Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Camera Housing Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed the last few days my front camera housing looks … odd.

There is some kind of dark residue on and around the glass by the front cameras. It doesn’t seem to impact anything the functionality, other than terrible auto sensing wipers, but that seems to be a common Tesla complaint. I'm assuming this is not normal? The windshield has been tinted a few months ago.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-11 151542.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 151542.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 130
I had similar hazing there after 5 months or so, started giving me TACC issues in bright sunlight. Had to remove the cover and clean the glass. Getting the mirror off was a PITA and I broke part of the plastic; fortunately it still goes in and works ok and no damage is visible with everything installed.

Assuming here but watching when they installed my windshield aftermarket tint they were fairly aggressive trying to get the film edge under that housing so it didn’t show or peel. Is that possibly the tint edge or could they have damaged the seal installing it? Does look like the rough edge of the tint to me.

Assuming here but watching when they installed my windshield aftermarket tint they were fairly aggressive trying to get the film edge under that housing so it didn’t show or peel. Is that possibly the tint edge or could they have damaged the seal installing it? Does look like the rough edge of the tint to me.

That's what I was thinking too, but when I took it back to my installer and he showed me the tint cut line along the edges of the housing. So not sure what that dark residue inside the housing is ... I guess we'll find out after I take it to Tesla Service.

Reactions: Yelobird
The area isn’t completely sealed off. If you look at the OP’s image on the left, which would be the bottom part. You can see the plastic housing doesn’t make a seal against the windshield. This allows a little bit of air in, but not enough for it to really circulate. Anything that gives of gases/fumes or even plain moisture can get in. But if any of it attaches to the wondshield and leaves residue, you have to take the larger plastic pieces off to clean it as @gtae07 mentioned. I’ve also cleaned that area in the hopes of fixing some issues, but also not as well as I’d hoped.

I think mine just got covered up with the haze/gunk that always seems to accumulate on the insides of windshields, just worse with the black underneath it and not being able to clean it well. I followed this video (it's for an S but worked for the Y) to get to it. Watch out with the "twist the mirror off" part, that was a cast-iron bitch to get off and I broke some of the plastic.

I think mine just got covered up with the haze/gunk that always seems to accumulate on the insides of windshields, just worse with the black underneath it and not being able to clean it well. I followed this video (it's for an S but worked for the Y) to get to it. Watch out with the "twist the mirror off" part, that was a cast-iron bitch to get off and I broke some of the plastic.

Any tips or tricks? What did you break? I need to clean my glass and I’m nervous to remove this housing…

Any tips or tricks? What did you break? I need to clean my glass and I’m nervous to remove this housing…
I broke off some of the plastic that's molded over the "stem" of the mirror (there appears to be a metal "core"). It hasn't affected anything with the function of the mirror and it's not visible with everything installed. I would recommend not using chanellocks to twist the mirror; maybe some soft-jawed pliers would work? Though maybe mine was especially difficult and most can be removed by hand, I don't know...