Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those who paid $5K, $6K for Dual Motors....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Life is all about perspective. Being happy and grateful for what you have makes for a better life, at least for me. Being bitter eats at your soul. We talk to ourselves all day long. Telling yourself to be grateful when you tend to feel bitter really works, again at least for me.

Nice for you. Would never work for me.

Tesla randomly changing pricing is one hell of an annoying trait of their business model. No other automaker I know does that. Of course, stuff in general tends to get more expensive year after year, sometimes options change from one model year to the next, but with Tesla, everything seems so random. Why 5K then 6K then 4K, then whatever they decide on next? And why at random times? I just don't get it. It's immensely annoying imho.

Then again, not nearly as annoying as being taken for granted and ignored as a potential customer just for living in the wrong part of the world. Perhaps I should be grateful for what I've got, i.e. more than two and a half years of waiting and being pushed back, while US customers who never reserved and simply order now get their car within weeks. No, I think I won't be grateful for that "priviledge". :mad:

@Austin Powers,

If you think about this a while, other automakers do change prices all of the time. See quote below. The changes are not announced MSRP values, but less publicized rebates. On top of that, dealers deal (I guess that is what they do :)). Often a dealer will sell the same car to two people on the same day for two completely different prices, depending on how well the buyer negotiates.

Tesla is different. Often that is good. Sometimes not so good. It is a package deal, and I personally have accepted that deal, and now drive nothing but Tesla. So far I am very happy with my cars, and my interactions with Tesla. I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to own and drive these cars.

GSP

Seems silly to worry about. Every other car changes price too. I guess with Tesla it's more transparent and not a function of incentives, rebates, kickback, supply, demand, inventory, financing deals, day of the month, etc. that it is with the tradition car dealer/manufacturer sales model.

This just seems like a thread designed to stir things up. ....

That's not the purpose of the thread. Personally, this never affected me as I did not buy AWD Model 3. Sometimes I wonder if I got AWD 3 for 6K over RWD, would I be "really" honest with myself I would still feel great when the new customers pass by 2K less, which is not small enough to disregard.

But more importantly, I was wondering if everyone is ok with the constant price changing. It seems most outspoken people on this board and seemingly the "majority" or Tesla enthusiasts or TSLA stockholders reply with how any automakers and department stores constantly changing their price. Therefore, by that standard, it is normal for Tesla to adjust it by its supply and demand. Also they believe other car manufacturers also do this with constant advertising such as "special event sales." It makes sense and I admire their positive mindset even though it may have costed couple thousands more than today's buyers.

However, I also believe there are people who view that this is different because the car price change is big unlike prices of items in department stores, which typically vary a few cents to hundreds of dollars (as opposed to thousands of dollars). Also there could be people who stretched their budget and to them $2K could make difference in their lives and they really waited long and wanted the car so bad. Unless they love the vehicle so much and getting a few days in their lifetime is worth more, I began to wonder if they are still happy with Tesla' s constant tinkering price. I guess it is all relative.

It is very grayish area whether Tesla's tinkering price is actually doing harm in the long run and I think the forum would be a good venue to discuss.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MXWing
I am so happy to have found this thread. I’m supposed to take delivery at the end of the week and wasn’t aware that the price had changed. I sent an email to my rep. Thank you so much!

@Johnstac Wait ... does this mean they are adjusting for the lower AWD price if you haven't taken delivery yet? It was $5k back in June and delivery is scheduled for Nov 2nd.

But then the price for Red has gone up to $2.5k from $1.5k. Funny how they would only adjust for the lower price (assuming that's the case here).

That's not the purpose of the thread. Personally, this never affected me as I did not buy AWD Model 3. Sometimes I wonder if I got AWD 3 for 6K over RWD, would I be "really" honest with myself I would still feel great when the new customers pass by 2K less, which is not small enough to disregard.

But more importantly, I was wondering if everyone is ok with the constant price changing. It seems most outspoken people on this board and seemingly the "majority" or Tesla enthusiasts or TSLA stockholders reply with how any automakers and department stores constantly changing their price. Therefore, by that standard, it is normal for Tesla to adjust it by its supply and demand. Also they believe other car manufacturers also do this with constant advertising such as "special event sales." It makes sense and I admire their positive mindset even though it may have costed couple thousands more than today's buyers.

However, I also believe there are people who view that this is different because the car price change is big unlike prices of items in department stores, which typically vary a few cents to hundreds of dollars (as opposed to thousands of dollars). Also there could be people who stretched their budget and to them $2K could make difference in their lives and they really waited long and wanted the car so bad. Unless they love the vehicle so much and getting a few days in their lifetime is worth more, I began to wonder if they are still happy with Tesla' s constant tinkering price. I guess it is all relative.

It is very grayish area whether Tesla's tinkering price is actually doing harm in the long run and I think the forum would be a good venue to discuss.

This is a jinx! The moment I said it, in hours Tesla made the Performance Upgrade Package ($5K) free!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sg911
I was one of the 6k awd and $1500 white seat people. The prices have changed twice in last 3 weeks. I did the mvpa today and the car was $2500 cheaper on the paperwork... So at least if you don't have a MVPA yet you should get current price when they draw it up. Ordered 10/4 scheduled for 11/3.