TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Fremont and Menlo Park Loaners

Discussion in 'Model S' started by modelsmagic, Jun 16, 2013.

1. modelsmagic

modelsmagic Member

Hi TMC Members,

I'm curious to whether the Fremont and Menlo Park service centers actually have any more loaner cars after the fact that so many of them were bought. If anybody knows what type of cars as well as their configs., that would be great to know. I'm looking to upgrade my 85kw to a performance model.

Thanks,
    John

2. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

I'm sitting at the Menlo Park service center now waiting for Enterprise. No loaners available right now. The service advisor said they tried to get 10 P85's, but they keep selling them.

3. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member

Yeah, I love reading stories from "experts" that Tesla is having demand problems. *snicker*

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Toronto had a P85 for only two weeks before it was sold. Fortunately they have 3 Roadsters.

I'm dubious that the car was sold to an existing owner. I'll bet the cars end up being sold to someone off the street who insists on getting a car NOW.

My take: unless Elon bans selling loaners to non-owners, the service centers will almost never have loaner cars.

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

I think they should only stock loaners with P85+ with all features and make the most profit from the sales. Keep the service centers stocked up with these cars.

6. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Agree with this. So far, the loaners situation - atleast in high traffic service centers such as the ones here in NorCal - is ridiculous. Tesla has simply ended up creating a mechanism for backdoor sales that bypasses the wait list and has done nothing on the lines of the outstanding service program (with top-of-the-line spec loaners) that Elon announced.

7. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

It really speaks to the fact that there is a percentage of the car buying public who simply will not wait to get a car and why there will be a need to have inventory cars available for immediate delivery.

8. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Service issue aside, this is good for margins. "Sure you can have a car right now, but it will have to be a top-of-the-line with every option."

9. cleanser

cleanser Member

I got a roadster loaner from Fremont when I had mine in for service. They were out of model S loaners. I didn't mind even though I barely fit in with my 6'4" frame

10. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

I still think this was the intention of the loaner car program. Give it time, eventually the backlog will get filled, and there will be a steady stream of new loaner cars coming in to replace those that are sold off.

11. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Does the fact that in rolling over the valet vehicles they're selling 'used cars' relieve Tesla from potential conflicts with dealer laws?

12. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

I had a loaner from Costa Mesa about two weeks ago. It was a P85 with over 7000 miles and a VIN in the 1200s. Maybe a trade in for P85+ or a test drive car? It was fully loaded and had child seats.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

My understanding is that, generally, that is the plan except for trade-ins that become loaners.

14. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The Denver SC sent a flatbed for my S instead of a loaner. They can't keep P85 loaners in stock: they get bought by folks off the street as fast as they get them in.

15. Raven5000

Raven5000 Member

they should not be selling loaners!!!!!!!!!!! They are for people getting their car serviced!!!!!!!! And if they are going to give us enterprise rental they need to pay for at least half of the gas. I did not buy an electric car to pay for gas!

16. Nixx

Nixx Member

Eventually the crazy demand will diminish. Until then, if they are selling the highest end models, that's awesome.

I suppose, not having MS loaners should reduce the number of people bringing in their cars for service, which would also reduce costs.

Eventually it will all balance out but until then, I hope they make a killing off selling those loaded vehicles.