Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former Model S owner getting a MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an amazingly thoughtful and helpful response. Bless you. I am definitely concerned now about the ride quality (compared to the S I owned with air suspension). This is one of the most common refrains I'm hearing - here and in other forums. Yes, I test drove the Y before ordering. Still, it's a test drive, so I didn't "live" with the Y for a long time. I hope I'm not regretful, since I'm signing up for a 36 month lease.
Did you take it on the worst roads you frequent, or comparably bad roads? If you did and you were okay with it, I wouldn't stress about it.

If the ride quality doesn't annoy you now, I don't see why that would change over the next 3 years. Maybe by the end of it you'll feel ready for something smoother. No car is perfect, it's nice to have some contrast in life, and maybe your next car after the MYP will be something on the smoother side.

I've owned sporty cars with questionable ride quality. The ride quality issues never "grew" on me, I never felt any worse about them than I did when I bought them. If anything, I became used to how they rode. There's worse riding cars out there than a Model Y - they're just not usually family crossovers. :)

Last edited:
I have homelink standard in my Model S and it works maybe 25% of the time. I usually just push the button on my garage door opener instead of even trying the homelink button anymore. I have an app as well for my garage door to open/close with my phone. I don't think it's worth $300 alone for homelink, especially now with app enabled garage door motors.

Reactions: TSLY
If you drive anything other than highway / city streets ( i.e. rural highways) you will hate the TACC on the Y compared to your old Tesla.

Keith
This is exactly right; the TACC (without radar) is horrendous compared to the pre 2021 Model S.

I had a ‘16 MS 75D and currently have a ‘21 MY base. The MY is a much better car in my opinion. The MS looks much better to me and definitely draws more reputation points… but I had problem after problem with it because of early engineering and design decisions. I wouldn’t own it out of warranty. The MY is a clear next gen Tesla taking countless lessons learned from the Roadster, MS and MX. The MY center screen is far better… takes some time to get used to, but the transition was not terrible. MY sound system is much better too. Suspension is not comfortable in either car… MS was possibly slightly better due to weight.

I like the MY so much that I recently ordered a ‘22 MYP.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I just got a new MYP and still have my 2018 MS 75D that I'm planning to sell shortly. Still adjusting. My thoughts:

1) the MYP is definitely sportier to drive
2) it feels a bit smaller in the cabin than the MS
3) I do miss my instrument cluster and hate having to look all the way to the right to see speed, turn directions, etc. I bought a Hannshow screen to fit behind my steering wheel to give me that back, though I'm waiting a few more days to install that to make sure this isn't just an adjustment period thing. Model 3, Y Center Console Dashboard Touch Screen
4) I don't really miss the MS suspension so far but I did replace my 21" uberturbines with 20" Ohlin lightning wheels and 20" tires and I think that has helped the ride quality, which honestly I don't notice as being as bad as some folks feel
5) the center console is definitely more functional than in my MS
6) I adjusted to the new stalks quickly
7) The ride position is definitely better for visibility and makes it easier to get in and out of the car
8) I bought this instead of paying the $300 for the homelink module. Homelink never worked great in my Model S, this has worked much better for me and is a lot cheaper. I just attached it to the console where it's easy to reach. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWFFDSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: El joe and tm1v2
So....does this trigger based on vehicle location (GPS) and automatically open and close my garage door? I'm guessing no, which is the predicament I'm in. I have owned a Model S before and love the homelink functionality as built into the Tesla. So, as I understand it, I can only get that with the MYP by paying the $300+ fee. I'm basically just moaning about it here.
Just get it. You will use it twice a day at least. Worth it over the long term.

I just got a new MYP and still have my 2018 MS 75D that I'm planning to sell shortly. Still adjusting. My thoughts:

1) the MYP is definitely sportier to drive
2) it feels a bit smaller in the cabin than the MS
3) I do miss my instrument cluster and hate having to look all the way to the right to see speed, turn directions, etc. I bought a Hannshow screen to fit behind my steering wheel to give me that back, though I'm waiting a few more days to install that to make sure this isn't just an adjustment period thing. Model 3, Y Center Console Dashboard Touch Screen
4) I don't really miss the MS suspension so far but I did replace my 21" uberturbines with 20" Ohlin lightning wheels and 20" tires and I think that has helped the ride quality, which honestly I don't notice as being as bad as some folks feel
5) the center console is definitely more functional than in my MS
6) I adjusted to the new stalks quickly
7) The ride position is definitely better for visibility and makes it easier to get in and out of the car
8) I bought this instead of paying the $300 for the homelink module. Homelink never worked great in my Model S, this has worked much better for me and is a lot cheaper. I just attached it to the console where it's easy to reach. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWFFDSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So helpful - as this is the exact comparison I was looking for (in terms of my prior Tesla to my MYP about to be delivered).

3) So - this Hannshow screen....I'm intrigued, but lots of questions (not that you have to answer, of course). I took a quick look at the website and features. Who does installation, and does it void Tesla factory warranty? I love that it allows Carplay to work in a Tesla, but I'm assuming it isn't actually integrated into the Tesla sound system (which is a big drawback).

I'd love to hear from someone who has actually installed and used this.

4) Reading tons of people in forums talking about changing out the 21 inch Uberturbines. I guess I'll find out how uncomfortable they ride, but it kills me to think about replacing these expensive wheels/tires....and more than the economic waste, it kills me because the look of these 21s on the MYP is a large part of my buying decision on a MYP. They are killer looking.

7) Yes, I'm currently driving a Land Rover Discovery, so I've gotten quite used to the "high ride" of a truck. The MYP is going to feel quite low to me, by comparison.

I've never owned or driven a Model S so I can't offer any comments comparing the MY to MS, but I thought I'd comment on a couple of things regarding the MYP:

-Lack of instrument cluster: I thought this was something that might bother me, but I realized within a minute of my test drive that I was completely fine with the MY's setup. I actually find that my eyes travel less looking to to the right to see the speedometer than looking down to see an instrument cluster. Also, my head tend to be on a swivel when I'm driving, so I'm constantly looking to my right and left anyway. Two months in I have not missed having a traditional instrument cluster at all.

-Ride quality: The MYP definitely have a stiffer ride than the average vehicle, but I personally did not find it to be too bad, even though I come from minivan driving over the last 13 years or so. I did recently switch to a set of 19" TSportline wheels with winter tires and noticed that ride might have been maybe very slightly less bumpy. I do think the Uberturbines ride fine for my tastes and will be putting them back on next summer.

-Homelink: I bought it and have been very happy with how it has performed. In my opinion if you like the idea of having Homelink, which is really just a garage door opener remote integrated into your car, $325 isn't that much to pay compared to how much the car already cost. If you have no desire for an integrated garage door remote, there's no need for it on the MYP or any other car. Now, some people have reported that it doesn't work well at actually opening the garage door, in which case of course it would not be worth installing. But in my case, it has worked perfectly on 3 different garage doors in two locations.

So helpful - as this is the exact comparison I was looking for (in terms of my prior Tesla to my MYP about to be delivered).

3) So - this Hannshow screen....I'm intrigued, but lots of questions (not that you have to answer, of course). I took a quick look at the website and features. Who does installation, and does it void Tesla factory warranty? I love that it allows Carplay to work in a Tesla, but I'm assuming it isn't actually integrated into the Tesla sound system (which is a big drawback).

4) Reading tons of people in forums talking about changing out the 21 inch Uberturbines. I guess I'll find out how uncomfortable they ride, but it kills me to think about replacing these expensive wheels/tires....and more than the economic waste, it kills me because the look of these 21s on the MYP is a large part of my buying decision on a MYP. They are killer looking.

7) Yes, I'm currently driving a Land Rover Discovery, so I've gotten quite used to the "high ride" of a truck. The MYP is going to feel quite low to me, by comparison.
You can do the installation yourself. It connects to the Tesla computer port and should not void the warranty ( in my opinion for what that's worth ). It will connect to Tesla's audio via Bluetooth, the same as your phone. I'm excited to install it bc I want Carplay, Waze, etc. in addition to providing the instrument cluster visuals. It's a non-destructive install and completely reversible. There is a youtube video from i1Tesla showing the install and usage. That's what convinced me.

Reactions: HokieHaden
So, this is a difference I wasn’t expecting….disappointing to hear. What’s the difference (just out of curiosity) that makes the MY version of TACC perform differently?
They are experimenting with "vision only" TACC, no radar. It was fine when it first came out, but then they started trying to have the camera's look further down the road, and at long distances the camera system has trouble telling if an oncoming car is in the oncoming lane, or is in your lane. During the day on rural two lane highways it drives like a hesitant 15 year old driving with their angry Dad in the passenger seat, terrified of every car coming the other way, especially semi trucks. At night it drives like a frightened 7 year old with no adult supervision.

Keep in mind, this is only in situations where there is an oncoming lane. On divided highways it is only mildly annoying to have it freak out at bridges from time to time.

Keith

• Helpful
They are experimenting with "vision only" TACC, no radar. It was fine when it first came out, but then they started trying to have the camera's look further down the road, and at long distances the camera system has trouble telling if an oncoming car is in the oncoming lane, or is in your lane. During the day on rural two lane highways it drives like a hesitant 15 year old driving with their angry Dad in the passenger seat, terrified of every car coming the other way, especially semi trucks. At night it drives like a frightened 7 year old with no adult supervision.

Keep in mind, this is only in situations where there is an oncoming lane. On divided highways it is only mildly annoying to have it freak out at bridges from time to time.

Keith
Thanks for the detail. Yea, that.....sucks. I used TACC all the time in my 2018 S 75D and it was often on 2 lane roads. And, it worked really really well. I'll reserve judgment until I experience it myself with the MYP I'm getting next week, but this is really disappointing to hear.

I take delivery tomorrow morning at 10am. I snuck over to the Tesla dealer tonight and found my MYP sitting there all pretty and ready to go! I even took the liberty of sitting inside and verified *all USB ports appear to be in place!* At least partially, I attribute this to it being a 2021 model (that perhaps sat for a bit after someone rejected delivery - not sure the whole story?)

Looking forward to picking her in the morning!

I take delivery tomorrow morning at 10am. I snuck over to the Tesla dealer tonight and found my MYP sitting there all pretty and ready to go! I even took the liberty of sitting inside and verified *all USB ports appear to be in place!* At least partially, I attribute this to it being a 2021 model (that perhaps sat for a bit after someone rejected delivery - not sure the whole story?)

After the camera's are calibrated and you drive it for a while give us your assessment of the TACC difference between the vision only Y and your S 75 D.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Keith

After the camera's are calibrated and you drive it for a while give us your assessment of the TACC difference between the vision only Y and your S 75 D.

Congratulations on the purchase!

Keith
Absolutely - it'll be one of the major features I'll be observing closely the first couple of weeks, I'm sure. Hoping for the best, but bracing myself for a let down compared to my 2018 Model S.

Absolutely - it'll be one of the major features I'll be observing closely the first couple of weeks, I'm sure. Hoping for the best, but bracing myself for a let down compared to my 2018 Model S.

Had a great delivery experience this morning at Tesla in Brentwood (Nashville), TN. I was there 20 min before they opened and my MYP was sitting out front. So, I took my time with inspection of the exterior and interior (doors were unlocked). No issues were found, so I went ahead and started working on the car settings while I waited on the doors to open. I signed 3-4 pages, completed downpayment through the Tesla account page and I was out of there. The MYP AP cameras calibrated for about 15-20 miles and all is well with AP.

So far, TACC using vision instead of radar is doing just as well as my 2018 Model S did. Then again, I think I mainly used it on 3+ lane roads where it is known to do well.

The MYP on 21 Uberturbines rides just fine by me. And the look….is fire. Sure, it’s a stiff sports suspension, but I’m fine with that. People on these forums had me really worried about that. So far so good.

Only minor complaint driving tonight is how dark the drivers area is without having an instrument panel behind the wheel. That said, I got home and discovered there is an Ambient Light setting I didn’t have activated. So, I’m guessing this will help.

Best of luck to all. I look forward to continuing to learn a lot from this community!

Attachments

• C488C7CD-ABAA-4CC2-9476-48090268820D.jpeg
    C488C7CD-ABAA-4CC2-9476-48090268820D.jpeg
    784.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 85C899FB-A459-4A18-B34D-2C51E5DC767A.jpeg
    85C899FB-A459-4A18-B34D-2C51E5DC767A.jpeg
    775.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 37EA9034-E19A-41E9-94F9-EAA68FC7B427.jpeg
    37EA9034-E19A-41E9-94F9-EAA68FC7B427.jpeg
    824.4 KB · Views: 49
Had a great delivery experience this morning at Tesla in Brentwood (Nashville), TN. I was there 20 min before they opened and my MYP was sitting out front. So, I took my time with inspection of the exterior and interior (doors were unlocked). No issues were found, so I went ahead and started working on the car settings while I waited on the doors to open. I signed 3-4 pages, completed downpayment through the Tesla account page and I was out of there. The MYP AP cameras calibrated for about 15-20 miles and all is well with AP.

So far, TACC using vision instead of radar is doing just as well as my 2018 Model S did. Then again, I think I mainly used it on 3+ lane roads where it is known to do well.

The MYP on 21 Uberturbines rides just fine by me. And the look….is fire. Sure, it’s a stiff sports suspension, but I’m fine with that. People on these forums had me really worried about that. So far so good.

Only minor complaint driving tonight is how dark the drivers area is without having an instrument panel behind the wheel. That said, I got home and discovered there is an Ambient Light setting I didn’t have activated. So, I’m guessing this will help.

Best of luck to all. I look forward to continuing to learn a lot from this community!
Nice MSM MYP, that's the exact setup I am ordering tonight 🙂

What are your thoughts on QC vs your S?

I’m the same. Just like my model X only looks good with the black 22s, our MYP on order only looks good to me with 21s. If you keep them, might get the Michelin all season pilot 4, and slightly oversize on front. Makes the tire look more square and provides more rim protection. Also much better if you live somewhere where temps go under 40. Just got them for my X and they are fantastic.