Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end clunk when wheels turned all the way (slow speed) 2021 Model 3 perf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I've seen many posts about clicks and clunks, but not this. Reversing out of parking space and cut the wheel all the way and there's a LOUD clunk. Just started out of the blue today. Does it when turning either direction. Makes the same but lesser clunk going forward in tight circle. No accidents, no objects hit in the road. Any ideas?

Hello - I've seen many posts about clicks and clunks, but not this. Reversing out of parking space and cut the wheel all the way and there's a LOUD clunk. Just started out of the blue today. Does it when turning either direction. Makes the same but lesser clunk going forward in tight circle. No accidents, no objects hit in the road. Any ideas?
A buddy of mine had a similar issue that seemed to start after his previous SW update. It was almost like the front and rear motors were not in sync when the steering wheel was completely turned. It disappeared once he got the holiday update. No idea what the actual issue was, but it's gone now apparently.

Depending on the temperature, I occasionally get a light clunk/pop as well when it's very cold outside. That's the battery cover "oil canning" - nothing to be worried about. No idea if that's the issue here, but I've been through multiple winters and recognize it when it happens so I don't panic!

Thanks all.
dmurphy, today it's 20 degrees colder than it has been at any other point since I got the car a year ago today. -8 wind chill this a.m. So I'll hold out until it warms up and see if it goes away. But I will say this is definitely not a "light" clunk - it's heavy and loud, and as a shade tree mechanic who's tinkered with cars for a long time, it's a bit scary.
VT, you may also be on to something. I'll try a re-set.

Thanks all.
dmurphy, today it's 20 degrees colder than it has been at any other point since I got the car a year ago today. -8 wind chill this a.m. So I'll hold out until it warms up and see if it goes away. But I will say this is definitely not a "light" clunk - it's heavy and loud, and as a shade tree mechanic who's tinkered with cars for a long time, it's a bit scary.
VT, you may also be on to something. I'll try a re-set.

It very well may not be the oil canning then - that sounds like a legit clunk. If you've Supercharged when it's cold sometimes you hear a bang from under the floor - it's the same sound (and the same reason - the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the battery pack changes as it warms.). So that's likely not it then if it's a real heavy clunk.

When it's warm enough that your fingers won't fall off, maybe get under there and check the suspension. There's nothing "uniquely Tesla" about it - typical independent suspension setup. Possibly you have a loose bolt or something.

Good luck and keep us posted! Stay warm out there. Not much better here in NJ.

I have the exact same issue. My garage is below street level and so I drive up slowly and make a sharp left turn at the top of the steep driveway. That left turn causes a clunk about 40% of the time. It is quite loud and definitely has something to do with the steering linkages.