Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forward and rear looking cameras record during daily driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S LR ordered for probable Sept '22 delivery. Just a question, knowing how important it is to have documentation when driving especially in the Los Angeles area, do the cars built in cameras record while driving and if so, how big a solid state hard drive or USB thumb drive can I attach?

Yes, the car will record as long as the dashcam is on and you have a USB or compatible drive. I don’t think anyone has found a limit to the maximum size, but 128 GB or larger should be fine. The dashcam only keeps the last hour of video unless you explicitly save it, so a huge drive isn’t going to make much of a difference.

Yes, the car will record as long as the dashcam is on and you have a USB or compatible drive. I don’t think anyone has found a limit to the maximum size, but 128 GB or larger should be fine. The dashcam only keeps the last hour of video unless you explicitly save it, so a huge drive isn’t going to make much of a difference.

I'll add the Sentry clips (captured video around the car as part of the security system) are also stored on the drive if you have that feature enabled and will eventually fill up the available space so bigger is better when looking at drive size. Also at some point, be prepared to have to clear space off the drive.

Like others have said, 128-256gb should suffice.

I'll add the Sentry clips (captured video around the car as part of the security system) are also stored on the drive if you have that feature enabled and will eventually fill up the available space so bigger is better when looking at drive size. Also at some point, be prepared to have to clear space off the drive.

Like others have said, 128-256gb should suffice.
Sentry clips will get overwritten when the drive becomes full. Manually saved clips will not get overwritten.

Reactions: X-pilot
Thanks all. Do the front and rear cameras count as Sentry clips when driving? I rather have a system where the all the cameras record in a loop like fashion with days or weeks storage available depending on drive size. Then if something happens which I hope would be rare, I could save the clips myself. Otherwise, I'd rather not have to deal with deleting clips manually every time the drive fills up.

Sentry Mode is only used when the car is parked. Any clips from driving will be in RecentClips, or SavedClips if you manually saved them. RecentClips will save at most 60 minutes of video before getting overwritten, regardless of the drive size.

Yes, all cameras record when recording -- front, sides, and rear. As others have said, Dashcam keeps an hour unless you save clips. Sentry records events that are triggered, and must be manually removed. Dashcam might also save automatically now when a serious accident occurs, but I am not sure about that. If conscious, save the clip.