Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates Stopped?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, whenever anyone writes about a software update, I have to go look to see if I'm getting one; and lo and behold, I'm getting 44.30.14. What?!? Still last year's? That's the text recall thing. I already have my fonts set for large.
IMG_2957.jpeg

Is there any indication of how long Tesla will support vehicles or specific hardware?

Do the oldest Model S continue to get updates and tweaks? Or just security/safety changes at this point ~10 years on?

Any indications they would drop support for the atom VS ryzen at any speculated point? Or possibly has support already diminished?

Curious how that is speculated to work with a vehicle SO dependent on software? Seems a little more fuzzy than a mobile device loosing support as a rough analog.

Ok, so Monday afternoon I sent a complaint to Tesla via the app and about an hour ago they pushed 2023.44.30.8 to my M3, why they didn't push a 2024.X version is beyond me. Where I'd normally get an update, on average, about every 2 weeks, whether they were new features or (mostly) bug fixes, this one took 16 weeks... so this makes update 98, two more and I get a fee set of steak knives.
I sent a complaint, and I was ignored. Lucky you!

I'm a data guy, and I've been tracking "things" about my Tesla since I bought it in April of 19. One of the items I log is software updates, i.e., date, version, miles on odo, days/weeks between updates, etc.. In the 58 months that I've owned this car it has had 97 updates. Generally, on average, I have been getting an update every couple of weeks, again, on average. The last update was 2023.38 in early October, but since then crickets, no new features, no bug fixes, nada! Not sure why either. I do realize that some updates are driven by the Tesla model, computer, and features, like FSD, but there have been at least 10 updates to 2023.38 since it was pushed to my car nearly 4 months ago, not to mention the 22 updates to 2023.44 and 2 against 2024.2, so that’s a lot of updates. Not really complaining here, it just seems odd that prior to October I was getting updates fairly regularly and then they just stopped... FWIW, my car is set to the advanced software setting for updates and it sits very close to my Wi-Fi, so it's not lacking connectivity.
You are lucky! I'm a data guy myself. After watching software deployment thought www.teslafi.com, my stomach turns. I have a 2023 Model 3 and have had two software updates since Sept 30, 2023. I guess I should be lucky for that.

Is there any indication of how long Tesla will support vehicles or specific hardware?

Do the oldest Model S continue to get updates and tweaks? Or just security/safety changes at this point ~10 years on?

Any indications they would drop support for the atom VS ryzen at any speculated point? Or possibly has support already diminished?

Curious how that is speculated to work with a vehicle SO dependent on software? Seems a little more fuzzy than a mobile device loosing support as a rough analog.
We have a ten year old Model S, and have had it for just over three years. When we bought it, it was on the original MCU1 and we had hardly any updates. This time last year, we paid to upgrade to MCU2 and since then we have had regular updates, the most recent being earlier this week. So, yes, they are still looking after it. BUT, and this is a big BUT. The hardware is the same. They can update the software / firmware and I am pleased that they do. But it is still a ten year old car and will never have anything like the tech found on a modern Tesla. It has been out of warranty for almost two years. Not wishing to tempt fate, it has been good and reliable (other than door handles). However, it has crossed my mind that one day they may just stop supporting it. That would be a shame and make owning it difficult and also make it difficult to sell. For now though, they appear to support and we are satisfied customers / owners.

MCU1 still gets the occasional recall update and such, but certainly hasn't been getting the same attention as newer hardware. I'm sure that same fate is in store for Atom MCUs eventually. And eventually our Ryzen cars will be outdated too.

It is a little disappointing that Tesla seems to have shifted from a policy of designing things to be upgradable (e.g MCU1 -> MCU 2, HW2 ->3) to now just forcing you to upgrade cars altogether. I get it from a business standpoint... but I'm a consumer, not a tesla shareholder, so it's still disappointing.

Reactions: rotarypower101