Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end rattle/clunk noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chiming in here - still have a pretty loud clunking noise coming from my front suspension. They're replacing the front driver's strut in a week or so - I'll post with the results.

Been following this for a bit - several of the issues described sound very similar to mine, especially this.

I initially scheduled a visit, then the clunking went away, so I cancelled. It's returned with a bit of a vengeance and it now happens consistently over anything that isn't smooth, especially when the car flexes from side to side when entering an elevated street or driveway for example.

Did you happen to get a fix?

I had a similar issue with a clank/clunk coming from the driver's front wheel well when going over bumps at lower speeds. I went on a test ride with the Tesla SC tech around the parking lot, ran over a few speed bumps, he confirmed the noise and said he'd seen it many times before.

3 hours later they had replaced: spring modules, sway bar links, and upper control arms. (and did alignment).

All better. No more clunking. The whole process was pretty painless.

sounds similar to my front end problem, except it shows as a clicking as the wheel rotates at slow speeds (parking lot) and turning in, hard (st wheel at max lock).

they replaced front sway bar links. that was a week ago and so far, its been great.

I am wondering if this is related to some bad driving experiences I had on certain roads. on an on-ramp to a highway (rt101), sometimes if the road is banked or curved AND there is a longitudinal rut in the road (tramlining) - the car nearly loses steering control for about a second. that's what it feels like. like the front wheel (one of them) just totally loses connection to the control system. I know its not THAT, but trying to describe the feel while going over that bit of road, with this suspension flaw.

I first thought it was the type of oem tire they install. have had tramlining issues with other car tires like this, in the past. but now I'm thinking it was all about the suspension. don't know if they torqued everything they could find, while it was on the lift but they only indicated this, for the work order:

tes-serv.png

so far, so good. watching it and cautious about the whole m3 front end, now. I wonder why some m3's are hit and miss, like this? bad design or parts or just bad build?

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear I'm not alone! Will let you all know what they do to mine next week.

As for the why's - earlier batch car kinks is my theory.

Mine is a '18 LR RWD and have several things replaced, including the drive unit on the last visit.

So far, best car I've owned and best service experience I've had compared to other OEM's thus far.

This last time, I was told via a text confirmation that if it's not excessive and persistent, there's nothing they could do and they wouldn't keep it for service, which was a bit aggressive. Could just be the person who responded, but not appreciated nonetheless.

for my post, somehow a photo of my m3 screen was included. it does not belong here (was for another thread) - please ignore that attachment.

the tesla bill is what I meant to attach and nothing more ;)

do have your links replaced. the photos I've seen look scary as a failure mode, overall.

Quick update - dropped the car off on 3/17, after driving around the parking lot with the tech assigned to it. Was 5 seconds in to the drive where he ID'd the issue.

He mentioned it could 1 of 4 things, but didn't provide further details. Then went on to talk about how people run over and hit curbs. I know you're not implying anything, are you sir? My car and curbs have never met, so don't.

Received a text the following day saying that they need to order parts and that it will be mid next week, but they'll keep me updated.

Also, went through 2 loaner swaps. First was constantly pulling to the left (curb hitters, I'm sure) and the second had it's MCU call it quits on the way to work.

Final update - picked up the car yesterday, 3/24.

They replaced the entire right front strut assembly. Issue is mostly resolved, however, still hear a faint thud/clunk from the left side, so it's likely just a matter of time before that side will need attention also.

Update: A year after getting the car, our local service center was finally able to get replacement left and right front struts for an April 7 appointment, and they were replaced. Clunking diminished from about 100 clunks on the mile of road between home and the highway to maybe 10-15 clunks, but has not gone away. The car had begun to develop a little "looseness" and rattling and "stepping" over expansion joints and railway crossings. This is now resolved and the car feels tight again, but there is still that low-speed clunking which I have never experienced in any other car that didn't have serious wear issues (been driving for over 50 years).

Interestingly, the loaner I got had a VIN only four numbers higher than that of my vehicle, in the 321xxx range. It also had the clunking problem, similar to my car before the fix, but without the "looseness". The loaner also made small cracking noises when turning tightly at low speeds, especially parking, something to look forward to with mine, I guess. The loaner had 11,000 miles on it. This helps me understand why Tesla service people think the noise is "normal".

The two stabilizer links had been previously been changed during a mobile service visit with no improvement in the clunking. My invoice does not specify that an alignment was done, even though a service tech said that the strut change needed to be done at the service center BECAUSE an alignment was necessary after changing the struts. I will look into it.

From my reading here that leaves the steering rack and the upper control arms as possible culprits. Have to see if Tesla can get both those done during year 2 of ownership. Hopefully I'll get it fixed before the warranty is up! Tesla is certainly not very proactive on this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I'm also having a single very loud clunk or pop in the front end - when starting out - in forward or reverse or turning, or when going over a road undulation at slow speed. It almost seems like something broke off or came loose every time it happens. Someone said there's a recall for this in the states? Is that correct? Late 2020 Model 3, 31K miles, stock car, 18" tires.