Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those with the Vehicle may not restart message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

My wife was driving our 2017 75D when it threw the beloved message and the car powered down and would not restart after she was able to pull into a lot. Had to get the car towed to the Seattle service center and they were able to schedule a service appointment for the next day.

For those who've had this experience, how long did it take to diagnose?

When I message them through the app on how the car is coming along, they said it's a fault with the HVIL and they are still diagnosing. It's been about a week now and since my work is really close by, I dropped by to take a look and my car was still parked in the same spot outside.

I had similar problem with 2022 MSLR. They also started with the interlock loop as suspect. Then changed mind to low voltage system. Nothing definitively fixed but they did go thru all connectors and harnesses looking for pinched wires and loose connectors. I got it back after 12 days. So far so good.

Hi All,

My wife was driving our 2017 75D when it threw the beloved message and the car powered down and would not restart after she was able to pull into a lot. Had to get the car towed to the Seattle service center and they were able to schedule a service appointment for the next day.

When I message them through the app on how the car is coming along, they said it's a fault with the HVIL and they are still diagnosing. It's been about a week now and since my work is really close by, I dropped by to take a look and my car was still parked in the same spot outside.
My vehicle was last seen 15 days ago. I'm having fun with the $100/day Uber credits though. I wish we had Uber Black in my market! 2015 S 60

Last edited:
Hi All,

Hello- I have had same problem recently on 2015 85D. Service center replaced rear drive unit under warranty. Post-service the light came on again and shortly thereafter the vehicle would not restart. Had it towed to service center where they are again replacing the rear drive unit for the second time.
Apparently these drive units are “remanufactured” rather than new and I am wondering about the average longevity of remanufactured units.

Posted this another thread where they had the same problem but here's the rest of the story:

Had this happen to my wife on 8/4/22 when she was driving our 2017 75D. After telling me she saw the "Vehicle may not restart message," I told her to drive to the nearest Tesla service center (which was 3 miles away). After she parked, the car wouldn't restart and it just so happened that this particular service center doesn't do high voltage work. They tried jumping the 12V but that didn't help (12v was replaced 4 months prior). Tow truck had to come get it and move it to another service center.

Got the car back on 8/18/22 and they said it was caused by bad HV harness or HVJB to DCDC. Part number is 1086380-00-A. Diagnostics, part, and install came out to be around $750.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Hi All,

my S P85 got this warning the day after a car wash. drove to dealer. water ingess in drive motor. i had motor replaced
18 momths ago. now out of warranty.
ca has 62 K miles on it.

tesla wants $5800 to replace traction motor. water in the unit implies a bad seal or gasket. no mention of physical damage to housing.

the car runs fine. in the 2 hour drive the "car may not start" message didn't come up again..

tesla has this sewn up. i can't confirm what is broken, only Tesla can service because they won't sell parts or manuals.

seems like a $30 part could solve this wish there was a 3rd party that
could double check their diagnosis.

as the problem is that "car may not start" i'll take my chances for a few weeks to see if it happens again. shouldn't die while driving, right ?

a little concerned about driving in rainy weather tho -

kind of tempted to get a tube of RTV and cover the housing possible leak points.

love the car. maybe time to sell though.
62k miles.

...tesla has this sewn up. i can't confirm what is broken, only Tesla can service because they won't sell parts or manuals.
While there are a few parts that are not available, I'd say about 99% of Tesla parts are available, and often at a very reasonable price (as compared with ICE dealers with massively marked-up parts). It seems a few high-risk parts (risk for owners killing themselves) are restricted, as most owners don't have the proper equipment and skills to deal with some items. You are correct that Tesla does not sell service manuals - they are free. Start here: Tesla Service and set up an account and subscription. The price is free for individuals.

Hello- I have had same problem recently on 2015 85D. Service center replaced rear drive unit under warranty. Post-service the light came on again and shortly thereafter the vehicle would not restart. Had it towed to service center where they are again replacing the rear drive unit for the second time.
Apparently these drive units are “remanufactured” rather than new and I am wondering about the average longevity of remanufactured units.
I'm hearing the reman units last as little as 10k miles...

While there are a few parts that are not available, I'd say about 99% of Tesla parts are available, and often at a very reasonable price (as compared with ICE dealers with massively marked-up parts). It seems a few high-risk parts (risk for owners killing themselves) are restricted, as most owners don't have the proper equipment and skills to deal with some items. You are correct that Tesla does not sell service manuals - they are free. Start here: Tesla Service and set up an account and subscription. The price is free for individuals.
thanks - I now can see some sort of a service manual for my car. Will investigate but what I'd like is a 3rd party to take a look at this.

After the drive unit went out the first time (for no particular reason) Tesla replaced under warranty. After that warranty came out a noticeable clunk appeared. Tesla wanted to replace all five linkages including the integral arm for a cost of $4500. I took it to a Tesla authorized body shop and he tightened some loose bolts for $85 (half hour) and it worked.

I'm tired of having to deal with the long waits at the Tesla service center (last time 15 days). Plan to upgrade to a non-electric that is reliable and I can take to my local mechanic!

Right now it seems I am stuck with having another reman unit bolted on. ;-(

thank you.

Just got the message on my 2017 S 75d. I kept driving home, and the message disappeared. Once home, I made an appointment through the app. The app showed the message and auto selected a service category of drivability. But when I went back to car, everything looked normal. Can’t see any active alert from the center screen.

When the message shows up, is it supposed to stay on the screen?

Tried to search batteries at autozone, got this:

1670186622260.png

apparently, we have 15 cylinders 🤣

No, it says ”no active alert”

my 12v battery is over 5 years old. is It still possible to change the battery ourselves?

Yes, and easy if you have a dual motor. A pain if you have the RWD.

Hardest part is extracting the battery from the SvC. I was not able to buy it from the mfg.

The DCS battery is high quality, and I'm still using the old one in a solar set up.