Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Format hard drive greyed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 500GB usb 3 drive plugged into the front usb and it records sentry and dash cam fine but the button to format it is greyed out.
There's nothing else on there and so why can't I format it? Is it too large or something else?

Also why are the usb only slower version 2 when usb3 has been out for so many years?

Teslacam doesn't need anything other than USB 2 to do that. The recording requirements even if doubled up are well within USB 2 capabilities. USB 2 is not a limiting factor.
agree, but wondering if you missed his point. I bought a USB 3 device for this purpose because it was the same price as USB 2. While it might may not make any difference in the car, I want a much faster read rate when I plug it into my computer to capture a backup.

I didn't miss any point. The Tesla USB 2 interface has no bearing on whether you use a USB 3 device and get faster speeds in a USB 3 equipped device such as your computer. Its just in the car, it will be working at USB 2 speeds which is more than adequate for Teslacam needs even if it expanded to all cameras.

The OP asked why their Tesla uses USB 2 and not faster USB 3. Now, if a USB 2 device was bought for TeslaCam then yes, in a USB 3 machine it would operate at the slower USB 2 speeds, but thats not what OP queried. The OP has a USB 3 device.

Solution to Tesla 'Format USB' Grayed Out issue:

1. On Windows, download / install free software aomei partition assistant (Download Magic Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard)
2. Open AOMEI Partition Assistant -> locate your USB disk -> Remove All Partitions -> Format USB Disk FAT32 (32kb)
3. Close AOMEI Partition Assistant and open Windows File Browser -> USB Disk -> Create folder TeslaCam
4. Eject USB Disk
5. In Tesla the 'Format USB' button will be enabled, DashCam will launch instantly as expected.

The issue is related to multiple partitions in USB disk (included unallocated partitions or invisible partitions). The solution above worked in latest 2020.36.11 version. Before the USB partitions deletion/reformat FAT32, tried various suggestions, including Tesla reboot, power off, etc.

1. On Windows, download / install free software aomei partition assistant (Download Magic Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard)
2. Open AOMEI Partition Assistant -> locate your USB disk -> Remove All Partitions -> Format USB Disk FAT32 (32kb)
3. Close AOMEI Partition Assistant and open Windows File Browser -> USB Disk -> Create folder TeslaCam
4. Eject USB Disk
5. In Tesla the 'Format USB' button will be enabled, DashCam will launch instantly as expected.

The issue is related to multiple partitions in USB disk (included unallocated partitions or invisible partitions). The solution above worked in latest 2020.36.11 version. Before the USB partitions deletion/reformat FAT32, tried various suggestions, including Tesla reboot, power off, etc.

Found that this was the issue for me as well! Had a hidden partition on my HDD and used easeus to format the drive properly. Works fine now!

4. Eject USB Disk

What is the procedure in MacOS?