Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FOUR active software updates currently - why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Padelford

Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2017
Seattle
Based on ev-fv.com, Tesla is continuing to distribute four different software versions to Model S and X vehicles (I have 2019.12 installed):
Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 7.45.18 PM.jpg

I think this is unprecedented. The only reason I can imagine for this is that Tesla is trying out different features on different vehicles & collecting performance data. Anyone else know why this is happening?

Reactions: technoz
Based on ev-fv.com, Tesla is continuing to distribute four different software versions to Model S and X vehicles (I have 2019.12 installed):
View attachment 398376

I think this is unprecedented. The only reason I can imagine for this is that Tesla is trying out different features on different vehicles & collecting performance data. Anyone else know why this is happening?

Maybe some of the updates are patch updates that require other updates to be installed first? I really can't imagine why they're still distributing 2019.8.x where x < 6, unless A. your theory is correct AND B. they've limited it to vehicles with MCU2. Shipping it to MCU1 users at this point would be utterly cruel. (I'm assuming .6 actually fixes all the problems; I'm still stuck on .5.)

Speaking of which, would there be some way to see that data filtered based on MCU version?

Maybe some of the updates are patch updates that require other updates to be installed first? I really can't imagine why they're still distributing 2019.8.x where x < 6, unless A. your theory is correct AND B. they've limited it to vehicles with MCU2. Shipping it to MCU1 users at this point would be utterly cruel. (I'm assuming .6 actually fixes all the problems; I'm still stuck on .5.)

Speaking of which, would there be some way to see that data filtered based on MCU version?

Yes, there is:
Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 6.20.53 PM.jpg

It looks like AP 2.0 vehicles are getting significantlymore of the 2019.8.4 and 8.5 builds, 8.6 is narrowing the gap, then 2019.12 is going to more AP 2.5 cars. ev-fw.com will have to update their database to show AP 3.0 cars.

Yes, there is:
View attachment 399051

It looks like AP 2.0 vehicles are getting significantlymore of the 2019.8.4 and 8.5 builds, 8.6 is narrowing the gap, then 2019.12 is going to more AP 2.5 cars. ev-fw.com will have to update their database to show AP 3.0 cars.

MCU versions, not AutoPilot hardware versions. The change from MCU 1 to MCU2 happened several months after AP2.5 came out, and long before AP3 came out.

Yeah, I'm stuck on 8.5, too, and at this point, my bug reports are involving swear words.
My bug reports started involving swear words as soon as I started trying to make them on concrete interstates where the microphone is useless even though AP is driving below 45 in a min45 max70 (long-since resolved and apparently due to bad GPS data on a fairly new highway). Seeing as how they only go to the service center if the service center even looks at them, I stopped using the bug report feature at that point.

My bug reports started involving swear words as soon as I started trying to make them on concrete interstates where the microphone is useless even though AP is driving below 45 in a min45 max70 (long-since resolved and apparently due to bad GPS data on a fairly new highway). Seeing as how they only go to the service center if the service center even looks at them, I stopped using the bug report feature at that point.

I've also been very frustrated with trying to make bug reports. I've complained a number of times about this to Tesla and have had the vehicle checked at least three times for microphone problems. Still have issues. The last thing I heard from the national Tesla support folks is that we're supposed to call the local service center every time after a "bug report" to get their support on the problem. Hasn't helped with the microphone issues.

View attachment 398376

One more now: 2019.12.1.1