Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From NY to Dubai P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you going to try the Norway route as recommended by lmore above?

I'm tempted, especially by the Ludicrous new P90D. I have a friend investigating this. It's a small window of opportunity and I don't know what problems could be faced. Right now I'm going to mourn the loss of my 85D. I'll be scanning the various forums for VIN 88338 and make a nuisance of myself to whoever gets it :tongue:

My Tesla Grin is back :biggrin: <-- not an accurate representation.

I have a confirmed order for a P90D, delivery scheduled for November with pickup in Norway. In the end I was able to organise it through two very helpful gentlemen (one of whom is a well-known Tesla celebrity, and both of whom are perfect gentlemen). I am now dealing directly with Tesla and do not require a middle-man to complete this transaction. I even get the referral discount. I will be able to receive the car directly from Tesla, provide temporary registration and insurance in my name, drive it for a few days and then ship it to Dubai. I could not be more thrilled! So there is a silver lining to the whole 21% VAT debacle at Tilburg - I am now going Ludicrous.

3rd time's a charm (I Hope):

7/2013: Red P85; could not get insurance in UAE, did not finalise the order.
4/2015: Black 85D; forced to pay 21% VAT at last minute, cancelled.
8/2015: Black P90D; fingers crossed for smooth sailing

Once I am closer to delivery I will post an update.

Alex

I have a confirmed order for a P90D, delivery scheduled for November with pickup in Norway. In the end I was able to organise it through two very helpful gentlemen (one of whom is a well-known Tesla celebrity, and both of whom are perfect gentlemen).

Bjorn?

Anyways, congrats and I'm glad it worked out in the end.

Hello Ames;

Sorry to hear your story but every cloud has a silver lining I guess, now you're getting the P90D w/ Ludicrous. Congratulations!

However, I know a few people from Istanbul who have imported themselves Model S' via the Tilburg route. I know that they haven't paid the Dutch tax. Could it be that they are entrepreneurs and they got a full refund of the tax? This is weird to hear this as I've always thought "Other Europe" was always the way.

Hello Ames;

Sorry to hear your story but every cloud has a silver lining I guess, now you're getting the P90D w/ Ludicrous. Congratulations!

However, I know a few people from Istanbul who have imported themselves Model S' via the Tilburg route. I know that they haven't paid the Dutch tax. Could it be that they are entrepreneurs and they got a full refund of the tax? This is weird to hear this as I've always thought "Other Europe" was always the way.

That was the way, but Tesla stopped zero rating VAT for cars sold outside Europe. I was told by the Dutch government tax office when registering myself as an Entrepreneur that they would not refund my money even if I was registered, and that as long as Tesla is selling outside the EU they will not have to pay tax.

A good suggestion, Jordan. I was thinking of a new thread if it all works out to share the details. Right now I am not seeking a wider audience as do not want to encourage people to follow an unproven path. I won't have too much to say until November.

That was the way, but Tesla stopped zero rating VAT for cars sold outside Europe. I was told by the Dutch government tax office when registering myself as an Entrepreneur that they would not refund my money even if I was registered, and that as long as Tesla is selling outside the EU they will not have to pay tax.

So did it not work because you were exporting to Dubai or would it just not work anymore even for Turkey? I'm not sure I understand very clearly.

So did it not work because you were exporting to Dubai or would it just not work anymore even for Turkey? I'm not sure I understand very clearly.

I believe it would also not work for Turkey or anywhere else outside the EU. The Dutch government told me on 2 different calls that Tesla should zero-rate the VAT because the car was going to be exported, that if Tesla was worried they could keep the VAT and refund it to me later when they were satisfied that my car was exported/registered overseas, but if they paid the VAT it would not be refunded to me, Entrepreneur or not. Tesla told me they did not "have that procedure" i.e. keeping the VAT and refunding it. So as long as Tesla are no longer zero-rating the VAT I would be careful ordering from Tilburg.

I have a confirmed order for a P90D, delivery scheduled for November with pickup in Norway. In the end I was able to organise it through two very helpful gentlemen (one of whom is a well-known Tesla celebrity, and both of whom are perfect gentlemen). I am now dealing directly with Tesla and do not require a middle-man to complete this transaction. I even get the referral discount. I will be able to receive the car directly from Tesla, provide temporary registration and insurance in my name, drive it for a few days and then ship it to Dubai. I could not be more thrilled! So there is a silver lining to the whole 21% VAT debacle at Tilburg - I am now going Ludicrous.

3rd time's a charm (I Hope):

7/2013: Red P85; could not get insurance in UAE, did not finalise the order.
4/2015: Black 85D; forced to pay 21% VAT at last minute, cancelled.
8/2015: Black P90D; fingers crossed for smooth sailing

Once I am closer to delivery I will post an update.

Alex

Alex, any update?

I've read of stories of folks who purchased and imported Model S paying Tesla for a technician to do an overseas "Ranger" service. I think there was a $1 per mile charge and the labor rates and travel expenses or something like that.

In which case I would suggest UAE owners could schedule all their work at the same time.