Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found the FM/HD radio unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
It is located in the passenger side pillar under the rear glass. Made by Harman.

20180218_124529.jpg

Interesting. Suggests they put it as close to the antenna as possible and it performs all analog operations there, and I'd bet outputs a digital audio stream over the wiring harness (rather than running analog audio from the back of the car) to the panel computer.

I wonder if they originally hoped doing this would get better AM reception but it didn't pan out, so they opted to just go with FM only?

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
So there is seriously no hardware for AM radio ? That may be a problem during baseball season.
What AM station doesn't have an internet stream option of that sort of stuff these days? <---- Actual question. I don't know, I haven't listened to AM in well over a decade but last time a "had to" because son wanted to listen to a hockey game voice cast they had a streaming...and like I said that was 10+ years ago.

Hmm, did you happen to see an aux-input connection on that?

What AM station doesn't have an internet stream option of that sort of stuff these days? <---- Actual question.

Cellular cover is an issue for streaming in parts of the country. I'm on AT&T (which Tesla uses for data) and whenever I visit family in Wisconsin my phone's battery rapidly drains because it cranks up power trying to find a tower (and fails). Had the same problem out west when my folks and I took a 2-week road trip to the Grand Canyon, Portland*, Napa Valley, and back to Houston.

* my latest game was released at PRGE. I was on a panel with Howard Scott Warshaw :D

What AM station doesn't have an internet stream option of that sort of stuff these days? <---- Actual question. I don't know, I haven't listened to AM in well over a decade but last time a "had to" because son wanted to listen to a hockey game voice cast they had a streaming...and like I said that was 10+ years ago.

In addition to potential cellular coverage issues, travelers' information radio stations in the US are typically on AM, not FM, and are highly unlikely to have any kind of internet stream. These are not very commonly important for most people in day to day life, but in certain areas / situations can be very important.

Reactions: JeffnReno and mongo
In addition to potential cellular coverage issues, travelers' information radio stations in the US are typically on AM, not FM, and are highly unlikely to have any kind of internet stream. These are not very commonly important for most people in day to day life, but in certain areas / situations can be very important.
My comment was about the sports cast reason....and I don't get the more direct crossover to "extremely remote" with that, either.

There are a few use niche cases remaining for AM. Because 3W cell boosters, which I used to use and gave me better coverage than AM when I worked "out in the boonies", aren't really a thing anymore (though inside the Rockies away from the main corridor valleys/passes, for example, take it to a different level beyond 3W boosters....you need a LOT more punch to get signal through several miles of solid rock...I recommend neutrinos ;) ). At which point the use case seems better covered by battery powered AM anyway? As part of a larger "out in the boonies" kit, because that is so niche now. *shrug*

P.S. Did a road trip last year with my son and the few places that were out-of-coverage, because this is a big country with some empty spaces, there wasn't really much radio to listen to anyway. I don't have XM (wife swears by it). I could have switched to stored music but kinda liked the silence, too.

Last edited:
It is located in the passenger side pillar under the rear glass. Made by Harman.

View attachment 281233

Quite some months ago, someone was talking about XM Radio. They said that a woman at Tesla told him that the radio unit in the Model 3 has a plug receptacle that could be used by a portable XM Radio to plug the antennae into.

I know you probably weren't looking for one, but, did you happen to notice if there was a plug receptacle on that radio unit??

Quite some months ago, someone was talking about XM Radio. They said that a woman at Tesla told him that the radio unit in the Model 3 has a plug receptacle that could be used by a portable XM Radio to plug the antennae into.

I know you probably weren't looking for one, but, did you happen to notice if there was a plug receptacle on that radio unit??

I did not look, unfortunately. I would love a good way to get a portable XM going, as the app is a pain to use.

Reactions: pmppk and PRSIST