Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found blue car in AP2 !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday driving home from work, while driving within the city limts in busy traffice,
I suddenly noticed the car was tracking the car in front of me, showing it as a blue car. I thought this was AP1 only, but apparently its now also shown in AP2. Didn't last very long though, blue car disappeared quite quickly, and have not seen it since :)

Car is S75 with AP2 running 17.34.2448cfc

I would like to know if anybody else is also getting the blue car and since what versions this has been added.

I have the same software version as @Joop79 and I have not seen this blue car yet. I'll be on the lookout though.

But speaking of "fleeting sightings", a few weeks ago I did see (for just a moment) adjacent graphical outlines of cars in the left and right lanes to mine in the binnacle display. Two or three months ago, that was normal and regular. But then one of the updates came along and after that, the "side cars" disappeared and it would only show a car (often just one) in front of you. But out of the blue, a few weeks ago, there was about 5 seconds when the "side cars" reappeared for me. Unfortunately, after that 5 seconds I have yet to ever see them again. I miss the "side cars" :(

It’s been noted it shows the side cars (as it were) when you are changing lanes and not at other times. If it’s really showing cars in other lanes when you are just going straight, that’s a new feature, I believe! (This is AP 2.0, of course!)

Blue car is also when it can’t see the lines but can track on the car ahead... I’ve seen both of these in Erik’s YouTube posts, but can’t locate one this second....

Blue car first appeared in 17.11.3 (way back in March I think). Its not exactly a world changing feature as it only appears when you're in intersections or AP2 has lost sight of the lane lines and needs to follow the car in front until the lane lines come back again.

Its a good thing if you don't see it because it means it either sees lane lines or has a visual and radar lock on the car in front.

Reactions: boaterva
Blue car first appeared in 17.11.3 (way back in March I think). Its not exactly a world changing feature as it only appears when you're in intersections or AP2 has lost sight of the lane lines and needs to follow the car in front until the lane lines come back again.

Its a good thing if you don't see it because it means it either sees lane lines or has a visual and radar lock on the car in front.
I always thought it was too bad there wasn't an indicator for when it *was* using the car in front in general. Or perhaps the fact your Tesla starts and stops on its own is supposed to be sufficient. :D

And most annoyingly: AP2 loves trusting its own lane lines over the blue car mode no matter what. It’s what contributes the most to the car randomly taking a swerve in the middle of an intersection.

But AP1 is kind of the opposite way — if you follow one of those drivers in stop and go traffic who loves to go on the shoulder to gawk at the traffic line (seriously, what do you gain from that other than hitting road debris?), AP1 will enter blue car mode and go off the shoulder too despite good quality lane lines.

There’s gotta be a happy medium somewhere but it’s not v1 or v2 :D

Reactions: croman
2017.34 here and I haven't seen a blue (trace) car yet. I haven't paid attention to cars showing up in adjacent lanes either, as I focus my attention on the road during that time (call it a limited trust in technology ;)).

And most annoyingly: AP2 loves trusting its own lane lines over the blue car mode no matter what. It’s what contributes the most to the car randomly taking a swerve in the middle of an intersection.

But AP1 is kind of the opposite way — if you follow one of those drivers in stop and go traffic who loves to go on the shoulder to gawk at the traffic line (seriously, what do you gain from that other than hitting road debris?), AP1 will enter blue car mode and go off the shoulder too despite good quality lane lines.

You would think with the radar that can see several (one?) car ahead, it could flush out the outlier... :D

Reactions: croman

Yes, both strategies are prone to error but without the blue car follow mode, both would be far less useful but personally I find AP2's blue follow mode to be less trustworthy. AP1 stayed centered better without lane lines. AP2 seems to be less trusting of radar than AP1 despite having a visual acuity that is less trustworthy than AP1 (right now).