Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging? Or how does Supercharge billing work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After ordering my mid-range M3 I asked for a referral code to be added with the hopes of gaining the 6 months of free supercharging. Figured it was a long shot, but worth the ask. I was told the referral code was added by a SA. At pick-up, I asked about this and my DA said that I did not have any free supercharging and that offer was only for Performance M3s.

Yesterday I went to a local supercharger for the first time just to see how it all worked. Plugged in the vehicle, it charged. Unplugged and drove off. There was no indication of a fee anywhere or a request to input CC information. Checked my CC statement (items hit very quickly) and nothing. Checked again this morning, still nothing. Checked my Tesla account, nothing. However under my Supercharging Status it notes "Pay Per Use Supercharging".

I know Tesla already has my CC on file from the purchase. Do they bill out all supercharging on a monthly basis? I've tried to look elsewhere and can't find an answer anywhere. Somewhere I did read that in your 'My Tesla' account it will show your supercharging history. I can't find that anywhere either.

Any insight would be tremendously helpful. Just wondering if I do in fact have free supercharging for the 6 months or if I should expect a charge to my CC later on.

Thank you!

When they bill, the charges show up in a day or two. You can see them by logging into your account on the Tesla web site and clicking the History link at the top right of the screen. IF you have a supercharge session that you paid for, it would show up as "Home Account History Sign Out". If not, the History link won't be shown.

Many people have recently received free supercharging sessions with no real indication why. I purchased my car in May before the referral program was active, so I have pay-per-use charging. I paid in June, July, and August on road trips that I took. However, the fees for the 10 stops on my 1,500 mile road trip over the week of Halloween still haven't shown up on my credit card or on my account on the Tesla web site. Guess those will be free. On this trip, the individual sessions were showing up on the lower right corner of in-dash charging status screen, and in fact, my last supercharger session is still shown there. These just never made their way to the web site and my credit card.

Be aware that when you pay for sessions, they in-dash and the actual cost may be slightly different. The two systems use slightly different rounding rules (is 12 minutes 30 seconds shown as 12 minutes or 13 minutes).

Also, making sure that your credit card is in the right place. When logging in on your Tesla account, it should be shown under Account -> Manage Credit Card. They didn't automatically transfer my credit card from my deposit or online store purchases to this section, which is used to cover supercharger electricity and idle fees.

If the charge hasn't shown up on your Tesla account within something like 3 days, I'm guessing you would get the charging session for free.

I agree, if you haven’t received a charge on your MyTesla account or credit card yet, you likely charged for free. Usually, if you go check your charging screen in your car, the bottom right corner will have your last charge and will note that it was “$0.00”.

I don’t have free charging, but Tesla often has supercharging stations that either don’t charge you or they waived charges due to natural disasters in the region (hurricanes, forest fires, etc.)

Even when I’m charging at a station that will give me free charging, the car display will calculate how much I’m actively being charged, and once done, will revert to “$0.00” after an hour or so. These typically show up for me on my History page on MyTesla, but if you have never been charged, you won’t have that page.

For reference, if you don’t pay for charging that Tesla intended you to pay for (i.e. credit card declined) you’ll get an email saying you have an overdue payment, and will direct you to update your payment info on your account. Some people say that they will collect this balance from you at your next service center visit, but I’ve had a balance of $25 before and picked up my car from service, and they never mentioned it. The email does warn that your supercharging may be interrupted, though.

It doesn’t sound like you should have anything to worry about and that those sessions were free. Why, I can’t confirm for you.

FYI, I checked the referral page: Referral Program

It looks like Performance Model 3s get free supercharging credit without a referral code, and normal 3’s get it with a referral code, within certain dates. Your DA may have been unaware of the change.

Are standard Model 3 owners eligible for six months of free Supercharging?
Standard Model 3 owners with an order placed date between October 5, 2018 and October 19, 2018 are eligible for six months of free Supercharging. Standard Model 3 orders placed between September 18, 2018 and October 4, 2018 are not eligible for the benefit.