Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fresno to Vegas with Standard Range Plus Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While not a good comparison, I will offer up my personal experience with our 2014 S85. We live four miles from the Fresno Supercharger.

I have driven from Fresno to Mojave (and returned) about seven times since Mojave was built. I leave home with about 95%. I take Herndon to 41 to 99 to 58.

I keep my speed below 70--usually around 65-66 all the way to Bakersfield. I then go a little faster when driving east on 58 until Gen. Beale Blvd when the highway climbs. I keep my speed under 65 up the grade until Keene. Then I pretty much go with the flow the rest of the way.

I have always arrived with 13-18% battery at Mojave. I don't recall my wH/mile.

I believe that you can make it if you start out at reduced speeds. Dial into the Mojave Supercharger and keep your eye on the trip graph to see if your projected battery SOC upon arrival decreases, increases, or remains about constant. You can always increase your speed the closer you are to Bakersfield if thing look rosier.

It will be especially easy if we have our NW winds on your departure date. However, it is spring, and we occasionally get SE winds. If that is the case, you will need to take the longer route via I5 and Supercharge at Bakersfield - West or Buttonwillow. Kettleman City might work too, but you need to do the calculations. Much better accommodations at Kettleman City.

Based on the attached range study that I found it appears your 2014 S85 will have similar range to mine (Not sure if it's battery degradation or what that is bringing down your models estimated range). Based on their numbers your model would get 199 miles at 80mph which would be enough for me (my trip is 180miles). My plan is to go 70-75 and adjust accordingly. I don't need to go 80mph to be happy but I don't want to be at 65 mph.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190411-101031.png
    Screenshot_20190411-101031.png
    869 KB · Views: 67
Just remember, you will need to make a decision in Bakersfield. You will have 3 options: continue as is (I would want to see navigation estimating 6% or more reserve at Mojave), stop for a quick L2 charge (this would work if you only need 2-4 additional %), or divert to Bakersfield supercharger (I know it is out of the way).

There are several L2 charging options in Bakersfield, use plugshare.com to find one. It will take about 20 minutes to gain 4% on L2.

I normally like to have a 10% buffer on arrival at supercharger, but a lot of your variables will be out of the picture by the time you get to Bakersfield and you will have 60 miles to go. I use the same approach when I fly: I plan for the airport as far away as my fuel would allow, then, before I start my decent, I update by flight plan to another airport closer to my destination if I have more fuel than I planned. If not, I land as planned.