Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From NY to Dubai P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fares:

Nicely done!

what is your plan for charging your presumably US spec Model S outside the USA? J1772?

I ask b/c I am considering sending a 70D to Greece at some point and will have to deal with this myself eventually.

I guess Fares does not come on to the forums much. He installed the HPWC at home. My Tesla is Euro spec so I am installing a "Red Industrial Socket", i.e. a 230/400 V 3-phase 16 A. Still no HPWC for Euro Teslas. All of these details are available on the Web Site under Charging.

I guess Fares does not come on to the forums much. He installed the HPWC at home. My Tesla is Euro spec so I am installing a "Red Industrial Socket", i.e. a 230/400 V 3-phase 16 A. Still no HPWC for Euro Teslas. All of these details are available on the Web Site under Charging.
Tesla are developing a three phase wall connector for the EU/UK, Hong Kong and Australian markets and have promised to start shipping in Q3 this year. It will probably only be able to charge at 32 Amps 3 Phase when charging a Euro spec Model S equipped with dual chargers and will not be compatible with US spec Model S due to the different charge port.

Alex, how did you go about installing the red socket, did you have to get an approval from ADDC of some sorts? TBH, I didn't think there was 3-phase electricity in the UAE, but I just went outside and checked the box - it is indeed a three phase, 100amps circuit breaker in the meter box.
20150624_115057.jpg
20150624_115127.jpg

So 400V/16A would give you 11kw, to match the onboard charger? Any update on your delivery to Tilburg, and later on, to Jebel Ali? Who did you go with for insurance, Zurich? More questions to come later :)

Alex, how did you go about installing the red socket, did you have to get an approval from ADDC of some sorts? TBH, I didn't think there was 3-phase electricity in the UAE, but I just went outside and checked the box - it is indeed a three phase, 100amps circuit breaker in the meter box.
So 400V/16A would give you 11kw, to match the onboard charger? Any update on your delivery to Tilburg, and later on, to Jebel Ali? Who did you go with for insurance, Zurich? More questions to come later :)

Hi Jordan. Yes we do have 3 phase here and you are right; I can max out 1 onboard charger with 3-phase electricity and produce 11kw. That will get me around 55 Km/h which means I can get my daily charging needs in just 1.5 hours. My villa has enough juice to power a HPWC, however it still not available and not really required since I can get a full charge overnight from empty. The electrician will install a new breaker and circuit with wiring of the necessary thickness, and of course the Red Plug socket. The work has not yet been done. My delivery date is Late July, so no news yet on shipping to Jebel Ali. Insurance will be Full Comp with Zurich, the catch being I also have to insure my other vehicles with them and the house and its contents.

I ordered some accessories from Tesla such as the UK style plug for the mobile charger, sunshades for the pano roof and rear windows, touch-up paint, and the tire repair kit.

The wait is killing me...I will not be able to drive my Model S until late August. I saw a signature red on my way to work this morning. We have around 20 Model S's in the UAE now and they are just starting to open public car chargers in Dubai.

Alex

20 Model S's in UAE?? That surely calls for a get-together/rally/show-off event of some sort! JBR post-iftar maybe?

Oops...I need to revise that figure down a little :redface: I meant to say 10. Love the idea of a rally...problem is I only know 2 of the owners myself, the rest are friends of friends of friends, and hardly any come on to the forum...anyway as to the rally I'm in - I bet we can get the press to cover it :smile: Burj Khalifa to Burj Al Arab...

I'd still love to know how a US spec model S can be charged outside the USA. so far the only concrete info I have is a TMC poster who imported a US Spec Model S to Latvia. But I have to go back and find this thread.

My observation is that many of the Model S's we have out here are US spec models; the giveaway is that they have red signal indicators as opposed to orange.

See this video at around of a Dubai Reg. Model S @ 1:11 with red signal indicators: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIJvKSIqcug
I think this Abu Dhabi Reg. Model S is a Euro spec.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ofNDNhs8A if you see the charge port lights.

Fares mentioned to me that he had his HPWC installed at home by an electrician (Fares - when you do come online - can you give me his number?).

Alex

Hi Jordan. Yes we do have 3 phase here and you are right; I can max out 1 onboard charger with 3-phase electricity and produce 11kw. That will get me around 55 Km/h which means I can get my daily charging needs in just 1.5 hours. My villa has enough juice to power a HPWC, however it still not available and not really required since I can get a full charge overnight from empty. The electrician will install a new breaker and circuit with wiring of the necessary thickness, and of course the Red Plug socket. The work has not yet been done. My delivery date is Late July, so no news yet on shipping to Jebel Ali. Insurance will be Full Comp with Zurich, the catch being I also have to insure my other vehicles with them and the house and its contents.

I ordered some accessories from Tesla such as the UK style plug for the mobile charger, sunshades for the pano roof and rear windows, touch-up paint, and the tire repair kit.

The wait is killing me...I will not be able to drive my Model S until late August. I saw a signature red on my way to work this morning. We have around 20 Model S's in the UAE now and they are just starting to open public car chargers in Dubai.

Alex

Good call on the sunshades. Couple of days ago, I thought of you and your panoramic roof and decided to drive my car that has full panoramic roof without the shade (my car has the built-in sun shade, like almost all other cars except Model S), and I have to say, I couldn't drive for more then 10 minutes. Not sure if it would have the same effect on the Model S, but on my car, the sunroof glass was very hot and the sun was blinding (and it's not even very hot yet, only in the low 40s °C (100-110°F) :)

Fares mentioned to me that he had his HPWC installed at home by an electrician

Alex

I'm not an electrician but I assume that the HPWC is wired 230 V hot to Neutral and then also to Ground, but I am wondering how many amps it is able to pull.

it would be sad if the whole thing maxed out at 16 amps given that the NEMA 14-50 can handle 40 amps, and the HPWC can handle double that.

Hi Ames
Where is your car at the present? Has it departed from the US yet?
Arrived in Tilburg or departed for Dubai
Seems like your wait may soon be over What temps do you get in Abu Dhabi/Dubai in summer?
Regards Scarlet

My car is en-route to Tilburg by boat. I can't (nor can my DS) tell you anything more than that. Today is a scorching 44c / 112f. My biggest worry is the container that will be used to bring the car. Apparently they can get much hotter if they are left lying in the sun. Hopefully by the time it gets here the worst of the heat will be over.

Hi guys. I have completed my red plug installation. Details in the link below, I also listed it on plugshare - looks like I'm the first in the UAE :cool:.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...nstallation-in-Abu-Dhabi-Electrician-Critique

Any brave souls want to test their $100,000 car on my plug? I still have to wait until August before I get to fry...er try my 85D.

Alex

I have a confirmation from Tesla that their UMC supports 415V and going a little higher on the breaker (e.g. 20A instead of 16A) is ok. I posted Tesla's response in the thread link above.

Alex

I have a confirmation from Tesla that their UMC supports 415V and going a little higher on the breaker (e.g. 20A instead of 16A) is ok.

I wonder if the same is true of the US Spec UMC.. i'm a little apprehensive about pushing 230 V through one hot wire that typically (in the US) gets roughly 120V -- I know its been safely done b4, but it even on this forum I have heard people say "tesla is really pushing the UMC to the limit" of what would be acceptable for a modular cable/charging device.