Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who paid $5K, $6K for Dual Motors....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there confirmed folks here who paid more? Early reservations paid the lowest prices and anyone currently in process is getting adjusted. I’m wondering how many people fell in the middle and actually paid more. My in process order had the price adjusted down yesterday so I’m very happy with that. I’d be a little disappointed if I fell in that window and paid more but I’d get over it pretty fast lol. I’m too excited to stay mad long

Are there confirmed folks here who paid more? Early reservations paid the lowest prices and anyone currently in process is getting adjusted. I’m wondering how many people fell in the middle and actually paid more. My in process order had the price adjusted down yesterday so I’m very happy with that. I’d be a little disappointed if I fell in that window and paid more but I’d get over it pretty fast lol. I’m too excited to stay mad long

I remember seeing the Tesla's 3 Order Configuration showed $55,000 for LW AWD base price. That sure was $6000 over LR RWD. I think it was like it for over a month(not too sure how long).

With Q3 big sale figures, there got to be people who paid $6K for dual motors.

Of course they regret it? Why rub it in!

With tesla, everyone one pays the same price, at least at the time or ordering...6k AWD + White interior is now $2500 cheaper.

True. Everytime price is changed by Tesla, very often I see "No regret! Love the car and enjoy every moment" comments. I often wondered if that is what actually goes in their mind. Or maybe they are so rich that $2K is nothing to them?

Was wondering the new batch of buyers get the same reaction.

Seems silly to worry about. Every other car changes price too. I guess with Tesla it's more transparent and not a function of incentives, rebates, kickback, supply, demand, inventory, financing deals, day of the month, etc. that it is with the tradition car dealer/manufacturer sales model.
It's likely in this case that they just received their cars though. It's one thing when you had it for a month or so, but another when you pick it up and the next day or next few days it costs $2500 less. That always hurts for me especially when it's a car you have been waiting for for so long.

Nah. Tesla isn't out to screw people it just isn't in the DNA of the company (hopefully it stays that way).

Tesla uses price changes as demand levers more than anything, they aren't trying to gouge people. Look at all the folks they automatically give price reductions to when they drop the price on an option.

Getting a good deal feels nice but I wouldn't see it as getting screwed by Tesla when they drop/raise the price here or there.

It's one thing when you had it for a month or so, but another when you pick it up and the next day or next few days it costs $2500 less. That always hurts for me especially when it's a car you have been waiting for for so long.

It doesn't "always hurt" if you just change your perspective. Imagine buying, getting your car, then finding out shortly thereafter that cars with AP hardware are coming off the assembly line at no additional cost. That happened to a lot of us here. There were longs thread here about it that must still exist but are long buried. Basically, like most things in life, we had a choice: complain and cry (or be "always hurt") like the little kid who couldn't enjoy his one cookie if the kid next to him got two, or enjoy what we bought and paid for, and were perfectly fine with, until it cost less, came with more, etc. I took the later perspective and told people to be happy with what they bought and paid for, and never looked back. I was also happy -- not bitter -- for those that got AP hardware and told them so, while telling the complainers to stop complaining.

Life is all about perspective. Being happy and grateful for what you have makes for a better life, at least for me. Being bitter eats at your soul. We talk to ourselves all day long. Telling yourself to be grateful when you tend to feel bitter really works, again at least for me.

It definitely sucks but the way I see it is that at time of purchase, you knew exactly what you were paying for and at what price. If your car wasn't produced yet, the right thing for Tesla to do is essentially goodwill it at the new lower price, but if it's already being transported, then they shouldn't have the same obligation.

Another way to look at it is that Tesla grandfathered in those who haven't bought FSD at $4k. If you don't pay extra if the price increases in the future, then you can't complain about getting a deduction if the price is lowered.

Now that the price dropped to $4K over former RWD LR $49,000, do you feel bitter about this?

Do you wish you waited longer and regret pulling the trigger too early?

Just curious what goes in buyers' mind.

No. I'm not. I got the car I wanted for a price I was willing to pay. A free tip from me to anybody interested. When you buy something, stop looking. If you buy a house, stop following the market. If you buy a phone, stop looking at the latest releases. Same with a car. There are always better deals, newer models, etc. Spend what you want for what you want and move on with your life.

Being bitter about any of this just makes people look foolish, IMO.

It doesn't "always hurt" if you just change your perspective. Imagine buying, getting your car, then finding out shortly thereafter that cars with AP hardware are coming off the assembly line at no additional cost. That happened to a lot of us here. There were longs thread here about it that must still exist but are long buried. Basically, like most things in life, we had a choice: complain and cry (or be "always hurt") like the little kid who couldn't enjoy his one cookie if the kid next to him got two, or enjoy what we bought and paid for, and were perfectly fine with, until it cost less, came with more, etc. I took the later perspective and told people to be happy with what they bought and paid for, and never looked back. I was also happy -- not bitter -- for those that got AP hardware and told them so, while telling the complainers to stop complaining.

Life is all about perspective. Being happy and grateful for what you have makes for a better life, at least for me. Being bitter eats at your soul. We talk to ourselves all day long. Telling yourself to be grateful when you tend to feel bitter really works, again at least for me.

In a lot of people case, they had working AP1 that functioned in October 2016 and still functions now.

Those with AP2 finally reached AP1 parity.

Lots of AP2 people actually wanted AP1 so go figure. :)

No one is ever happy!

With that said, and no one seems to agree with me but I believe Model 3 will not change drastically - at least not through 2019. TMC and Elon’s twitter would crash with all the crying if there was some substantial non upgradable new function that required a new car.

Elon can talk all he wants about not buying Tesla’s if you are afraid of progress but look what happened regarding 3P- track gate.

Elon folded faster than a lawn chair.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and ebmcs03
Love my awd. Need it for where I live. Got screwed or not on the price; what’s 5/6k. Pocket change. Lol. Just kidding. But I do not regret getting the car now rather then later. It puts a smile on my face every time I pass a person who wants to race.

Nah. Tesla isn't out to screw people it just isn't in the DNA of the company (hopefully it stays that way).

Tesla uses price changes as demand levers more than anything, they aren't trying to gouge people. Look at all the folks they automatically give price reductions to when they drop the price on an option.

Getting a good deal feels nice but I wouldn't see it as getting screwed by Tesla when they drop/raise the price here or there.

This. They lowered my price automatically, with no questions asked. I'm taking delivery tomorrow. No regrets if anything changes.

I guess I just haven't figured that out, but when your sell multiple vehicles to stretch the budget to get the car you want, then the price reduction is basically your entire ca ev cash that kind of sucks. But then I'm still playing catch up to get the plumbing under my slab fixed so i could use $2500 (I'm not in this boat anyways)

Sure it is just money but $2500 isn't pocket change gor some people.

I didn't pay an extra $2500 so I'm not upset my price only went down $500 a after accepting my second reject car and waiting for delay after delay after delay. But I would have been better off refusing the second delivery too because they still haven't fixed my car and i would have gotten $500 price reduction on the interior and maybe even a car that didn't need to go into service and then the buddy shop for paint... I still feel like I'm waiting for them to finish the delivery at this point even though i have the car I get no price credit like the other people waiting to their cars.

It would be much less stressful if they would credit you the difference in Tesla merch or something for the first week or two, it at least the first few days where you can just return the car. Then after that, well you have had the car for a while so don't look back I guess everything eventually gets cheaper... But with the flip flop price tactics I can't imagine people prefer this way if buying cars.

Last edited:
I’m mainly mad that I never received an email saying I could place my order unti it was too late to get lifetime connectivity. I could have ordered a week earlier and never knew it.

Prices are always going up and down, just like a department store. I think the bigger bummer for people is that their options are shrinking. I’m glad I got my obsidian black paint while I could.

True. Everytime price is changed by Tesla, very often I see "No regret! Love the car and enjoy every moment" comments. I often wondered if that is what actually goes in their mind. Or maybe they are so rich that $2K is nothing to them?

I would guess it's the latter.
Many comments I read on this forum make me shake my head at how little many TMC users seem to mind such huge price changes. 2K or 2.5K is an enormous amount of money. Some people have to work for months to make that much net income. Many here shrug such sums off as if it were nothing.

No wonder many people I talk to over here say they would never buy a Tesla because they are "cars for rich snobs" (original quote). Perhaps it has also got to do with the fact that there are no discounts to be had with Tesla. People over here are not used to that when buying cars and many react negatively because of that.