Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did, for the most part. My car was a particularly bad example. My SC seriously damaged the car on their last attempt to fix the doors, so I decided to adjust every bolt-on panel on the car myself. I'm pleased now that I can finally enjoy the car instead of obsessing over poor workmanship!

Do you have before and after photos of the panel gaps you fixed? What exactly did you do to tweak them; is there some leeway in where the panels can be tightened? I know on the trunk alignment there are two rubber pads that can be screwed higher or lower to easily adjust where the trunk meets the body. How is it for other panels?

Reactions: Picasso
Off topic, but can you share your thoughts on the Homelink system? I've been mulling that over.
My son has a MY and had them add the HomeLink, so when I got my MY, he told me to get it also. I already had the garage door button which I have no problem using. It's kinda cool that the HomeLink opens and closes on its own, but I'm not sure I would spend the $300 again. I'm usually nervous about not assuming the HomeLink will open the door when I'm backing out. I still need to use the opener prior to backing out.

Do you have before and after photos of the panel gaps you fixed? What exactly did you do to tweak them; is there some leeway in where the panels can be tightened? I know on the trunk alignment there are two rubber pads that can be screwed higher or lower to easily adjust where the trunk meets the body. How is it for other panels?

I do, perhaps I can compile into a different thread. All four doors, the hatch, the hood, and the fenders are bolted on. This means you can loosen the bolts, make the necessary adjustments, and torque everything back down. The doors are heavy and you can easily make your situation worse if you don't know what you're doing or lack the proper tools.

Another route is to insist that your SC send your car to a Tesla certified bodyshop. This is definitely the better way to do it if you have a SC that will work with you.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Jasaka25
My son has a MY and had them add the HomeLink, so when I got my MY, he told me to get it also. I already had the garage door button which I have no problem using. It's kinda cool that the HomeLink opens and closes on its own, but I'm not sure I would spend the $300 again. I'm usually nervous about not assuming the HomeLink will open the door when I'm backing out. I still need to use the opener prior to backing out.

Thanks. Have you found that it works consistently and without intervention when leaving (closing the door) and coming back home (opening)?

The wood one looks a bit like the dash on the Model 3 standard dashboard. The white one looks like the Model 3 white dashboard. I wonder if the dashboard trim was really a flat piece with one edge corner molding (like a trim for stairs step edge). So they have to cut off the corner molding before using the rest of piece for the dash! And since they have all these corner trim leftover.. might as well use them for something....

Off topic, but can you share your thoughts on the Homelink system? I've been mulling that over.

It works as advertised as long as you understand how it works. The Homelink sends a signal and the garage door opener reacts, so if it's closed the signal will open it, if it's open the signal will close it. So, for instance, your out running errands and come home and the wife opened the garage door, as I approach my house the HomeLink sends its signal and the door closes. It's not a "smart" system. I can't get it to work on our sub-division gate as it's an older system that doesn't have a "LEARN" button. Bummer I was hoping it would automate our entry gate. And if you're parked in the garage with the door closed and put the car into reverse it won't open the door since your "inside" the geofence. But all in all I'm happy with it. Just remember if the door reacts differently than you expected there is the SKIP button that pops up.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Brown1428
I can't get it to work on our sub-division gate as it's an older system that doesn't have a "LEARN" button. Bummer I was hoping it would automate our entry gate.
You just need set up learning in the car, and hold the remote for that gate in the front of the car where the Homelink antenna is and wait for the lights to flash.

That should do it. No learning step needed.

Yet he didn't.

And there are thousands of happy Model Y owners out there in the last six months. You're saying we should not exist.
He did. Check out post #14 by @bhzmark. Only difference is the size of the piece vs tape.
Screenshot_20200908-174726_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: bhzmark
Thanks. Have you found that it works consistently and without intervention when leaving (closing the door) and coming back home (opening)?
I love the Homelink system, it reliably opens the garage door when I am coming home and closes it when I leave. I also have the gate to my mother's neighborhood programmed in and it just opens the gate when I pull up to it.

also regarding homelink since it seems we are also discussing that -- when I come home the door opens like it should within x feet - HOWEVER - when I leave - it never closes and its setup properly. Since the homelink equipment is in the front - does it need to be line of site? I thought it would geofence calculate...? thanks in advance.

Reactions: Brown1428
also regarding homelink since it seems we are also discussing that -- when I come home the door opens like it should within x feet - HOWEVER - when I leave - it never closes and its setup properly. Since the homelink equipment is in the front - does it need to be line of site? I thought it would geofence calculate...? thanks in advance.
I have a Model S with Homelink that started doing exactly this. I'm wondering if there's some kind of bug or programming issue in the latest SW release. It had been working fine until I needed to reprogram it recently due to an MCU change. I'm thinking maybe the opener batteries are low, so when the car is pointed away it's just sending out a poor low quality signal. I'm going to reprogram with new batteries and see what happens.