Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2018 built LR w/18" aero and 70K miles.

In the last few months I've noticed a front end rattle. It is not like a rattle you'd hear from something within the cabin. It is a deeper noise from things that are 'heavier', if that makes sense. Definitely in the front end somewhere. It occurs while driving over certain bumps. It can occur at pretty low speeds (< 10mph) if the bump is just right.

Any ideas what this might be? I'm way out of warranty so trying to do some self-diagnosing before deciding if a service appointment is needed.

Thanks.

sway bar end links (99% chance)

100~$200+ to fix yourself w/ adjustable aftermarket. probably less from Tesla but they may go bad?

I have these-

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I have done some minor work to my car (i.e. remove front bumper to fix a prox sensor), but this might be a bit out of my comfort zone. Given that I am well out of warranty, would you consider using a 3rd party shop for this?

Thanks.

Thanks for all the info. I have done some minor work to my car (i.e. remove front bumper to fix a prox sensor), but this might be a bit out of my comfort zone. Given that I am well out of warranty, would you consider using a 3rd party shop for this?

Thanks.
really quite easy but you need a T30(35?) torx and 15mm box wrench...sorry forget exactly (searched to find in the past)
not any more difficult than a bumper as long as you can lift your car evenly on both sides, I used blocks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-16 135641.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-16 135641.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 99
I'll get some ramps and check out the sway bar links. Once I correlate the pictures in the instructions with what I see under the car I'll probably feel better about doing it.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.

I'll get some ramps and check out the sway bar links. Once I correlate the pictures in the instructions with what I see under the car I'll probably feel better about doing it.

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it.
I believe you just need both sides of the car(wheels) to be at the same height to get the links off easily so there isn't stress on one side. might not be necessary?

this is the entire bar and doesn't show the upper connection (but has the correct wrench size for the bottom - 18mm)

maybe this is better... You are being redirected...

good luck, should be relatively easy