of car ahead. In my experience, AP1 practically never makes a mistake on speed except when the lanes disappear on a big curve, and sometimes notices subtle changes on speed before I do.
  • Similarly, AP excels in stop and go city driving, which is a major stressor. If it could stop for red lights and stop signs, that would make it the complete dream package.
  • Not having to be first steerer on curves. It is much easier to monitor good driving than to carry it out.
  • After experience, you get the hang of when AP is reliable and you really relax then. I don’t trust AP in left lanes with close barriers or approaching big trucks, so I tend to take over. But on straightish stretches, my trust is complete.
Is it as relaxing as someone else trustworthy driving? Of course not. In fact I seriously question whether Level 3 autonomy will get here without a huge reworking of the highway system and car fleet. Too many dangerous edge cases.

But for cutting the stress of driving in half? Absolutely, even while being a responsilbe driver.

If the car only had TACC and didn't have Autosteer, it would still be enjoyable and much less fatiguing to drive. The reverse is probably not the case.

Disagree. Autosteer without TACC would still be an improvement over driving completely by hand in terms of fatigue and attention needed - and more importantly, Autosteer + TACC is a far bigger improvement than either one alone.

Yes, you still have to pay some attention, but it's fairly predictable where AP will get into trouble, and the difference between having to set the curve every moment and having to watch for major adjustments and errors is terms of mental effort is enormous. You can tell when AP is losing confidence, too - it starts making bigger corrections at slower intervals.

When the wheel starts jumping in your hand, you need to take control. The rest of the time you mostly just need to watch for road debris and idiots.

Reactions: PrGrPa and teslcls
On nice roads, it works well and is stress and fatigue relieving. On hilly, winding or poor roads, it actually adds stress as you are never quite sure when it is going to swerve out of your lane. So around unpredictable roads or traffic, AP stays off. Early morning and late afternoon shadows can cause problems as well, so I leave AP off during those hours as well.

The dips in the road are what really confuse AP consistently though. I travel a 20-mile stretch of road on Highway 95 south of Quartzsite, AZ twice a week. At the top of a rise the car veers right, and then as it starts down into the dip, the car violently swerves left into oncoming traffic. It gets 2/3 of the way into the oncoming lane before reaching the bottom of the dip and noticing it's error, only to swerve violently back into the correct lane. Scary stuff.

I've found much the same on the central coast of CA. AP1 on a 2015 S85D has been a great stress reliever in slow & go traffic around the Bay Area, and a fatigue reliever on the open road on vacations to Jellystone, Moab, and Victoria. However, driving Hwy 1 through Big Sur is a different story. Between tourist traffic unpredictability and varying radius curves combined with climbs and descents, AP1 is a stress inducer. Fortunately, that's a road I WANT to drive myself ... can't let AP have all the fun.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
Agreed. If by AP reducing fatigue everyone means using TACC only, then I agree. Maybe we shouldn't refer to TACC as AutoPilot just because Tesla chose to bundle it with AutoSteer and call it AP. TACC is an old feature that other cars have had for years under different names (e.g. laser cruise control for Toyota).

TACC is the perfect balance between random crisis AP and regular stress inducing driving ... YMMV :cool: