Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"free supercharging for life"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to buy a tesla that seller says has "free supercharging for life" included. but as we all know tesla does not always honor that if the car is sold. but the point is, if i buy I wont know untill i go register the car - then contact tesla saying I am new owner - or - I dont have to register it yet - and seller and I both can go into our repective Tesla app/accounts and deem me the new owner? quite a big differnce.

What year/trim?

Search here and you will find out how to ask the seller to go verify that the car has the "SC01" code that denotes free unlimited supercharging. Otherwise, put it into the sales contract so you have recourse if FUSC is stripped away when you take ownership.

I am talking more about the process than the verification of the "SC01" code. Lets assume first owner 2015 private sale and yes it absolutely has the "SC01" code. With those variables out of the way.....does sold mean registered in my name - or - sold just because we - two parties - say it is sold.

Like i give seller money, we sign a bill of sale, seller signs title over and immediately opens app and removes the car. then I open my telsa account and add the car.

or would i have to go to dmv and register it - wait for new title etc - before adding it to my tesla account and seeing if tesla transferd it

I am talking more about the process than the verification of the "SC01" code. Lets assume first owner 2015 private sale and yes it absolutely has the "SC01" code. With those variables out of the way.....does sold mean registered in my name - or - sold just because we - two parties - say it is sold.

Like i give seller money, we sign a bill of sale, seller signs title over and immediately opens app and removes the car. then I open my telsa account and add the car.

or would i have to go to dmv and register it - wait for new title etc - before adding it to my tesla account and seeing if tesla transferd it
I didn't have to register my car at the DMV or anything. I transferred ownership through Tesla in about 5 minutes while I was supercharging driving home from the dealer and my free supercharging worked before and after that transfer.

have your tesla app ready to go when you take delivery... have the seller transfer the car from his/her Tesla account to yours. You will (almost immediately) see the car on your app, and you will see free supercharging under specs. heck, go to a supercharger, transfer the car to your account, and then proceed to supercharge.
Come with a cashier's check or similar so the seller knows the sale will happen.
I did this and can vouch for this approach... as noted, you really have no issues with FUSC transferring anyways

Free supercharging for life on even early models can be sold by the owner to Tesla so that it does not transfer. If I were in the market, I would sell the UFSS to Tesla, but the seller must be honest with the buyer. The car will still have SC01 as the code, I believe. It ain't like it used to be. UFSC can be removed from any vehicle, even in a private sale.

Reactions: jjrandorin
i believe y'all just nervous about it...seems like could vary. on telsa website:
If you are transferring vehicle ownership to a new owner, you both will receive an email confirmation once the process is complete. This process may take 3-5 business days. Supercharging credits, upgrades, subscriptions and some other features may not be transferable.

Search here and you will find out how to ask the seller to go verify that the car has the "SC01" code that denotes free unlimited supercharging

There is zero ambiguity in this case, the free supercharging transfers and will be available to you immediately.

Free supercharging for life on even early models can be sold by the owner to Tesla so that it does not transfer. If I were in the market, I would sell the UFSS to Tesla, but the seller must be honest with the buyer. The car will still have SC01 as the code, I believe. It ain't like it used to be. UFSC can be removed from any vehicle, even in a private sale.

I was gonna post what @DerbyDave said. There is at least one thread here of someone who bought a car with SC01, but it appears the owner turned the FUSC in to tesla for a discount on a new car.

That vehicle seemed to still have SC01 but it was switched to "time limited", in that thread. This OP would have to trust the seller or get them to sign something saying not only the fact that the car has FUSC now, and SC01, but that they did not take any actions which might limit that (or the OP should ignore FUSC as a feature and shop for newer cars and not care about it.)

Private party sale for me, last October. I was driving 2 hours to pick up the car, we obviously hadnt signed over any papers yet, but seller figured out how to transfer the car to me in the app while I was en route (he had his funds in escrow). So as far as Tesla was concerned the car was mine with SC01 before the DMV knew anything had changed. That's the best way to do it, private party seller transfers ownership to you in the Tesla app. With a dealer it's not the same process unless the salesman had the car in his personal tesla account so he could have fun with the app?

Reactions: gaswalla
Yes I was looking at escrow options, when you say : "he had his funds in escrow" you mean you put your money in escrow for him - until sale executes to your satisfaction?

For a private party (seller) to transfer ownership to buyer in the Tesla app, yeah it would have to be in escrow else the seller would not trust buyer. And since Tesla seems to say on their website instructions "this can not be undone" that makes it more difficult for seller to be willing to do it

Log onto your Tesla account, click Manage on your car, then Details. RIGHT click Car Details, and then select Inspect. Notice as you scroll down on the Inspect window, the highlight in the Car Details moves with it. When you get to Free Unlimited Supercharging, it will contain an SC code. Mine is SC05 meaning it is not transferable. The only code that COULD be transferable is a SC01. Please note my earlier post that some owners have traded in their transferable Unlimited Free Supercharging for a deal with Tesla. Some of these cars may show SC01, but it will not transfer. Buyers should get in writing with the seller that this option will transfer, or a sum specific that the seller will rebate will be paid in any SC01 transfer. That would be the only way both parties would know what was going to happen and what the result will be.

Reactions: gillmj24
"Buyers should get in writing with the seller that this option will transfer, or a sum specific that the seller will rebate will be paid in any SC01 transfer. That would be the only way both parties would know what was going to happen and what the result will be."
Do you mean state in a contract that buyer will pay something like 25K and will pay remaining balance once sco1 transfers?

Search here and you will find out how to ask the seller to go verify that the car has the "SC01" code that denotes free unlimited supercharging

There is zero ambiguity in this case, the free supercharging transfers and will be available to you immediately.
I think I understand the various replies in terms of sc01. but regarding the actual physical transfer though, still somewhat unclear - in this thread users have said it happens immediately in the app. "

gaswalla: have your tesla app ready to go when you take delivery... have the seller transfer the car from his/her Tesla account to yours. You will (almost immediately) see the car on your app, and you will see free supercharging under specs​

livesmith I didn't have to register my car at the DMV or anything. I transferred ownership through Tesla in about 5 minutes while I was supercharging driving home from the dealer and my free supercharging worked before and after that transfer.​

how could that be? no presented bill of sale, no DMV, no registration, no title transfer? I am looking at flying into another city...doing the deal and having escrow.com release funds once I have FUSC in app. But again not sure I get that Tesla automatically transfers ownership without some elongated process and paperwork.

Also, if doing escrow , what seller would agree to remove their ownership from app "just to see if it works" ?? Seems like seller would not want the hassle unless you can freely switch back and forth as many times as you want (even in the same day??) in the "automatic " process stated herein???

Last edited:
Everything that matters should be in an agreement of understanding in writing signed and dated by buyer and seller. If FUSC does not transfer, both parties should be in agreement on what happens (maybe just give the car back and refund amounts paid -- whatever you both agree to.)