Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those hesitant to give Plaid your credentials when paying...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't find any option to pay on the computer website. All it says is download the Tesla app, which takes me back to square 1. Is there a trick/URL to pay on the web?
I have the same thing, I don't think payment gets unlocked until maybe you have a delivery date and get closer to it. I can scroll across on my app to the payment screen but it's not active for me yet.

I can't find any option to pay on the computer website. All it says is download the Tesla app, which takes me back to square 1. Is there a trick/URL to pay on the web?
I was able to get to it through the app. Get started through the plaid process, and when it shows you a list of banks, x out of there. If you wait a second, it'll pop up with an option to add your account info manually

1643479775424.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
I'm hoping someone can help me with this I tried using Plaid normally but it keeps giving me an error when i enter the verification code for my account so i cant even connect at all. Then if i try to back out to enter the information normally it just says the only other way to pay is with a cashiers check, doesn't even give me the option to enter the account.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this I tried using Plaid normally but it keeps giving me an error when i enter the verification code for my account so i cant even connect at all. Then if i try to back out to enter the information normally it just says the only other way to pay is with a cashiers check, doesn't even give me the option to enter the account.
Same
I wonder if paying in full, like I am, makes it so you can’t add manually. I read some people pay their down with a personal check and they can but when I asked to pay in full with personal check they said no. Maybe it’s based on the dollar amount?

question -- if i preemptively set this up on my account can i wait until pick up day to initiate, or do you have to do this immediately once you setup plaid on your account?

and do i understand, once you show up to get the car, there is some app or something you can use to send payment over to tesla that they will see within seconds or am i missing something?

thanks for the response on this.

I'm not sure I can answer this one. I didn't use Plaid. I went through the steps and then backed out and since I hadn't completed the Plaid setup it asked for my bank routing and account info. Once I input that it was automatic, there wasn't a "set it up and wait" option on the process I went through.

@lUtriaNt I think the normal way to pay for a new Tesla at pickup/delivery is with a cashier's check.

In theory you can do a same day wire transfer IF your pickup time is early enough to get the wire request in before the same day deadline. But that's still not "this minute" immediate AND there's a small risk your bank could delay the transfer until next day even if you get your request in early. Plus I don't know how quickly Tesla associates incoming wire funds with reservations. (Maybe someone else here does?) So there could be risk the wire goes through but the delivery center folks can't see it right away.

I think a wire transfer is the best way to prepay before pickup/delivery. And ACH (NOT Plaid!!) is 2nd best as long as you do ACH a week in advance (give time for the large transfer to clear). For paying day of with Tesla a cashier's check seems best, and that's what my wife and I used.

(Personally I trust Tesla to get us the right car we ordered and to make things right if they attempt to give us a car that's really messed up. So I might be okay paying in advance...but I've never paid for any car without seeing it first, new or used, and I didn't see a reason to start.)

I wasn't comfortable with the Plaid or even the ACH process, but getting a cashier's check from the bank was difficult given my work hours and proximity to a bank that had real people in it during the pandemic. So I put my ACH info in 2 days ahead of delivery figuring there may be a lag or that Tesla would pull it when they needed it. They pulled it immediately, but I figured I could trust them to deliver a car and in the end it all worked out fine.

Reactions: enemji and tm1v2
Tesla - Payment must be complete prior to delivery. Please read this in its entirety for payment instructions.
Please send your cashier's check to the following address and follow the guidance to send check images and tracking details to Tesla Delivery Support to complete your final payment.

BEFORE SHIPPING: Scan and send images of the front and back of the check and Tracking Number to: [email protected] Please include order number (RN#) in the subject line.

Shipping a Certified Check or Cashier's Check: Please include your name and your reservation number (RN#) in the memo section.

Make check payable to: Tesla Inc.

Shipping address:
Tesla
Attn: Funding Team
45500 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538

If you have any questions, please reply to this message. Thank you.
In light of this, I chose Plaid and authorized the payment yesterday. The money has not yet been withdrawn. I suspect it being a weekend. My EDD is 2/14-2/18.

@lUtriaNt I think the normal way to pay for a new Tesla at pickup/delivery is with a cashier's check.
thanks for your input.

this will be my second tesla purchase. to be frank, i forgot how i paid my downpayment to tesla last time -- i think i did it through the tesla website where it was a debit card. i do not think i put my bank info in. i actually think i used a debit card but i cant recall... anyway thanks for the tips...

i had an email conversation with an SA who helped me on my first tesla (i never got one this time around) and he wrote that i can put in my bank account info direct into the app/web page of the reservation and pay that way. so i plan on doing this.

i had an email conversation with an SA who helped me on my first tesla (i never got one this time around) and he wrote that i can put in my bank account info direct into the app/web page of the reservation and pay that way. so i plan on doing this.
I faced same issue. At the bank selection screen I x'ed out few times, it allowed me to add manually. This will end up adding your bank routing/account number under your wallet on app.

I faced same issue. At the bank selection screen I x'ed out few times, it allowed me to add manually. This will end up adding your bank routing/account number under your wallet on app.
You must have gotten lucky or something, I've tried that prob 10x and it still defaults to plaid. Worked to setup the wallet though.

For anyone still trying to find a way to not use plaid. When the list of banks displays, type in the search box random letters until no banks are displayed. There will be a button that shows “exit”. You’ll then be able to manually enter your banking information.

For anyone still trying to find a way to not use plaid. When the list of banks displays, type in the search box random letters until no banks are displayed. There will be a button that shows “exit”. You’ll then be able to manually enter your banking information.
Yes, still trying, thank you! :) I tried that process, and the dialog states in no uncertain terms “..or exit to manually add your account”. Tapping exit I get a popup “Bank account could not be added”, and the options “View Wire Details” or “Try Again”, which restarts the same process. Seems like it might be a bug, since Plaid itself seems to offer the option to manually add an account.