Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front brake squeal over winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I’m the Mississauga service centre right now and they checked out the brake squeal on my car.

Apparently this is a common problem with Tesla brake pads, but I was getting a lot of brake squeal in the mornings (especially evident when summoning).

They told me that the compound that Tesla uses oxidizes quicker and is more prone to winter squealing. The tech told me that the garage was a squealfest in the morning for all Teslas.

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue?

I have the problem too. Mentioned it at service last week for an unrelated problem. Tech said the only 'known' problem was a clip issue in the rear brakes. I was told the noises were otherwise "normal". Not entirely happy with that answer.

I have the problem too. Mentioned it at service last week for an unrelated problem. Tech said the only 'known' problem was a clip issue in the rear brakes. I was told the noises were otherwise "normal". Not entirely happy with that answer.

I got that fixed during the summer time, but this squeal seems to be coming from the front when I am taking the car out of the garage and applying brakes.

This sounds like a re-occurring feature. It’s known the early Tesla’s have disc material, pad compound issues along with backing plate loss of adherence. Fixed by different discs or better brake pads or both. This was noticeable especially in humid conditions and required the correct procedure of refitting pads, not just the ‘sling them in and clip them up’ approach many get away with. Be interesting to see if this becomes the same problem of old. Thankfully easily curable.