Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FRONT LICENSE PLATE IN BAY AREA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got Mr. Vader about a month ago and currently have no front license plate.
I honestly hate look and don't see the point, but I guess it is the law.

has anybody had any experience with the PO-PO about the plate? what was the outcome? fix ticket vs fine?

I know there are few products out there that would allow me to mount it without having to drill holes, compared to using the sticky Tesla mount...is it worth the money vs paying a fine? should i wait until the problem arise?

also, not planning on going to LA (where I know they are pain in the axx)

what's your take on this?

• Love
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jeffcm3 and matt4EV
I ordered the ottostick magnetic mount that uses the Tesla Front Bracket and some magnetic mounts to be able to easily remove it if I want. I have gotten two fix-it tickets (both in same city, Los Angeles, once while it was parked like above) so it depends on where you live. I have never been asked about it in the OC, but I put it on years ago, and now just deal with it.

CHP in Contra Costa is stepping up no front place enforcement. They had an announcment recently but I can't find it. Also it gives the police a valid reason to pull you over.

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 10.02.44 AM.png

I think the biggest risk in the Bay Area are not cops but meter maids. Most of the Model 3s I see driving around have no front plates, apparently without consequences. But two colleagues of mine recently got ticketed for a missing front plate while street parking in SF.

I recently mounted my plate (using the adhesive Tesla holder) and honestly don't think it looks bad. In a way it's actually better because it loosens up the "empty" look of the nose a bit. But I am considering to get the yellow on black legacy plates which I like better than the standard ones.

I know I'm on borrowed time when not putting a plate on the front, but not being cited for it for the last decade has left me complacent about it, not to mention I feel it ruins the lines in the front.

I do like the magnetic option, but they are so darn expensive.

I am getting one of the "sticker" ones. Waiting on my legacy plates, then will apply for the sticker plate for the front.

Tested by the California Highway Patrol of Sacramento
Never seen that before - a great idea. Model 3 might be one of the few cars with enough smooth, reasonably flat area on the front of a car to make that work. But I wonder if the police or parking meter person won't be confused and think it's a fake, and give you a citation for no front plate anyway?

Never seen that before - a great idea. Model 3 might be one of the few cars with enough smooth, reasonably flat area on the front of a car to make that work. But I wonder if the police or parking meter person won't be confused and think it's a fake, and give you a citation for no front plate anyway?

Yeah, always a risk. But at least in that case you should be able to have the ticket dismissed, I would think. But still a potential hassle.

They give you a letter from the DMV so if you get pulled over, you at least have that to show the cop. Meter maids would be the real problem.

I saw one recently and had to do a double take...what kind of mount is so smooth! Now I know, it was the pilot wrap plate. $50 hmmm

I think the biggest risk in the Bay Area are not cops but meter maids. Most of the Model 3s I see driving around have no front plates, apparently without consequences. But two colleagues of mine recently got ticketed for a missing front plate while street parking in SF.

I recently mounted my plate (using the adhesive Tesla holder) and honestly don't think it looks bad. In a way it's actually better because it loosens up the "empty" look of the nose a bit. But I am considering to get the yellow on black legacy plates which I like better than the standard ones.

Are folks getting meter maid tickets only if their time has expired (so like a secondary offense), or even when they're validly parking otherwise? I'm in WA so things may be a little different but that was one thing I was unclear about.

I rarely park on the street, but when I do I'm always paid up, so if they're not going to ticket JUST for the plate then that's OK.

Are folks getting meter maid tickets only if their time has expired (so like a secondary offense), or even when they're validly parking otherwise? I'm in WA so things may be a little different but that was one thing I was unclear about.

I rarely park on the street, but when I do I'm always paid up, so if they're not going to ticket JUST for the plate then that's OK.

Meter maids are who I get almost all my no-plate tickets from and I don't recall any of them being tacked on top of an expired meter. They were all just for no-plates.

I can definitely confirm that meter maids will give you a ticket for not having a front license plate in the Bay Area. There have been many reports of being getting tickets parking in the streets of SF.

Seems like cops don't care. I've been in a few situations where a cop was right in front of me and could definitely see that I didn't have my front plate on and they didn't pull me over.

• Love
Reactions: Maximus831