Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates Stopped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a data guy, and I've been tracking "things" about my Tesla since I bought it in April of 19. One of the items I log is software updates, i.e., date, version, miles on odo, days/weeks between updates, etc.. In the 58 months that I've owned this car it has had 97 updates. Generally, on average, I have been getting an update every couple of weeks, again, on average. The last update was 2023.38 in early October, but since then crickets, no new features, no bug fixes, nada! Not sure why either. I do realize that some updates are driven by the Tesla model, computer, and features, like FSD, but there have been at least 10 updates to 2023.38 since it was pushed to my car nearly 4 months ago, not to mention the 22 updates to 2023.44 and 2 against 2024.2, so that’s a lot of updates. Not really complaining here, it just seems odd that prior to October I was getting updates fairly regularly and then they just stopped... FWIW, my car is set to the advanced software setting for updates and it sits very close to my wifi, so it's not lacking connectivity.

I'm a data guy, and I've been tracking "things" about my Tesla since I bought it in April of 19. One of the items I log is software updates, i.e., date, version, miles on odo, days/weeks between updates, etc.. In the 58 months that I've owned this car it has had 97 updates. Generally, on average, I have been getting an update every couple of weeks, again, on average. The last update was 2023.38 in early October, but since then crickets, no new features, no bug fixes, nada! Not sure why either. I do realize that some updates are driven by the Tesla model, computer, and features, like FSD, but there have been at least 10 updates to 2023.38 since it was pushed to my car nearly 4 months ago, not to mention the 22 updates to 2023.44 and 2 against 2024.2, so that’s a lot of updates. Not really complaining here, it just seems odd that prior to October I was getting updates fairly regularly and then they just stopped... FWIW, my car is set to the advanced software setting for updates and it sits very close to my wifi, so it's not lacking connectivity.
There has been an Autopilot recall, so if your car has it (some didn't buy Autopilot like the $35,000 Model 3 and don't have it), Tesla would do a forced update ota even without your consent nor WiFi nor Premium Connectivity.

Does this explain your scenario?

Did you do any service at Tesla prior to Oct?

Sometimes service put the car in a secret service mode. Happened to me. I didn't get update for 6 months until I requested service in the app for the issue. Two days later I magically got an update.

There has been an Autopilot recall, so if your car has it (some didn't buy Autopilot like the $35,000 Model 3 and don't have it), Tesla would do a forced update ota even without your consent nor WiFi nor Premium Connectivity.

Does this explain your scenario?
That should have been accomplished via 2023.44.30:

2023.44.30 Release.jpg

Sometimes service put the car in a secret service mode. Happened to me. I didn't get update for 6 months until I requested service in the app for the issue. Two days later I magically got an update.
Nope, the last "service" that was performed was at my house by a ranger back in November of 22, nothing since. And since then, I've had 23 updates.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Nope, never delved into the service mode; just my luck I'd e'f something up and disable my Tesla 😅

Just checking for faults is really no issue. Most things are read only and if you are going to execute anything you first need to unlock gateway and that's impossible to do unintentionally.

There are some YouTube clips available where you need to be so you don't have to search all tabs. If you're a data guy you are going to like it anyway

Reactions: S&B's M3
Ok, so Monday afternoon I sent a complaint to Tesla via the app and about an hour ago they pushed 2023.44.30.8 to my M3, why they didn't push a 2024.X version is beyond me. Where I'd normally get an update, on average, about every 2 weeks, whether they were new features or (mostly) bug fixes, this one took 16 weeks... so this makes update 98, two more and I get a fee set of steak knives.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Ok, so Monday afternoon I sent a complaint to Tesla via the app and about an hour ago they pushed 2023.44.30.8 to my M3, why they didn't push a 2024.X version is beyond me. Where I'd normally get an update, on average, about every 2 weeks, whether they were new features or (mostly) bug fixes, this one took 16 weeks... so this makes update 98, two more and I get a fee set of steak knives.
Start counting your blessings.

So u gotta make a service appointment to get an update, if u visited a center recently