Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forced power save despite being plugged in? Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just curious if if this is a sign of a potential problem.

I went out to the car on a mild Toronto December morning (just at freezing) because my app wouldn't connect. The car had completely shut down despite being plugged in.

Power door locks opened but both displays were dark. Dash came on 10 seconds after I pressed the brake and said 'systems powering up'. After 2 minutes, the car could drive but main display was still dark. After another minute or two, I forced a reboot. The main screen turned on and the car is now fully functional.

I am concerned about a potential problem because it is not cold enough for the car to resort to desperate measures. For example, I left the car for three weeks at an airport last year during a record cold snap and could always connect remotely.

I am also extra wary because my 12v battery failed last winter during a 3000km drive to northern Wisconsin in -25C (-13F) temps. Even then, the car never shut down completely before being towed away.

Current Details:
- Power save was off
- Always Connected turned on
- Plugged into a basic outlet (120v 12a)
- The car reached full standard charge (370km-ish) at 9:30pm.
- The car was down to 365km by 8am. So, 5km vampire drain is nothing critical to warrant an emergency shut down.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Was it followed by a bigger problem?

I get this from time to time and I also have Energy Savings Off, Always Connected. I kind of expect it at night (because Energy Savings Off still turns on at night), but have seen it in the middle of the day, and sometimes even while charging. Not sure what to make of it, but the car always comes back to life, albeit slowly sometimes.

There have been times, when cold, that my 17" screen remained dark. The touchscreen component still worked, as hitting the screen where the temp up/down buttons were (identified by fingerprints :) ) caused the heat to increase/decrease, but there was nothing displayed and no backlight. You may have had this experience.

I've had many occasions to use some choice profanity with the screens crashing while parked... sometimes they recover, sometimes they don't; sometimes remote access works, and sometimes it does not.

As of late, it seems like I'm rebooting (or walk into the car with the welcome T on the boot screen) at least once a week... which seems to be keeping the system from being alive long enough for the remote access to break.

At the risk of needlessly blaming Tesla for a problem that isn't entirely theirs, I've heard that some third party USB keys (esp the tiny kind most of us use for our music collection) can cause stability issues... never been able to prove or disprove that. I do experience ROUTINELY the car getting lonely and playing music to itself... my songs are NEVER where I left them when I shut the car off. I suppose you could connect that the car plays music to itself, then crashes... hence, you come to the reboot screen...?

Anyway, may want to try pulling the stick and see if it still explodes. Hope that helps!

Anyway, may want to try pulling the stick and see if it still explodes. Hope that helps!
FWIW, I've had the same thumb drive in for over two years and the problem with lengthy reboots (that require a power off to come back) is new with the last 6.x upgrades and has continued with 7.x.