Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fricking Teen Drivers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a teenager just scrape our bumper at the gym and they left a message. I called the number on the message and spoke to the mum. We sorted it out via her insurance eventually and did not have to pay anything (total cost was around $1k).
I commented several times to the mum that it was a good reflection upon her that the daughter left a note.
Our car is 10+ years old, so not as annoying as a new car.

I had a kid hit me, he apologized and said it was his fault. When I called the insurance, his parents changed the story and tried to pin it on me.

Ironic part is that the kids were driving 30 miles to some special religious school, needless to say I wasn’t too impressed by their religion
A lady backed into me in a parking lot who did the same thing. Thank goodness I had her text me her info, which gave me a time stamp of when the incident occurred. Her husband was one of those 'I own a body shop, and we can buff that right out' types. I declined stating that I wanted a Tesla-approved body shop to take care of it since they know these cars. Anyway, I talk to her insurance guy. He's supposed to call me back and never does. I call him with zero from him. I get ticked and leave a message that I will be happy to call the police if I don't hear back from him by the end of the day, and he called me back in 10 minutes. He says that his client 'wasn't sure if my car was moving or not' at the time of the incident. I called Tesla and asked them to give me a statement proving that my car wasn't in motion until after that text message. BAM! They didn't see that coming, I don't think. I was also fortunate enough to have a witness, but I believe my car and text message were the key to my not having to pay for her negligence.

A lady backed into me in a parking lot who did the same thing. Thank goodness I had her text me her info, which gave me a time stamp of when the incident occurred. Her husband was one of those 'I own a body shop, and we can buff that right out' types. I declined stating that I wanted a Tesla-approved body shop to take care of it since they know these cars. Anyway, I talk to her insurance guy. He's supposed to call me back and never does. I call him with zero from him. I get ticked and leave a message that I will be happy to call the police if I don't hear back from him by the end of the day, and he called me back in 10 minutes. He says that his client 'wasn't sure if my car was moving or not' at the time of the incident. I called Tesla and asked them to give me a statement proving that my car wasn't in motion until after that text message. BAM! They didn't see that coming, I don't think. I was also fortunate enough to have a witness, but I believe my car and text message were the key to my not having to pay for her negligence.

Time for a dash cam! What a PIA.

I was on my way to work yesterday in my 18 day old Model 3. It was foggy, and I’m on a 2 lane road behind 3-4 other cars going below the speed limit. Suddenly, I see headlights coming at me in my lane and hear tires squeeleing, I don’t know how she avoided the cars ahead of me, or how she didn’t hit me head on, but a teenager in a Civic that was trying to pass a woman driving a Yukon pulling a horse trailer (fortunately empty...), hit me in the rear drivers side door and rear wheel/quarter panel. The Civic then hit a telephone pole and ended up across the road pointing sideways.

Police cited the teenager - she attempted a pass in a no passing zone, right into oncoming traffic. She almost made it - but clipped the front of the Yukon, went off the road to the right, overcorrected and crossed into my lane, hitting me. When I saw the oncoming car, I braked — which probably saved all of us from a head on collision.

Fortunately all 3 drivers involved were not injured, I was pretty shaken up, but am OK. The 3 can be replaced. Here are some pics of the damage.

Attachments

• 12A16C35-9E83-4C68-89A6-678AC0E34294.jpeg
    12A16C35-9E83-4C68-89A6-678AC0E34294.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 83
  • 727F96E1-79FB-4596-B5D6-E841EDCEC8BC.jpeg
    727F96E1-79FB-4596-B5D6-E841EDCEC8BC.jpeg
    477 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: Leo Snow and P85_DA
I was on my way to work yesterday in my 18 day old Model 3. It was foggy, and I’m on a 2 lane road behind 3-4 other cars going below the speed limit. Suddenly, I see headlights coming at me in my lane and hear tires squeeleing, I don’t know how she avoided the cars ahead of me, or how she didn’t hit me head on, but a teenager in a Civic that was trying to pass a woman driving a Yukon pulling a horse trailer (fortunately empty...), hit me in the rear drivers side door and rear wheel/quarter panel. The Civic then hit a telephone pole and ended up across the road pointing sideways.

Police cited the teenager - she attempted a pass in a no passing zone, right into oncoming traffic. She almost made it - but clipped the front of the Yukon, went off the road to the right, overcorrected and crossed into my lane, hitting me. When I saw the oncoming car, I braked — which probably saved all of us from a head on collision.

Fortunately all 3 drivers involved were not injured, I was pretty shaken up, but am OK. The 3 can be replaced. Here are some pics of the damage.
Oh my!! How scary! Glad you had good reflexes and that you are okay! It's amazing to look at those pictures and realize how much worse it could have been. These cars can take so much force without really looking like it. I wonder what that type of accident would have looked like on an ICE car...

Oh my!! How scary! Glad you had good reflexes and that you are okay! It's amazing to look at those pictures and realize how much worse it could have been. These cars can take so much force without really looking like it. I wonder what that type of accident would have looked like on an ICE car...

Here’s a pic of the Civic that hit me. The damage shown is where she hit the telephone pole... she actually missed the mailbox!

Attachments

• EF8FFD94-A570-4242-907B-ADEB1CADD64E.jpeg
    EF8FFD94-A570-4242-907B-ADEB1CADD64E.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 69
I don't seeing the brake light helping. The brake light in the X spoiler is right at eye level. And they can't see that, or any light, when looking at the phone in their lap.

Maybe one of these would help.
royal-atma-truck-right-rear-angle.jpg
I have been behind such a truck on a freeway on a stop-and-go traffic situation.
The rear Saving Lives Attenuator was raised verticaly on the back of the truck.

Suddenly the driver of the truck decided to lower this Saving Lives Attenuator
without checking if there was any car behind.

It was just by few inches that I wasn't hit by this big bumper.

This is how my day started. 2 weeks old and already wrecked. Teen driver texting and driving rear ended me at a stop sign. Father of driver shows up at scene and tries to explain to me that some damage was there already. Stating he worked at a body shop and can tell how old body damage is. I pointed to the temporary tag and told him body shop workers must not have common sense.
Bummed. This is why we can’t have nice things.
ea8b7165-1927-4c8c-b680-664a837d50bb-jpeg.338713
I noticed recently a car behind me full of teen-agers, I immedaitly pull over to let them pass me.
I think it was a safe decision...

Reactions: J__T and Need