Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those hesitant to give Plaid your credentials when paying...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plaid is a mess !! - the confirmation email was incorrect and the domain was correct - no option to edit. (Backed Out of that mess).
Had to go the bank and do a wire transfer - details are on page 4 of the "MVPA" or Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement.
Beneficiary name and address as required on wire transfer is not spelled out in their instructions - used the local Tesla store/service center as specified on the MVPA page 1.

I tried that. Did not work. (Perhaps changed since June?) The only other options were to initiate a wire transfer with the bank (more hassle, and involves a fee) or get a certified check from the bank (also a hassle). I also would prefer to give routing # and account #, rather than give them my bank sign-in and password. But I don't see any way around it, other than wire transfer or certified check? (I actually would much prefer to pay by credit card (for which I get cash back), but they only accept that for the $250 order fee.
The discount fee on a Tesla credit card purchase means that we would have to eat on your cash back is likely 1.75% or $900 - that's a whole lot of steaks and beer!

FYI: Plaid does not know your password. This authentication type is called OAuth that directly gets authenticated at the financial institution and plaid would not know anything other than the "token". I am not a Plaid representative lol but Software Engineer and know exactly how this works. In loose terms, think of how many websites often allow you to login using Google/Facebook accounts, they don't know anything about your password but bridges for what is called OAuth authentication.

But certainly options are there for those not comfortable.
@schlacterdream that is how Plaid's system should work, but for the several banks I clicked on it asked for login and password. No one should ever give that out. I would be fine with granting an OAuth permission for setting up a specific transfer, but that wasn't an option.

@RickA1 Thanks for discovering and posting this!

I'll also note that Tesla accepts wire transfers as another way to prepay. The wire instructions are at the bottom of your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (MVPA). For someone prepaying a week or more in advance, I would suggest the ACH trick from this thread. If you're right up against your delivery/pickup date but still want to prepay electronically (no cashier's check), then wire transfer is a good option.

I'll also note one of my financial institutions does wire transfers for free, whereas they all charge a fee for a cashier's check, though the typical $10-$20 fee is peanuts in the context of purchasing a new Tesla. (Personally I brought a cashier's check with me to pay at pickup, as I don't usually prepay for a car and I didn't see a reason to this time.)

I recently used Plaid to pay the final balance on my 21 M3 LR. I was not going to give Plaid my banking credentials (user name and password) but found a work-around that uses the usual ACH info. You can close the "select your bank" dialog box, using the X in the upper right corner. You'll be presented a new option to add your account info manually. After that you'll be prompted for the usual ACH info (routing number and account number). I felt better going this route. Hope this is helpful!
It appears that this work-around no longer works. Is there any other way to enter routing number and account number rather than login credentials?

Reactions: rexki
It appears that this work-around no longer works. Is there any other way to enter routing number and account number rather than login credentials?
Yup. I just had to do this the other day.

I entered in bogus bank information a few times until it pissed Plaid off. After that, a Tesla website window popped up allowing me to enter routing/account info.

Yup. I just had to do this the other day.

I entered in bogus bank information a few times until it pissed Plaid off. After that, a Tesla website window popped up allowing me to enter routing/account info.
I tried bogus info multiple times but Plaid was locked into loop to reenter or choose another bank. Any other hints how to get to a Tesla website window to enter routing/account info? Seems that this can only be done from the app, right?

When we bought our XLR+ in Dec 2020, I believe Plaid was the payment system that we used. Does anyone know if Plaid is used for payments outside of the US? My father-in-law has a Model 3 on order in Canada, and I'm curious if he will also end up using Plaid.

I tried bogus info multiple times but Plaid was locked into loop to reenter or choose another bank. Any other hints how to get to a Tesla website window to enter routing/account info? Seems that this can only be done from the app, right?
I just realized I only gave half of the info to you. I gave Plaid the actual username and PW to my bank, but when it came time to answer the security questions, that's when I gave wrong answers. That way there was no access. It finally kicked me off and gave the routing/account portion.

I just realized I only gave half of the info to you. I gave Plaid the actual username and PW to my bank, but when it came time to answer the security questions, that's when I gave wrong answers. That way there was no access. It finally kicked me off and gave the routing/account portion.
That's no good, as a third party still has your username and password; you should change your password immediately if you already haven't (or didn't pre-change it to a different password first.)

I emailed [email protected] and let them know my intentions of paying with a certified check, which is still an accepted form of payment. I was told I could ignore that section in the app.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
That's no good, as a third party still has your username and password; you should change your password immediately if you already haven't (or didn't pre-change it to a different password first.)

I emailed [email protected] and let them know my intentions of paying with a certified check, which is still an accepted form of payment. I was told I could ignore that section in the app.
I changed it to a random PW put in the fake info, then changed it back

Reactions: BigNick
I used the work around last week and it was working fine then. I got to the bank screen and when I closed out of it there was a Tesla form asking for my bank routing information. I never selected a bank or anything. I then filled that form out and it submitted the payment just fine.

I just confirmed it still works. Click “Add Payment Method” from the app, click “Add Bank Account” on subsequent screen, click “Get Started” then immediately tap the “X” in the upper right corner and the app gives the option to add account details manually.

I just confirmed it still works. Click “Add Payment Method” from the app, click “Add Bank Account” on subsequent screen, click “Get Started” then immediately tap the “X” in the upper right corner and the app gives the option to add account details manually.
Doesn't work for me! After tapping the "X" in the upper right corner I get the screen with "Add Bank Account, Try another bank account or pay with other options." "Pay with Other Options," and "Search Again." Only the Pay with Other Options and Search Again areas are clickable. I CANNOT click on the Add Bank Account option. Pay with Other Options takes me to an info screen describing wire transfer and certified check option.

I'm on an iPhone running iOS 15.1.1; maybe that's the problem???

How does the Plaid payment process work? I have entered bank account details on Plaid but no payment has been made. Having read this thread I want to get payment completed and change password asap.
Answering my own question, apparently the Plaid payment portal opens up a day or two before delivery. I wish I had known that before.

BTW, Tesla does not take the money out prior to your delivery. They just get Plaid access to the account and they can see the balance and it displays on the Plaid screen.
Does your bank also require a PIN? My primary account does so I'm going to pay from another account that does not, because I'd bet anything the PIN requirement would kluge up Plaid. Also, I use USAA--which of course I love!--but with no physical bank if I had to revert to Plan B for a cashier's check that would be hard to do quickly.

Does your bank also require a PIN? My primary account does so I'm going to pay from another account that does not, because I'd bet anything the PIN requirement would kluge up Plaid. Also, I use USAA--which of course I love!--but with no physical bank if I had to revert to Plan B for a cashier's check that would be hard to do quickly.
Unfortunately no PIN. Capital One has the worst online banking security. You don't even have to enter anything. Chrome or Edge form memory from last usage is good enough to login. ING bank (Dutch) had an online floating keyboard for passwords. When Capital one purchased US operations, it got rid of all security. Their main business is subprime credit cards, and that is how they operate. No Pin, no 2 factor authentication (Tesla), nor VIP Authentication (Schwab/Fidelity etc.), nor text message pin (Vanguard, SSA etc.). I am looking at dumping Capital 1, and I am on the look out for online banks with better security than Capital One. Capital One thus restricts how much one can wire transfer and to whom. One can wire transfer only to some one who has been in your contact list for 1 month and that too a maximum of $50k. They do not trust their own security so limit all banking activities that they deem as "risky".

Does your bank also require a PIN? My primary account does so I'm going to pay from another account that does not, because I'd bet anything the PIN requirement would kluge up Plaid. Also, I use USAA--which of course I love!--but with no physical bank if I had to revert to Plan B for a cashier's check that would n I
When I picked up at the Baltimore SC, I just told him that divulging my banking credentials was not an option. He said "OK, want to write a check?" And then it wasn't cashed for about 2 weeks but it worked out great!

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and Wigan