Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"free supercharging for life"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how could that be? no presented bill of sale, no DMV, no registration, no title transfer? I am looking at flying into another city...doing the deal and having escrow.com release funds once I have FUSC in app. But again not sure I get that Tesla automatically transfers ownership without some elongated process and paperwork.
Correct. Private party seller did everything in the app/website logged in with their tesla account. Scary how easy it would be for a hacker to "steal" your car though. I'd make use of the 2 factor authentication feature of your tesla account.

Anyway the DMV and bill of sale thing is more likely needed for dealer purchases. I picked mine up on a Sunday. DMV was closed. Had free supercharging available immediately. Several people have said the same thing in different ways. I can't be any more clear. Good luck with your purchase. If it has SC01 and the seller didn't have Tesla remove it with their incentive to buy a new Model S with time-limited free supercharging earlier this year, you will be fine.

Sorry if I wasn't clear answering the escrow question. I clicked something on the escrow dot com transaction page signifying I received the car and was happy with it and then they released his funds. I was without funds and car a couple days before pickup and he was probably without car and funds a couple days afterwards until he received the wire or whatever they did.

Do you mean state in a contract that buyer will pay something like 25K and will pay remaining balance once sco1 transfers?
No, I think he was meaning that if FUSC doesn't transfer because the seller did something to prevent it, like turning it into 6 years of Supercharging on a new vehicle they bought, that the seller would pay the buyer some amount of money, say $6k, for the loss of FUSC. (Or you could have it that the entire transaction unwinds.)

Everything that matters should be in an agreement of understanding in writing signed and dated by buyer and seller. If FUSC does not transfer, both parties should be in agreement on what happens (maybe just give the car back and refund amounts paid -- whatever you both agree to.)
Yes but that gets back to to central point of my last post. I dont get the process itself. Suppose you and I right now decided just for fun to ping pong your ownership back and forth to me then back to you all day long...really??

and what happens if deal falls through, owner who just gave up ownership can be confident to turn right around and reclaim it?

...all in the app with no live person from Tesla in the mix?

Yes but that gets back to to central point of my last post. I dont get the process itself. Suppose you and I right now decided just for fun to ping pong your ownership back and forth to me then back to you all day long...really??

and what happens if deal falls through, owner who just gave up ownership can be confident to turn right around and reclaim it?

...all in the app with no live person from Tesla in the mix?
That stuff could all get worked out in a day or two, as long as you both have a written agreement. Call Tesla and explain the situation.

Reactions: bobmane

If you purchased your vehicle through a third party, you will need to claim ownership of the vehicle. To claim ownership of a vehicle, make sure you have access to Wi-Fi and the vehicle, then follow these steps:
  1. Open the Tesla app.
  2. Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap ‘Add/Remove Products.’
  4. Under ‘Add,’ tap ‘Vehicle.’
  5. Follow the prompts.
You will be asked to enter your vehicle identification number (VIN), upload documents, and submit owner information to claim ownership. Once you’ve finished your request, it can take three to five days for the vehicle to be added to your app.
Note: To access this feature in the Tesla app, make sure you have the latest version of the Tesla app.

**it happens instantaneously, not "3-5 days**

I think I understand the various replies in terms of sc01. but regarding the actual physical transfer though, still somewhat unclear - in this thread users have said it happens immediately in the app. "

gaswalla: have your tesla app ready to go when you take delivery... have the seller transfer the car from his/her Tesla account to yours. You will (almost immediately) see the car on your app, and you will see free supercharging under specs​

livesmith I didn't have to register my car at the DMV or anything. I transferred ownership through Tesla in about 5 minutes while I was supercharging driving home from the dealer and my free supercharging worked before and after that transfer.​

how could that be? no presented bill of sale, no DMV, no registration, no title transfer? I am looking at flying into another city...doing the deal and having escrow.com release funds once I have FUSC in app. But again not sure I get that Tesla automatically transfers ownership without some elongated process and paperwork.
Tesla said I had to submit my proof of sale and maybe one other piece of paperwork that I got from the dealer. Nothing from the DMV. But I questioned that they actually looked at it since transfer of ownership was almost instantaneous after I submitted it. But that may be quicker because the previous owner had already released it from his account or something.

If you purchased your vehicle through a third party, you will need to claim ownership of the vehicle. To claim ownership of a vehicle, make sure you have access to Wi-Fi and the vehicle, then follow these steps:
  1. Open the Tesla app.
  2. Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner.
  3. Tap ‘Add/Remove Products.’
  4. Under ‘Add,’ tap ‘Vehicle.’
  5. Follow the prompts.
You will be asked to enter your vehicle identification number (VIN), upload documents, and submit owner information to claim ownership. Once you’ve finished your request, it can take three to five days for the vehicle to be added to your app.
Note: To access this feature in the Tesla app, make sure you have the latest version of the Tesla app.

**it happens instantaneously, not "3-5 days**
Mine also required me to rename the car to something unique which would verify that I was actually in the car.