Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Jeep to a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving Jeeps since 2002. My current rig is a 2008 Jk Unlimited with a 4” lift, steel bumpers, and 37” tires. I get about 14 miles to the gallon and am paying $400 a month on gas. I still love the Jeep and won’t get rid of it, but... I have started to look at EV’s.

I originally looked at the Kia, Hyundai, Bolt, and Leaf because I thought the M3 was too expensive and too fancy. Then I drove it.

Now I am seriously thinking about a Tesla.

My issue is, I am pretty outdoorsy. I climb, camp, ride bikes, hiking with the dog, long road trips etc. I am looking at the RWD LR because I want the extra range and I can’t afford the AWD.

Has anyone else used their Tesla in a similar fashion? I’m not taking it off-roading or anything crazy, but maybe a gravel road or snow every now and then. I will probably put a roof rack on it for my bike.

Am I crazy to want a Tesla?

Reactions: silenteski
You’ll be totally fine on gravel/dirt roads as long as you avoid holes and bumps where clearance would be an issue. Same with packed snow/ice, especially if you put some great winter tires on it. Can’t stress enough how much of a difference actual snow/ice tires make.

You won’t be pushing through deep snow in the m3, but light powder and anything packed is no problem for a 2wd with proper tires, even on hilly roads.

For your lifestyle, tbh, a Tesla Pickup or Rivian might be a better fit, but the pricing (and of course availability) isn't there yet unfortunately.

I cringe just looking at dead bugs on my hood on a freeway road trip, can't imagine how I'd feel if I'm on dirt roads or gravel on a regular basis. If you are mainly looking at EV for gas $ saving and can live with the aesthetic imperfections that comes with your lifestyle with the car, I'd say go for it!

Reactions: Revelation
I’d love a Rivian, but the price is way out of my reach.

Since I am not getting rid of the Jeep, it is still an option for longer dirt roads and the like.

I am trying to decide if the M3 would be good for car camping trips to places like Sequoia, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree. All the roads there are paved. My biggest concerns, I suppose are with range and the ability to store gear like tents, bikes, and coolers.

You're not crazy to want, but might be crazy to buy. If you want the flexibility to get off the beaten path, even on paved roads, an ICE vehicle might be a better choice.

The truck on a Model 3 is nice sized. For the camping I do, it's plenty big. But I don't do bikes.

Plan a trip to Sequoia, Yosemite, and Joshua Tree with Abetterrouteplanner and see what results. There is a supercharger outside Joshua Tree. And, if campgrounds with power fits within your definition of camping, you might be fine.

If you can wait about a year, Tesla will have what you are looking for.

The upcoming Model Y is a SUV based on the 4 door Sedan Model 3.

Model Y hatchback will have about 4x the interior space for all your camping stuff, probably have towing capability in case you want to pull a small camper instead of tenting. Have lots of space for the dog, coolers, bikes on hitch mounted rack etc.

Slightly more expensive than the 3 and not quite as efficient, but may be just the thing for your lifestyle.

Google Tesla Model Y for more info.

I had some of the same thoughts as you when I considered trading in my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a Model X. It turned out to be a great decision. Love my X.

I haven't had trouble with the gravel drive to the trailhead I normally run at, though I don't go very fast on it since it's fairly uneven.

You'll have to either mount bikes on the roof, or get a third-party hitch for a hitch-type bike rack, or get a trunk-mount rack. I've seen people here say they've done all three.

If you have a Model 3 around that you test drove, maybe bring some crap along in your Jeep and try stuffing it into the 3? The trunk is big, plus you've got the extra compartment under the floor of the trunk, plus the frunk, plus the back seats if there won't be more than 2 people along (or you can fold down the back seats to get even more trunk space). I think it's a lot, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't enough, though I don't know how many people's gear you'll have.

If you have a Model 3 around that you test drove, maybe bring some crap along in your Jeep and try stuffing it into the 3? The trunk is big, plus you've got the extra compartment under the floor of the trunk, plus the frunk, plus the back seats if there won't be more than 2 people along (or you can fold down the back seats to get even more trunk space). I think it's a lot, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't enough, though I don't know how many people's gear you'll have.

There are 4 of us plus a dog. Last year we did a camping trip to Sequoia with a 4 day side trip to San Francisco in my wife’s Subaru Crosstrek. It has a lot less trunk space than the Tesla, but we did put stuff on the roof rack.

I have seen roof racks on a Model 3. It’s kinda funny to have bike racks on such a fancy car, but it works.

I have a Jk 4dr Wrangler Rubicon with 2.5” lift. I love my M3 AWD, but it has really low clearance and would be lousy on anything rougher than a graded gravel road. Your Jeep isn’t worth much - hang onto to it and purchase an inventory demo M3 on June 30th for a large discount. These two vehicles have entirely different advantages.

I have a Jk 4dr Wrangler Rubicon with 2.5” lift. I love my M3 AWD, but it has really low clearance and would be lousy on anything rougher than a graded gravel road. Your Jeep isn’t worth much - hang onto to it and purchase an inventory demo M3 on June 30th for a large discount. These two vehicles have entirely different advantages.

The jeep is t going anywhere. I picked every mod on it and I really love it, but it’s approaching 200,000 miles and has some issues so it’s going to be a weekend fun project.

I’d get the AWD based on your needs. The range difference isn’t all that much.

I own a Jeep GC Summit and Performance Model 3 ( and I run snows in Winter ).

Like others said, clearance will be largest issue. Folks hope eventually 3 or Y will get air suspension option done day. You could get a used X or S with air suspension.

Long road trips + going out to the boonies is much safer with a normal car imo, simply because of gas stations. Also, the model 3 won't fair well on gravel or dirt compared to something like a jeep or pickup. You'd have to change your lifestyle too much, not worth it imo. Wait for an electric truck.

Edit: Well if you have the jeep for that part of your lfiestyle then having a 3 around for daily driving could make sense.

I have a 2012 Rubicon w/ 3" lift & 35s (soon to be up for sale). And I've had a LR RWD 3 for about a year. I agree with others in here that are cautious to recommend the 3 for your use case. It will go anywhere that any other mid-sized sedan will go on dirt roads, etc. and you can evaluate the storage space by going to see one in a showroom & looking at specs. The only advantage it has on those two fronts that it has is traction control that can't be matched by an ICE. I live in a Denver suburb and my RWD LR is the best car I've ever had in the snow. It's It's not even close. My wife's previous car was an Infiniti G37x (AWD) and The RWD 3, with similar tires, is better. It's much better than my Rubicon with Goodyear MTR's... except for the ground clearance issue. I've 4wheeled on trails with 3+ feet of snow in the Rubicon so I know what it can do. But, on the street, where ground clearance isn't usually an issue, the 3 is much better.

Also, I've road tripped in my 3 to Pennsylvania and in my wife's 3 to Reno, Tahoe, Sacramento & San Francisco (a couple of weeks ago). Road trips are almost as convenient as an ICE as long as you plan ahead or stay near interstates where there are plenty of superchargers. It does take longer but it's really not that big of a deal IMO. In the big picture, you trade the extra time charging on road trips for never going to the gas station at home. And, the seats are comfortable and it's relaxing to drive on the highway, especially with AP. It's one extreme to the other coming from a Jeep.

You said that you spend $400/mo. in gas. I spent around $250/mo. when daily driving my Jeep. I now average about $30/mo. in electricity for similar driving, not including road trips. My off peak rates are <6 cents per KWH so YMMV. Supercharging costs around 24 cents per KWH depending on the state.

I noticed that gas was around $4 when I was in CA (it's <$3 here). You can do the math & figure out the difference. I get around 3-4 miles per KWH in the 3 depending on the type of driving. I'd suggest that you use 3 miles per KWH to be on the conservative side and then any surprises will be happy ones.

Plus, my Jeep seemed to have a $1000+ repair or maintenance issue at least once per year. JEEP=Just Empty Every Pocket. :confused: The only expense on the 3 so far has been tires... snow tires as I mentioned + I already burned the tread off of the rears on the stock tires. It's just too much fun to floor it and the crazy torque eats tires if you drive like I do. :D

I LOOOOVE my Model 3. So why am I cautious to recommend it to you? Any external storage (roof rack, etc.) will kill your range. And, if you're going to go "off the beaten path" it could really turn into a pain in the ass quickly. This is the part where you're really going need to do your homework to make a good decision for yourself. There's been several threads in here discussing roof racks. Make sure you get into those to see how bad it will affect range. Also, you'll need to look into charging options in the areas that you want to go. A regular 120v outlet will add ~1% to your battery per hour. A level 2 (or 240v outlet) can add up to 10-15% per hour depending on amperage. This is fine for overnight charging but it'd really suck in the middle of a day trip. Since you're keeping the Jeep, maybe you'd be happy just taking it when you're camping & using the 3 for everything else.

Good luck!

Reactions: mzairboy
Since you're keeping the Jeep, maybe you'd be happy just taking it when you're camping & using the 3 for everything else.
I agree with this. I can't imagine driving any EV with the battery on the bottom on anything more than a super well graded dirt road. If I look at the underside of my off road vehicle (Lexus GX470) there are a bunch of scrapes. Different vehicles for different purposes.
I'd get the RWD unless you want the faster acceleration or to avoid CA chain controls, it's so much more efficient. Personally I think the AWD system is crap compared to my Lexus (though it might be fixed in a future software update).

Just from what I’ve seen here, gravel roads and snow aren’t reallly great for the model 3s paint. How much paint chips bother you is up to you.

The tires that come with a model 3 aren’t made for snow so you will have to get a set of winter tires and possibly chains.

Personally, I love my model 3 and would recommend it without reservation.