Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end rattle/clunk noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front end of my RWD Model 3 has a rattle/clunking sound in the front end while going over low speed small bumps. Like rough roads for example.

I have had my end links replaced which didn't make a difference. I was told there is a new revision steering rack that may help but the service center hasn't replaced that yet.

I have an early VIN in the 500's.

Anyone else have this issue? Was the service center able to fix it? What fixed it?

Same thing here. I have a VIN in the 7000s and it definitely doesn’t sound normal, as I travel a lot for work and so have had a lot of experience driving different rental cars. Took it in and they said it was normal and verified that the suspension components weee torqued up, but I’m still convinced that something is up.

I'm experiencing the same issue when I go over bumps. When I brought it to the service center we weren't able to reproduce the issue consistently when the technician took a test drive and also when I was test driving it. Service center said it was normal, they checked the front wheel area and re-torqued the bolts as courtesy. But the issue became consistent\reproducible easily over bumps.

I'm VIN 32xxx took delivery in July. I don't know where else to look, not sure if it's under the cover above the frunk area.

Yes, I have had this twice; once about four months ago, and now again. I also have a fairly early vin (Alcantara!)... 2200ish. They replaced stabilizer links, as you say. The fix lasted until now; let's see what they do this time. Did they resolve it for you?

The car is in the shop to have it repaired. They made quite a large list of things to check and/or replace. Steering rack, all 4 springs and shocks (to newer softer stuff eew), and the entire front right side of the suspension assembly. Hoping they are able to find the issue this time around. Was told that I can go on a drive with a tech when they give the car back to verify it is fixed since it has been in so many times for the same issue.

Same thing here. I have a VIN in the 7000s and it definitely doesn’t sound normal, as I travel a lot for work and so have had a lot of experience driving different rental cars. Took it in and they said it was normal and verified that the suspension components weee torqued up, but I’m still convinced that something is up.

Definately not normal. I have another 3 in the 75xxx VIN range and it does not make the same noises.

I'm experiencing the same issue when I go over bumps. When I brought it to the service center we weren't able to reproduce the issue consistently when the technician took a test drive and also when I was test driving it. Service center said it was normal, they checked the front wheel area and re-torqued the bolts as courtesy. But the issue became consistent\reproducible easily over bumps.

I'm VIN 32xxx took delivery in July. I don't know where else to look, not sure if it's under the cover above the frunk area.

What I did was found an area near the service center on my own time where I could replicate the issue 100% of the time. It was a parking lot that had rough pavement and a few small speed bumps. When I took the car to service I drove a tech to the same parking lot and they were able to confirm the noise. If its still happening don't stop trying to get it fixed. I don't think its dangerous as ive never felt the car do anything weird but its definitely not right.

The car is in the shop to have it repaired. They made quite a large list of things to check and/or replace. Steering rack, all 4 springs and shocks (to newer softer stuff eew), and the entire front right side of the suspension assembly. Hoping they are able to find the issue this time around. Was told that I can go on a drive with a tech when they give the car back to verify it is fixed since it has been in so many times for the same issue.

Definately not normal. I have another 3 in the 75xxx VIN range and it does not make the same noises.

What I did was found an area near the service center on my own time where I could replicate the issue 100% of the time. It was a parking lot that had rough pavement and a few small speed bumps. When I took the car to service I drove a tech to the same parking lot and they were able to confirm the noise. If its still happening don't stop trying to get it fixed. I don't think its dangerous as ive never felt the car do anything weird but its definitely not right.
What was it about that particularly spot that allowed you reproduce the noise? Was it the roughness of the road? The speed you were able to go? The angle that you were hitting the bumps? I'm finding that if I go on rough roads/speed bumps and take it really slowly I can't necessarily reproduce it but if I go about 15 - 20 mph over semi-rough roads, there'll be like a low pitch knock or clunk sound in the front.

What was it about that particularly spot that allowed you reproduce the noise? Was it the roughness of the road? The speed you were able to go? The angle that you were hitting the bumps? I'm finding that if I go on rough roads/speed bumps and take it really slowly I can't necessarily reproduce it but if I go about 15 - 20 mph over semi-rough roads, there'll be like a low pitch knock or clunk sound in the front.

Mine happens at low speeds. About 10-20 mph. Rough roads like ones not taken good care of. The place I went was a hard packed gravel parking lot with small speed bumps. I can hear it entering a driveway at an angle or going over short but tall speed bumps at about 5mps. Its the sharp bumps that make the noise.

Just following up if you received your car back and if the issue was resolved.

Just following up if you received your car back and if the issue was resolved.

The issue with the suspension seems to have been resolved. They swapped out my older style suspension for the newer stuff. Also tightened up the steering rack and maybe some other stuff in the front end. They also replaced my sway bar end links for a second time. I have a pre write to have the front hubs replaced also. I still have a rattle from somewhere in the dash area but thats another problem in itself.

Similar problem here. Just started tonight, with similar symptoms. Rattles at lower speed (<40km/h), front end and seems suspension related. Barely noticeable at higher speeds.

Here's an audio recording as an example. There are a couple of spots where the phone is vibrating on the center console, but you can hear the rattles over the road noise.

TeslaFrontEndRattle.mp3

• Informative
Reactions: dcdttu
Got the car back from service and it sounds fine as far as I can tell. Fairly quick turn around; dropped Friday, picked up Monday.

"Corrections: Link - Stabilizer Bar - Front - RH"

"Road tested vehicle to verify concern. Inspected suspension and steering systems. re-
torqued stabilizer link mounting hardware."

Darkenergy I have the same issue since I got the car November 2018 and the car has been to the service center twice and all they did was re-torque the suspension. There’s no rough roads around the service center so they cannot replicate the noise. I video taped the noise and gave it to them, I will bring it back and tell them about the Stabilizer Bar.

Video
IMG_2384.MOV

Darkenergy I have the same issue since I got the car November 2018 and the car has been to the service center twice and all they did was re-torque the suspension. There’s no rough roads around the service center so they cannot replicate the noise. I video taped the noise and gave it to them, I will bring it back and tell them about the Stabilizer Bar.

Video
IMG_2384.MOV

That certainly sounds like the same issue. For me it was bad enough that the tech agreed there was a problem as I was pulling out onto the street from the service center. Hadn't gone more than 15 metres.

We didn't have any issues for the first ~4000 km, and then it started one day after my wife had driven it to work for a show and tell with the folks in her office. The highway across Toronto is usually a ton of rough road. :(

Hopefully they can fix it for you with the pointer.

Knock on wood veneer, it has been fine since then...

Do you know if they replaced it or just re-tightened?

I'm not sure. The person who handed the car back to me said they replaced it, but the work order just had the info I quoted. My takeaway is that if it happens again I'll be more pushy about understanding exactly what they did. Certainly if it is only re-torqued and happens again after another 5k I'll want more than a little wrench work...

That certainly sounds like the same issue. For me it was bad enough that the tech agreed there was a problem as I was pulling out onto the street from the service center. Hadn't gone more than 15 metres.

We didn't have any issues for the first ~4000 km, and then it started one day after my wife had driven it to work for a show and tell with the folks in her office. The highway across Toronto is usually a ton of rough road. :(

Hopefully they can fix it for you with the pointer.

Knock on wood veneer, it has been fine since then...

I went back to the service center last Thursday and they said that the tech thinks it’s the stabilizer link and they scheduled me for a mobile service since they are busy. I will update when they replaced the stabilizer link.

I went back to the service center last Thursday and they said that the tech thinks it’s the stabilizer link and they scheduled me for a mobile service since they are busy. I will update when they replaced the stabilizer link.
I'm very interested in hearing if the stabilizer link fixes your issue. I seem to have the same rattle from what I can hear in your video.

Same issue since day one. Checked my end links per local ranger. These are what he said to look for. Mine seem fine. High 6000 vin. Chop or cracks in the asphalt under 25mph and it’s very apparent. Sometimes it even resonates. Almost feels like it’s in the steering column.

Attachments

• EBEF53AE-DB03-4514-8B17-2559E14401BA.jpeg
    EBEF53AE-DB03-4514-8B17-2559E14401BA.jpeg
    656.5 KB · Views: 1,171
  • E8707F3E-0AC9-41FC-9E48-0FDE565F4091.jpeg
    E8707F3E-0AC9-41FC-9E48-0FDE565F4091.jpeg
    624.2 KB · Views: 604