Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent Powerwall 2 WiFi Disconnects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it just happened again and I noticed the Gateway isn't connected to my WiFi network anymore so it seems possible the crappy WiFi module is loosing its connection and then decides to shut the whole Gateway down since it can't see the network instead of dropping back to Cellular. Or else there's something seriously wrong with my Gateway.
There is something seriously wrong with your Gateway. Open a case with Tesla Energy Support. They need to either redeploy the firmware to your Gateway or replace the whole computer inside.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Hi all.

I've had my twin powerwall 2 installation now for a few years and I use home assistant to do some of the local monitoring, and that all works great.

Home assistant sends me a notification if the powerwall becomes unreachable on the network and sometimes the disconnect/reconnect will happen 6 times a day with the Powerwalls going AWOL for up to 30 minutes. This is something I may never have known was happening without Home assistant losing its LAN connection, as powerwall would just use cellular if WiFi wasn't available.

I have searched for the issue and found a great article on it, and recently put a tplink 702n into the gateway cabinet. Running an ethernet cable wasn't practical.

The 702n is in client mode, and effectively the gateway is fooled into thinking it's connected via LAN.

Disconnects are now a memory.

I post this here in case it may help others, I'm not sure the exact product is still available, but there certainly is a newer replacement that does the same job.

I chose the tplink because it's a micro size device.

The latest software updates although making a wifi reconnection easier, has not arrested the problem with the disconnection in the first place.
Hi all.

I've had my twin powerwall 2 installation now for a few years and I use home assistant to do some of the local monitoring, and that all works great.

Home assistant sends me a notification if the powerwall becomes unreachable on the network and sometimes the disconnect/reconnect will happen 6 times a day with the Powerwalls going AWOL for up to 30 minutes. This is something I may never have known was happening without Home assistant losing its LAN connection, as powerwall would just use cellular if WiFi wasn't available.

I have searched for the issue and found a great article on it, and recently put a tplink 702n into the gateway cabinet. Running an ethernet cable wasn't practical.

The 702n is in client mode, and effectively the gateway is fooled into thinking it's connected via LAN.

Disconnects are now a memory.

I post this here in case it may help others, I'm not sure the exact product is still available, but there certainly is a newer replacement that does the same job.

I chose the tplink because it's a micro size device.

The latest software updates although making a wifi reconnection easier, has not arrested the problem with the disconnection in the first place.
I'm curious how exactly / specifically you have powered the TPLink device. Thanks!

Reactions: BGbreeder
One might say there is of course mains AC voltage available in the GW2, A mains voltage to USB adapter could be carefully hardwired into the GW2, thus providing the 5 VDC for the client bridge **wink**. That would give you a tidy install and a short ethernet cable 30-50cm (12-18 inches) to the GW2 ethernet port.
Any chance you can post a photo or diagram of the GW2 and your power wiring for the Wi-Fi bridge to power it up directly from 5VDC source in GW? I've got the same TPLink TP-WR702N Wi-Fi router and am now trying to figure out the proper way to install it in GW. Any additional information would be appreciated!

For what it's worth, I was able to fix the problem with the app reporting "unable to reach the network". Don't waste your time trying to reconnect the app to the inverter modem thingie. Once connected, the app would lose the network connection over and over again. Instead, by simply deleting and re-uploading the Tesla app, that fixed the problem. Strangely, when I tried to reinstall the app, it wouldn't allow me to login via the app to complete the process. So I was stuck. I called Tesla support, and the girl told me to try waiting for 2-3 days, then try again! Forget that.
Finally, I decided to login to my Tesla account online via my computer. Once I did that, I was then able to complete the login process with the app. Everything was fixed, and I haven't had a problem now for 3 weeks straight. I hope that helps!

After two years of flawless performance, my app was giving errors connecting to the gateway. For what it's worth, after all kinds of troubleshooting, I determined that I simply needed to uninstall the Tesla app, then reinstall it again. Now everything works like a charm, and it hasn't failed for six weeks running.