Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who are a little hesitant to pull the trigger, what are some of your concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
#2 is a nonstarter. Unqualified people without months of training should be handling and attempting to repair electric cars with high voltages. Heck I could even make the argument for ICE cars beyond routine consumables like oil, filters, and maybe spark plugs.

Companies have a vested interested in opposing right to repair fronts to protect their consumers and themselves. Some idiot will bring their car, or their piece of electronics to a non-authorized and non-certified repair center which will probably do a foul job and make the problem worse. Then the consumer turns around and whines to the OEM. Anyone who does that kinda of stuff to their phone or car should be blacklisted from OEM service.

Fine if you want to DIY or third party repair your products to save a buck. Just don't go crying to the OEM.

That doesn't make any sense and is one of the reasons replacing a door on a Model X costs $18K.

Tesla service is slow and unaffordable.

Also, this isn't the only car with a high voltage battery on the market. Volts, Priuses, etc can all be repaired by third parties without problems.

wow, those are very incremental improvements and not awe striking in any way. Majority aesthetics and presentation, some improved fuel economy and some additional air bags for those who are busy chatting on the phone and not concentrating on the road or motorists around them.

I think you and I both know that not every accident is avoidable, even if you concentrate on the road and the motorists around. Additional safety is important, or at least it is to me. I would have through it would be important to you as you mentioned giving a car to a young driver. I it one of my top concerns as my daughters get to driving age.

Being able to get documentation, tools, and parts from service centers is my biggest hang-up. I still ordered the car, but the idea of paying hundreds of dollars an hour for something I can do myself is frustrating. Hopefully Tesla will bring their documentation, tool, and parts availability in line with what other dealerships offer by the time I need to fix/replace some stuff. At the same time, given how the 3 is built and performs relative to the S/X, it may be the Prius of EVs when it comes to maintenance, which would be OK too.

Last edited:
I think you and I both know that not every accident is avoidable, even if you concentrate on the road and the motorists around. Additional safety is important, or at least it is to me. I would have through it would be important to you as you mentioned giving a car to a young driver. I it one of my top concerns as my daughters get to driving age.

It is but have you not realized that with one of the latest safety features, auto-emergency braking, the chance of getting rear-ended increases?

That's why I mentioned minimum for me would with electronic stability control (which all new cars must come with) and ACC because if the car actually follow at a set distance, then the risk of rear-ending the car is nil, unless the sensors are blocked or malfunction.

We have the RAV4 and it does have ACC but no low speed follow, AEB and all other newer safety technology. None of these techs will keep one from harm even if you were to stick to one lane for the most part if there are aholes on the road weaving through traffic or cutting people off discourteously.

We still have to check the side mirrors, rear view mirrors from time to time and have a good sense of our speed relative to other motorist as we pass them by or as we make sure we aren't cut off even when we are already driving almost on the right most lane of the highway. I just accelerate and decrease the gap between my car and the car in front of me so those aholes who are getting on the highway don't get so giddy thinking they can just cut through any gap in the traffic flow. I also put a dash cam which will help keep my premiums low.

We just have to be more defensive and alert drivers because stupid things happen and all the new technology in the world (maybe except for more tensile strength in the body or in case of the Audi A8, lifting of the body when it senses a T-bone collision to protect its occupants) will currently not lower the risks of lateral / diagonal (non-head on) crashes.

Heck, we should even have auto emergency speeding in case the car senses the car behind us is about to rear end us forcefully. :)

Right to repair is not just about a DIY doing a repair. It's about the right for other independent companies to have the data to do a repair. You can't have professional, independent shops that can repair a car without the manufacturer providing data. Without that, the OEM's can charge whatever they want. So you're OK with Tesla realizing that there's no competition to their service centers, and setting non-warranty work at $250 an hour?

But, your general argument seems to be that all auto parts stores should basically be outlawed because they sell parts to idiots in their garages.

While we're at it, why not make private ownership of vehicles illegal, and only allow manufacturer leases? If you're not allowed to make any repair to a car in the way you want, what's the point of ownership? You're just renting something that isn't yours.

I'd be okay with that. Car ownership is wasteful and inefficient. Once we have fully self driving cars, car ownership for the masses becomes irrelevant. Just have robotaxis on call.

I'd be okay with that. Car ownership is wasteful and inefficient. Once we have fully self driving cars, car ownership for the masses becomes irrelevant. Just have robotaxis on call.

Sure, once we're there. But for now, with Tesla, what we have is that you buy a car with your money, up front, and then are stuck using only Tesla to work on it, at whatever rates they want.

• Helpful
Reactions: internalaudit
No HUB is my concern. Elon said we won’t care. But he was wrong. If the HUB was a $600 option 99% of all m3 buyers would order it. Considering it would probably only cost Tesla $30 extra manufacturing cost per car it’s a missed business opportunity. With a HUB you can have a lot more screen realestate and the nav info on the driver side not to mention it’s cool and alot more convenient checking your speed. Worse thing of all I think the m3 is never going to have one because Elon had to defend himself on twitter for not installing them. This makes me sad because the car would be a lot better with one.

HUD = Head Up Display

I completely agree it should’ve been an option.