Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Public Charging - Any Users?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what's meant by "6kwh" chargers. Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power. Energy is measured in kWh.

Charge at 6 kW * 1 hour --> 6 kWh came out of the "wall". Multiply units and values. 6 kW * 2 hours --> 12 kWh

Not sure what's meant by "I charge as much as I can (3/6kwh) while in town, but if I'm looking for a full charge, I will leave the car charging in the public garage and take the bus home for a few hours and return when it's charged."

If you only got 3 or 6 kWh, that's not much energy in relation to whatever you car's battery pack usable capacity is.... 75 kWh?

What are "TYPE 4" chargers?
Faster than type 3-I think 10-15 minutes for 80%

Hey if u have the time, free is free. If u don’t have time or live in an apartment then super charge.

I truly don’t comprehend how new buildings go up in 2023, 2024 and no charging stations or why every new school, shopping center, hotel, medical complex, etc and not one single charger-WTF ?

Not sure what's meant by "6kwh" chargers. Charging rate is measured in kW, a unit of power. Energy is measured in kWh.

Charge at 6 kW * 1 hour --> 6 kWh came out of the "wall". Multiply units and values. 6 kW * 2 hours --> 12 kWh

Not sure what's meant by "I charge as much as I can (3/6kwh) while in town, but if I'm looking for a full charge, I will leave the car charging in the public garage and take the bus home for a few hours and return when it's charged."

If you only got 3 or 6 kWh, that's not much energy in relation to whatever you car's battery pack usable capacity is.... 75 kWh?

What are "TYPE 4" chargers?
Faster charge speed or lower time to charge.

Over the past year, 88% of my charging has been done at no cost to me at a few free public charging locations (CCS, J1772, NACS, and NEMA 14-50) near areas I frequent.

This helps offset the higher cost of TIRD (tires, insurance, registration, and depreciation). :)

IMG_7171.jpg

Reactions: David99
Used to have free L2 charging at work but when that went away (work, not the chargers), the last times I've used free charging would be at a Fred Meyer in Brookings, OR and an EVCS station in Ashland, OR. Both are/were DCFC charging stations. Nice to be able to get 50-60% in about an hour.

I was at the Junior Olympics Water Polo qualifiers last weekend and, much to my surprise, the parking lot (of the high school where the tournament was being held) had an array of 12 free L2 chargers. The tournament was being held about 40 miles from my home (and we were there Fri, Sat, and Sun) so the free charge was nice.

Plugshare?
I tried plug share meh too complex. Can’t anyone invent one simple free charger location app. U academics complicate everything and miss out on the simple stuff needed. Like I should be able to say “show me all free chargers near my location” and instantly I should see a list of all the available free chargers. Click one boom navigation kicks in…..million dollar idea for u tech people.

I tried plug share meh too complex. Can’t anyone invent one simple free charger location app. U academics complicate everything and miss out on the simple stuff needed. Like I should be able to say “show me all free chargers near my location” and instantly I should see a list of all the available free chargers. Click one boom navigation kicks in…..million dollar idea for u tech people.

I'll create one for you. Wait a second, my time isn't free, so I'll charge you for it.

You want free cake and it fed to you. Good luck!