Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freeze my UI and OTAs please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know. It's an owner's forum, we all bring our own perspective.

Just venting into the void.

Not going to be an owner too much longer actually.

After the last update I got the dreaded all your settings are back to default (sort of).

I've been here for almost 3 years, I've seen enough to understamd this place.

I've also been on owner's forums for several makes, VW TDI, Toyota Landcruiser, Subaru Outback, BMW 2002, Toyota Supra (3rd gen) and this forum is by far the most toxic of all of them.

All the others are just owners helping owners figure out how to keep their ars going, upgrade, whatever. This place is 60% full of the most insufferable ----s you could ever find. I have no idea why people get so defensive about these cars.

But whatever. I'm a short timer. Still love driving the car, except when I get in and half my wife's settings persist when it switches to my profile.
I too am no stranger to forums, although admittedly, not car forums. And I don’t find this form to be bad at all. In fact, I really like this community. Occasionally, there’s been a few snippy responses, but somehow I guess I have managed to avoid a lot of controversial stuff. I’m not sure what explains that. But I really like this forum and enjoy reading and posting to it.

More to the point of the thread, it’s always a few steps forward with almost as many steps backwards when it comes to the major software updates. But overall, the car is still unbelievably fantastic for me. And like many on here, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that, even though I might hate the Russian Roulette aspect of the firmware updates, I too am a geek and enjoy the process overall.

But like I tell everyone: these cars are not for everyone. if you’re not into playing the game — how to charge, when to charge, how to travel long distances, understanding cold weather range loss, dealing with the software updates, dealing with the changes to the user interface, etc.— These cars are not for you.

But like I tell everyone: these cars are not for everyone. if you’re not into playing the game — how to charge, when to charge, how to travel long distances, understanding cold weather range loss, dealing with the software updates, dealing with the changes to the user interface, etc.— These cars are not for you.
This has been my attitude towards Tesla in the past.

But it's not 2017 anymore. There aren't 20K porotypes and a few superchargers. It's 2024 and millions of real people buy these cars based on exaggerated claims and, at times, outright lies from Tesla.

All of us, who have spent years studying EVs, get that it can be a bit rocky. You’re never really gonna get the EPA range. You never really supercharge at the advertised speeds. You need to be extra careful when it's cold. You probably shouldn't buy one if you don't have reliable, daily, level 2 charging available. Updates can remove features without notice, resetting the MCU is a common occurrence.

But Joe and Jane auto-buyer who qualified for a $20k used car loan doesn't know any of that. They are frustrated and don't understand why they can't go the whole week on one charge. Why they need to sit in a SC line for 20min, then charge at half-speed at a full station for an hour or more to only go 150mi in the winter. They don't know why Spotify just freezes, why a button moved in the last update. I could go on and on. That's the problem.

I want off the update train. Freeze my UI so it never changes again, like any other car out there.

I'm busy, I don't have time to keep up with the changes, figure out where everything is, constantly re-learn how to pop open the music shortcut, where the favorites are, how to switch between phones.

The UI is not perfect, I'd have done a lot differently, but it's passable, and I just want out. It's my car, stop effing with it.

I know how to avoid updates, I just don't want to have to know or pay attention.

Give me a freeze my UI options, and only ever push security patches or federally mandated safety recalls, with no UI changes. Please.
Did it work?

In theory its a cool idea to make old cars better with new software. In practice, the bugs, broken and missing old features are not worth the one new thing I wanted in 1 out of 10 updates.
The SIR and TPR backlog for Tesla software has to be in the thousands. They get a feature working to ~90%, daily test it, likely skip any kind of IV&V or QA and then ship the feature. That feature then remains, unchanged, buggy and/or laggy for release after release. I'm not sure how, after 3+ years, Spotify still crashes weekly (not to mention the bugyy and laggy mess of a UI).

I know this isn't unique to Tesla or even the car industry but it's especially noticable in your car since software changes and/or bugs can be really distracting. Even minor issues stick in people brains when their attention is pulled off the road.