Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Format hard drive greyed out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution to Tesla 'Format USB' Grayed Out issue:

1. On Windows, download / install free software aomei partition assistant (Download Magic Free Partition Manager Software - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard)
2. Open AOMEI Partition Assistant -> locate your USB disk -> Remove All Partitions -> Format USB Disk FAT32 (32kb)
3. Close AOMEI Partition Assistant and open Windows File Browser -> USB Disk -> Create folder TeslaCam
4. Eject USB Disk
5. In Tesla the 'Format USB' button will be enabled, DashCam will launch instantly as expected.

The issue is related to multiple partitions in USB disk (included unallocated partitions or invisible partitions). The solution above worked in latest 2020.36.11 version. Before the USB partitions deletion/reformat FAT32, tried various suggestions, including Tesla reboot, power off, etc.
While sitting in my car reading this post on my phone, the grayed-out “format usb drive” button suddenly blinked on active for a second then returned to grayed out again. This happened several times. What could‘ve caused that?

In case anyone wants to know, I think the issue I had was the card reader. I bought a single slot (micro SD only) card reader and used the same card as before and the Format USB button is available and works now.
Thank you for posting this! I've been trying to figure out why the format button is grayed out. I sent back the card reader that had 2 slots and ordered one with just one slot. It arrives tomorrow.